One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by caz View Post

Sorry, I thought I was in a Two Ronnies sketch, Ike, so I gave my answer to your question, to the next poster.

Aren't I a caution?

And it's goodnight from me...

Love,

Ronnie - the short one
    X
    Truly surreal, Caz. Me and Mrs Iconoclast and young Izzy Iconoclast were at the dinner table about 30 minutes ago debating whether that sketch was from Die Zwei Ronaldos or the truly magisterial Morecambe & Wise. What are the chances?

And I love your sparkling re-interpretation of that classic sketch via the medium of Casebook posts!

That 'The Baron' chap seems like a right old womaniser to me, mind. You just might want to watch yourself there, Caz. He may not be what he seems.

Fork handles anyone?

Cheers,

Ike
    Iconoclast
    Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary View Post

I had just finished my History thesis (150+footnotes) and I took his book with me on vacation. While MrRosemary was golfing I decided to track down some of his more odd ‘footnotes-sources’ Many were completely obscure, outright falsehoods, and he’s on to that Isaac Causabon-Emerald-Tablet-Hermetic fan-hood. Such a joke.
      Hey Rosemary,

Great to have you onboard. That Isaac Causabon-Emerald-Tablet-Hermetic fellow sounds posh. The last really posh character we had on here was David, the Lord Orsam of Chigwell, but he's long gone now. This fellow of yours sounds right up there on the heraldic shield malarkey and could well be a worthy replacement for him (and - for all we know - is him by another name ).

Anyway, I'm guessing you didn't quite enjoy your Dan Brown.

Can I suggest you try my brilliant Society's Pillar instead?

Ike

Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
        I think Barrett and his "missing" pages was nothing more than him getting attention and trying to show that he was still pulling the strings. 10 pages, he removed and kept in a bank vault, copied out? I'll file that under "my arse" for reference purposes.
        Stop it, man, Abe - my tea's still boiling hot!
        Iconoclast

Comment

But why Mike did alot of things, probably because he was depressed, an alcoholic and in poor mental health. He was a chronic liar who dug himself deeper with every retelling of whatever was "the truth" that month. " I'll never change my story, because when you're telling the truth, you're telling the truth"
          "Always remember that. It's that simple" The man was his own worst enemy.
          Yes he was, Abe - little doubt about that.

Perhaps he was all of these things. Does Mike therefore one day, in this condition, enlist the help of his wife, father-in-law, and Tony Devereux to get him out of this state of spiralling self destruction, by perpetrating a 'hoax' (come on, everyone, if it was created with the aim of making a few bucks, it was fraud, let's not dress it up) which makes him an enormous amount of money and plunges him into deeper despair when his wife – a co-conspirator – walks out on him with their child? For which he blames the 'hoax' he has created.

If we followed the human story through from the point Mike relinquished physical control of the diary, we might just discern a pattern that accounts for Mike’s “...retelling of whatever was ‘the truth’ that month.” And little of it would be true.

Sad, but so so true ...

Ike
          Iconoclast

Comment

So it wouldn't have mattered how you remembered the wording of your diary quote then? When you were making a point about the wording of that same quote? Really? Are you serious?
            Serious? Not very often it's a beepin nut house in here. However, I remembered the salient portion, the use of, "of" followed by" "like", then fresh fried bacon. You had no problem understanding what I was driving at.

Originally posted by caz View Post
            Yes I would, Observer, because it's true.

I knew I'd done it myself recently, in an email, and cursed myself after sending it and then realising my error.

This is what I wrote in an email on 7th July:

'I noted that Christie himself used stuck with 'Bobo' when referring to FA's recollections.'

Do you see what I did there? I meant to delete the word 'used' and go with 'stuck with' instead, but sent it without checking.

The recipients will be able to confirm this. Your argument is that when the diary penman/woman did exactly the same thing, with 'taste of like fresh fried bacon', it was an indication that the words had been dictated by their partner in crime.

Now I can't prove the words I used in my email were not dictated to me by Bongo's Uncle Charlie, standing over my shoulder, but all I'd say is that anyone who tries to dictate what I write generally ends up wearing a Chelsea smile.
            Listen I couldn't give a toss whether what you did there, I'm saying

'Maybe I will take some part away with me to see if it does taste of like fresh fried bacon'

could indicate in the way I described in my previous post someone dictating the Diary as another transcribed it.

Comment

• Mike transcribing the DAiry.......

Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
              JayHartley.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
                By the way, why do you have to wait 30 seconds between posts here on the Casebook?

I can understand if you have to wait 30 seconds after reading Observer's posts, but why between two of your own?

Unnecessary.

Ike
                From the poster who believes the Maybrick clans initials are hidden in the GSG! You couldn't make it up. Well.... old Ikey mate did, that is with regard to the initials hidden in the GSG

Comment

Glasgow kiss, Chelsea smile, Wrexham tickle. It's always bad news when you cross Her Mob!
                  Giv ower man, yerll mak us bad laffin

Comment

That's how I see it.

A right regular "Whoops! There go my trousers" farce. Starring Sir Jim 'Dick' Dastardly, going up and down the length of the realm like a fiddler's elbow, whipping out the ladies' innards and tickling up their ovaries ["double drat, first one squealed a bit"], and his co-star, Penny Dreadful Pitstop, one yank and they're off - her drawers that is.

Love,

Muttley
                    X
                    I'm not sure if you agree with me or not, Caroline.

Comment

Hey Rosemary,

Great to have you onboard. That Isaac Causabon-Emerald-Tablet-Hermetic fellow sounds posh. The last really posh character we had on here was David, the Lord Orsam of Chigwell, but he's long gone now. This fellow of yours sounds right up there on the heraldic shield malarkey and could well be a worthy replacement for him (and - for all we know - is him by another name ).

Anyway, I'm guessing you didn't quite enjoy your Dan Brown.

Can I suggest you try my brilliant Society's Pillar instead?

Ike
                      I did. Check your email, darlin. And where’s my almost GUT?
                      From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                      "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

• Originally posted by erobitha View Post
                        Mike transcribing the DAiry.......

Please...I’m American. And Southern (NOLA) he does bad things to my indigestion. And English is not my first language—Cantabrian Spanish was.
                        From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                        "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

• Just out of interest, I wonder how many people who contribute to these boards realise the name Maybrick does not appear once in the 9,500 words which constitutes 63 pages of narrative?

John G on that other noisy neighbour thread seems to think it must be everywhere, but it's nowhere. Baby.
                          Iconoclast

Comment

Hi folks,

I think Barrett and his "missing" pages was nothing more than him getting attention and trying to show that he was still pulling the strings. 10 pages, he removed and kept in a bank vault, copied out? I'll file that under "my arse" for reference purposes.

What I was getting at, is that the pages he produced could be used to argue both ways equally. They don't seal the deal for him drafting the diary, he clearly wrote them out much later in a hopeless attempt to prove his authorship, or at any rate to throw a spanner in the collective works of anyone still interested.

But by the same virtue, they show that he wasn't totally incapable of composing something, bearing in mind his alcoholism was much more advanced than in 1992. The pages are an insight into Barrett's thinking ( as much as that's possible), but they don't stand up either for or against anything really. And yes, the spelling and grammar is dreadful, but it's the creativity that's of note.

But why Mike did alot of things, probably because he was depressed, an alcoholic and in poor mental health. He was a chronic liar who dug himself deeper with every retelling of whatever was "the truth" that month. " I'll never change my story, because when you're telling the truth, you're telling the truth"

"Always remember that. It's that simple" The man was his own worst enemy.
                            A fair assessment as far as it goes, Al, but it was 2002 when Mike insisted on giving those pages to Keith, and on each occasion I was in Mike's company, in the run up to our 2003 publication of Ripper Diary, I found him perfectly sober, clean and smartly turned out, far from depressed and there was nothing obviously wrong with his mental health by then either. I found him quite endearing actually, and almost as I imagined he would have been like in the years before the diary - which was allegedly his idea to begin with, and which he made into a reality - took control of him as if it had a life of its own, and effectively wrecked his.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Truly surreal, Caz. Me and Mrs Iconoclast and young Izzy Iconoclast were at the dinner table about 30 minutes ago debating whether that sketch was from Die Zwei Ronaldos or the truly magisterial Morecambe & Wise. What are the chances?

And I love your sparkling re-interpretation of that classic sketch via the medium of Casebook posts!

That 'The Baron' chap seems like a right old womaniser to me, mind. You just might want to watch yourself there, Caz. He may not be what he seems.

Fork handles anyone?

Cheers,

Ike
                              Cheers Ike. The moment was truly surreal for me too, when I saw The Baron's dear little post coming swift on the heels of your own, giving me the perfect cue to breathe new life into Messrs Barker and Corbett's masterful Mastermind sketch. What a gentleman The Baron is to be sure to be sure. I can even forgive him for sounding like a less funny version of the Lusk letter, with its stage Oirish 'accent', and the enclosed kidney, which Bongo would go on to claim Anne had dropped on his freshly prepared DAiry, leaving an indelible stain on their relationship.

Funny old world, eh? Like the Two Ronnies' news bulletin, reporting that a model village had caught fire. The flames could be seen from three feet away.

Love,

Caz
                              X

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
                                Listen I couldn't give a toss whether what you did there, I'm saying

'Maybe I will take some part away with me to see if it does taste of like fresh fried bacon'

could indicate in the way I described in my previous post someone dictating the Diary as another transcribed it.
                                Have some manners, Obs. Learn something from The Baron.

I just demonstrated that it isn't necessarily an indication of dictation, because people do precisely the same thing all by themselves, with nobody pulling their strings.

But the funny thing is, someone could have been 'dictating the Diary as another transcribed it', just as you suggest. In fact I accept your suggestion and believe it happened that way round. Mike dictated the Diary, while Anne transcribed it onto the word processor. And I have very little doubt that minor errors would have crept in along the way.

As they say, nobody's perfect.

Love,

Caz
                                X

Comment

Working...
                                X