No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 years ago - 1966 April 13 - The battered remains of Mary Pierce are found in a Monmouth, IL hog shed behind Frank's Place, a tavern where she worked. Richard Speck had been a recent customer of the establishment and it's suspected that this was his first murder.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 800 years ago - 1216 April 17 - While passing an Easter church gathering in Florence, Italy, Buondelmonte de Buondelmonti is cut to pieces. The final death blow was dealt by Oddo Arrighi, a woman he'd jilted at the alter.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        800 years ago - 1216 April 17 - While passing an Easter church gathering in Florence, Italy, Buondelmonte de Buondelmonti is cut to pieces. The final death blow was dealt by Oddo Arrighi, a woman he'd jilted at the alter.
        Hell hath no fury.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

800 years ago - 1216 April 17 - While passing an Easter church gathering in Florence, Italy, Buondelmonte de Buondelmonti is cut to pieces. The final death blow was dealt by Oddo Arrighi, a woman he'd jilted at the alter.
          Could it be possible that his last words were "Et tu Oddo?"

Jeff

Comment

- Ginger

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
              Could it be possible that his last words were "Et tu Oddo?"

Jeff
              Not unless it was in March
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• None of it sounds very Christian-like, and isn't Oddo a rather strange name for a female. Shouldn't it be Odda?

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 April 22 - In his Bingley, England office, bookmaker Fred Craven is beaten to death and robbed. The murder is still unsolved although some have suggested Peter Sutcliffe, The Yorkshire Ripper, as the possible culprit.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1966 April 22 - In his Bingley, England office, bookmaker Fred Craven is beaten to death and robbed. The murder is still unsolved although some have suggested Peter Sutcliffe, The Yorkshire Ripper, as the possible culprit.
                    It is odd. It sounds like the murder of a Jewish money lender (I believe in Newcastle) that was never solved - in an apparent robbery - in 1908, that has sometimes been seen as a murder that John Alexander Dickman may have committed (like he may be the killer of Mrs. Luard that same year).

Jeff

Comment

• Dickman was blamed for several murders, including that of Caroline Luard, whom I'm inclined to believe was killed by an opportunistic tramp. I really can't see that one as a Dickman crime. The moneylender, well perhaps.

Why would Sutcliffe be suspected of Fred Craven's murderer, though? Did Sutcliffe owe him money? This sort of homicide speaks to me of someone with enormous gaming debts who lashes out because otherwise they're ruined.

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 April 23 - Twenty-six-year-old Margaret Henderson dies unexpectedly after checking into New Jersey's Riverdell Hospital. Margaret was one of nine non-critical admittees to expire there mysteriously in eleven month's time. Dr. Mario Jascalevich was charged with using curare to murder some of the individuals but was acquitted, leaving the cases unsolved. The doctor returned to his native Argentina after the trial and died there in 1984.
                        Last edited by sdreid; 04-21-2016, 01:48 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 May 1 - In Poland, seventeen-year-old Marysia Galazka is raped and disemboweled by Lucian Staniak. She is the fourth known murder victim of the serial killer who came to be known as "The Red Spider" due to his writing style. Staniak was eventually captured and sent to an insane asylum.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 250 years ago - 1766 May 9 - Former General Thomas Arthur de Lally is beheaded in France for treason due to his failure in securing India for his country. After twelve years, Louis VI exonerated him.

Stan Reid

Comment

250 years ago - 1766 May 9 - Former General Thomas Arthur de Lally is beheaded in France for treason due to his failure in securing India for his country. After twelve years, Louis VI exonerated him.
                              I believe this was one of the judicial causes (the most famous being his stand in the Jean Calas case, and his comments on the execution in Portsmouth of Admiral John Byng) that Voltaire fought in his later years (and sometimes won, though tragically posthumously).

Jeff

Comment

250 years ago - 1766 May 9 - Former General Thomas Arthur de Lally is beheaded in France for treason due to his failure in securing India for his country. After twelve years, Louis VI exonerated him.
                                Good job he was exonerated, have the got his head back on yet
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X