Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - by j.r-ahde 20 minutes ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - by rjpalmer 3 hours ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - by Paddy 5 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Michael W Richards 6 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 6 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by curious 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (16 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (6 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (4 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - (3 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Doctors and Coroners

Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Chief Inspector

Default 1888 Chamber of Horrors in Whitechapel and the London Hospital

Greetings all,

Recently, I published an article on the Chamber of Horrors wax museum on Whitechapel Road, which displayed wax effigies of six of the Ripper victims (by Feb 1889), each model completed just after that particular murder and sometimes only hours after the event. Martha Tabram was the first to be displayed. Each night during the autumn of terror, crowds filled the streets so much so that it annoyed the surrounding businesses and the London Hospital across the street.

This occurred not only just hundreds of feet away from the Nichols murder scene, but it was also a stone's throw away from the London Hospital. If Jack the Ripper did visit this museum, he would not only be seeing his work immortalized, he would be seeing the audience gasping in terror. Is it a coincidence that the London Hospitcal was just across the street? There were associations between the hospital and the murders. For example, Ripper suspect Dr. Roslyn D'Onston was an inpatient at the London Hospital.

To me, there is a strong possibility that the killer visited this popular museum located so near one of the murders, especially when it showed off his work. Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Mike

Last edited by mklhawley : 05-02-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Chief Inspector

To Mike

I think Jack the Ripper would be the sort of killer who would visit a wax museum showing wax effigies of six of the Ripper victims. I'd imagine visiting the museum would be like reliving the killings and give Jack some sort of a thrill.

Cheers,
John
Old 05-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklhawley View Post
Greetings all,

To me, there is a strong possibility that the killer visited this popular museum located so near one of the murders, especially when it showed off his work. Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Mike
Hi Mike,

It makes sense to me. I am aware that a decade earlier Charles Peace would visit the local police stations, wearing a fake "hook" for a hand, to look at the wanted posters describing him as wanted for the murder of Arthur Dyson at Bannercross. He also attended the trial of William Habron for the murder of Police Constable Nicholas **** (which Peace also committed). So why shouldn't the Ripper have visited the local Whitechapel Chamber of Horrors.

Besides Tabram and the Canonical 5 what other murders were being shown there (if you know). Henry Wainwright's murder (and dismemberment) of Harriet Lane in 1875 Whitechapel, perhaps?

Jeff
Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Superintendent

http://www.mernick.org.uk/thhol/whitesat.html

Is this the same waxworks mentioned here I wonder? I doubt it somehow this article dates from 1862

regards

Observer
Old 05-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post

Is this the same waxworks mentioned here I wonder? I doubt it somehow this article dates from 1862

regards

Observer
Hi Observer,

This is not the same waxworks museum. Old Man Cotton ran the one in 1862 and the Elephant Man was exhibited in this building in 1884. Five buildings west was the Chamber of Horrors museum, which began a few years prior to the Whitechapel murders. The biographer of the Elephan Man mistakenly believed the two were the same.

Sincerely,
Mike
Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
Hi Mike,

It makes sense to me. I am aware that a decade earlier Charles Peace would visit the local police stations, wearing a fake "hook" for a hand, to look at the wanted posters describing him as wanted for the murder of Arthur Dyson at Bannercross. He also attended the trial of William Habron for the murder of Police Constable Nicholas **** (which Peace also committed). So why shouldn't the Ripper have visited the local Whitechapel Chamber of Horrors.

Besides Tabram and the Canonical 5 what other murders were being shown there (if you know). Henry Wainwright's murder (and dismemberment) of Harriet Lane in 1875 Whitechapel, perhaps?

Jeff
Hi John,

So true,

Hi Jeff,
The proprietor, Thomas Barry, lost a court battle in February 1889, and at that time there were six victims displayed. My guess is, that was it.

Sincerely,
Mike
Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post

regards

Observer
Hello, and thanks Observer.

As Benjamin West died in 1820, the portrait of "Dr. Benjamin Lincoln", the "President of the United States" shows the writer's lack of double checking his facts, as he seems to have confused three people.

1) Dr. Benjamin Franklin - the American Postmaster General, Scientist, Printer, Writer, and Patriot, was in Europe for many years in the 1760s and 1770s, and then from 1778 to 1783 in France specifically on his diplomatic mission. West, who was an American Tory, moved to England to continue painting (as did John Singleton Copley), but he may have done a portrait of Franklin.

2) General Benjamin Lincoln - who was taken prisoner when defeated in 1779 at the fall of Charleston by Lord Cornwallis and Sir Henry Clinton. He would be exchanged for a British officer, and would be given the honor of receiving the sword of surrender from British Brigadier General Charles O'Hara at Yorktown in 1781. He may have had his portrait done by West while a prisoner in Engalnd.

3) President Abraham Lincoln - He could not have been painted by West as he never went to Britain, and he was President from 1861 - 1865, long after West died. But the article was written in 1862, so the writer's confusion of names is understandable.

Again thanks.

Jeff
Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Chief Inspector

The women were displayed in the basement and on the first floor was the Chamber of Horrors, which displayed the executions of the popular murderers of the day. My favorite was Henry Pranzini, who murdered three women Ripper style in Paris in 1887. Coincidentally, Nichols was murdered on the first anniversary of Pranzini's execution.

Sincerely,
Mike

p.s., Today there is a MacDonalds in the same building, which is on Whitechapel Road.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Commisioner

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed this piece in the Rip.

Good work fella.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Chief Inspector

Thanks Monty! I certainly enjoyed researching it.