• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by curious View Post
      Perfecto, in fact.

Not much taller than another Henry often considered a possible JtR.

curious
      Yup it was written at a height which pretty much also conforms to many of the witness descriptions of suspects of being average or short height. Another factor for it being written by the killer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
        Yup it was written at a height which pretty much also conforms to many of the witness descriptions of suspects of being average or short height. Another factor for it being written by the killer.
        ...or a person of average height.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Do we actually know the height at which it was written? Or just the maximum height it could have been? I'm sure I've heard tell that it might have been rubbed out by the shoulders of passers-by if it had been there long, but can't find that reference at the moment.
          The lower down it was written, then the more likely the association with the apron, in my view...if it was at knee height with an arrow pointing to it, that would be a clear link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
            Do we actually know the height at which it was written? Or just the maximum height it could have been? I'm sure I've heard tell that it might have been rubbed out by the shoulders of passers-by if it had been there long, but can't find that reference at the moment.
            At the inquest Halse states it may have been rubbed out by people passing by. Which might just mean that someone ( a resident) passing it, would see it, stop and rub it out. But it may say shoulders in other inquest reports.

The lower down it was written, then the more likely the association with the apron, in my view...if it was at knee height with an arrow pointing to it, that would be a clear link.
            I believe the size and height of the writing was governed by the fact that above the black bricks were white bricks (perhaps there was more of the message on the white bricks but no-one noticed it ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
              I believe the size and height of the writing was governed by the fact that above the black bricks were white bricks (perhaps there was more of the message on the white bricks but no-one noticed it ;-)
              That's a thought...it might explain why nobody spotted the three foot high initials chalked on the outside of 13 Miller's Court?

Comment

That's a thought...it might explain why nobody spotted the three foot high initials chalked on the outside of 13 Miller's Court?
                Yes, that`s what I was thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  ...or a person of average height.
                  I said that

Comment

I believe the general consensus is that it was written at about 4 feet?

Comment

• Is there such a thing here!
                      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

I said that
                        Hello Abby

Not quite: "Yup it was written at a height which pretty much also conforms to many of the witness descriptions of suspects of being average or short height. Another factor for it being written by the killer."

I added "...or a person of average height" to the end for completeness. The underlined conclusion is an argument for the killer being the author of the GSG, but it could have been written by any one of many thousands in the area who were also of average height.

In other words, the height of the message isn't a very strong piece of evidence for the Ripper being the author of the GSG, as there were vastly more "non-Rippers" in the neighbourhood who would also have met the height criteria.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          Hello Abby

Not quite: "Yup it was written at a height which pretty much also conforms to many of the witness descriptions of suspects of being average or short height. Another factor for it being written by the killer."

I added "...or a person of average height" to the end for completeness. The underlined conclusion is an argument for the killer being the author of the GSG, but it could have been written by any one of many thousands in the area who were also of average height.

In other words, the height of the message isn't a very strong piece of evidence for the Ripper being the author of the GSG, as there were vastly more "non-Rippers" in the neighbourhood who would also have met the height criteria.
                          ok gotcha. I misunderstood-you meant or anyone else of avg height! thanks fo clarifying and of course.

Comment

• Errata made a good case for it being written by a kid. Whatever happened to her btw?

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                              Errata made a good case for it being written by a kid. Whatever happened to her btw?
                              not sure-she definitely had some interesting takes on things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                                Errata made a good case for it being written by a kid. Whatever happened to her btw?
                                I see this as a very good possibility, actually. The Old Castle Street Board School literally backed up to the Model Dwellings.

Jewish Immigrants in London, 1880–1939

The Old Castle Street School built in the 1870's, became the focal point of controversy over religious influences. Designed to serve one thousand children, immigrant parents refused to send their children there, for fear of missionary activity. The school sought Moses Angel's advice. He recommended removing Christian influences and closing early for Sabbath and other Jewish holidays. The Board appointed Abraham Levy, a JFS staff member as headmaster. Though non-denominational, Old Castle offered Hebrew as a special subject and Levy persuaded the school board to permit after school Jewish religion classes to meet at the school.

Old Castle Street School 1885 Report of the School Management Committee:

Spelling is very good throughout... Handwriting is good in the First and Fourth Standards, and fairly so in the Second Standard. The sixth is still weak in this subject. Neatness in this subject is a great desideratum.

"a good, round schoolboy hand"

Comment

Working...
                                X