Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At The Gate ~ Elisabeth Strides Last Moments

I don't suppose I've got long now. The blade went through me so quick. It
    felt so cold against my neck. I wonder if the others felt it so cold when he
    cut them.
    Why didn't that man help me? I saw him looking but he walked away, so did
    the other one. They just walked away. But that's our lot round here.
    I never thought he'd get me though, not really. My name will be in all the newspapers
    But I won't be here to read it. That's all they'll see me as one of his victims, another
    "fallen woman". They'll say I was stupid to go out on the streets but they don't understand
    we have to do what we can for money.
    This isn't how I imagined dying. Always thought it would be quick. I feel like I've
    been laying here for hours. I'm cold I bet they've a warm fire inside the club. They'll
    get a right shock when they find me here. If only somebody would come out
    maybe at least they could get me a blanket. They could go for a doctor but I know
    It's too late. It must be that knife went so deep don't think even the Queens doctor
    could put me back together. I don't want to go alone, don't want his to be the last face I remember.
    I thought I could judge them better than that. He seemed so quiet at first then such
    anger. What did I ever do to him?He was leaning over me
    waving that knife then his face went so white, he ran so fast.
    Why won't somebody come out of the club? I think my time is coming soon. I can't feel
    my arms or legs anymore. It's strange I feel so calm now, peaceful like. I think, yes I can see a light, a bright white light somebody must be coming, maybe they'll bring me a blanket

That is truly brilliant Belinda!
    Suz x
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Oh, boy. This gives me chills, Belinda, esp. the part about his face being the last she will see. I, too, have wondered why those guys just stood there and did nothing.

Good job.

Celesta
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

It was the 'Maybe they'll bring me a blanket' for the second time that made me cry

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
          It was the 'Maybe they'll bring me a blanket' for the second time that made me cry
          I posted a response to this earlier in the evening but it's not here. I don't get it. What is going on? That was the second post that has not posted. Weird.

I said something like "Oh. Oh, my. I see what you mean. It gets me, too."
          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Thank You It ends a bit abruptly because I gave myself the heebee gee bees writing it.

An online friend of mine who's an Editor said I should take the second blanket reference out I'm glad I left it there now

Comment

So am I !
              Suz x

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                Thank You It ends a bit abruptly because I gave myself the heebee gee bees writing it.

An online friend of mine who's an Editor said I should take the second blanket reference out I'm glad I left it there now
                It doesn't pay to be too tidy sometimes, does it? I'm glad you left it in. It breaks the heart, drives home the point that she is slipping slipping slipping away, and contributes to the balance. Having said that, I feel compelled to admit that I don't know what I'm talking about! It just seems right, the way you have it.

Comment

On that Night

On that night Jack was espied
                  Twas the night two women died
                  First he cut her, Lizzie Stride
                  Then so quiet a pony shied

Evil surging all through him
                  The syph a’sucking at his vim
                  The vile man went out on a limb
                  And searched across the city rim

Sweet Catherine upon the Square
                  He’s evil dear, please be aware
                  But no he hacked her up right there
                  And headed back unto his lair

He pulls up by the public bath
                  And writes The Jews will have the wrath
                  The night cloaks down now round his path
                  But the dear ones souls we know God hath.
                  Sink the Bismark

Comment

Working...
                  X