No announcement yet.

Disregarded evidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The blood stains on Bucks row aren't disproved, Lechmere's just got them in the wrong place.
    What? Like his gluteus maximus and his olecranon process?

Yes I see...

Dave

PS Sorry Ed I couldn't resist!

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
      Ah - ha Jon guy is a spoil sport - yes there are doubtlessly good reasons why some of this was disregarded!
      Yet is still presented to bolster theories.
      I am very sceptical of all newspaper presented evidence that aimed to solve the case (other newspaper based information is a different matter) and am very sceptical of virtually every witness statement in this case.
      Maybe this is a stupid question... but...
      What was the purpose of the OP?
      Best Wishes,
      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        Ripper rules.

A witness statement is accurate if it supports a particular argument.

However—

A witness statement is questionable if it doesn't support the same particular argument.
        Hi Simon

So, I think Cross is the killer and Mrs Lilley is accurate as she supports my particular argument. But, Lechmere thinks Cross is the killer and Mrs Lilley is questionable as she doesn't support his argument.

Overall, not looking too good for Cross.

Comment

Hi Mr Lucky,

I am a bear of very little brain, so I suggest you take up this particular argument with Fisherman or Lechmere.

Personally, I think the Crossmere-as-Ripper argument is pants.

Regards,

Simon
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

corrected

Hello Lucky. thanks. Many of the responsible of the press corrected their errors. Agreed.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

confusion

Hello Dave.

"Like his gluteus maximus and his olecranon process?"

This calls to mind an old friend of mine who was a retired psychiatrist. He once confessed to me that he always confused the xiphoid process and the coccyx. I laughed until I cried.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Somebody set me straight...

I must be daft or something, because far from confirming that Cross killed or didn't kill Nichols, all Harriett Lilley seems to be confirming is that a woman was murdered under her window, and two people subsequently spoke together in a low voice in the same spot. This makes perfect sense as Nichols was murdered there, and moments later, Cross and Paul spoke to each other, presumably in whispers. Here's her account from the Echo:

I slept in front of the house, and could hear everything that occured in the street. On that Thursday night I was somehow very restless. Well, I heard something I mentioned to my husband in the morning. It was a painful moan - two or three faint gasps - and then it passed away. It was quite dark at the time, but a luggage went by as I heard the sounds. There was, too, a sound as of whispers underneath the window. I distincly heard voices, but cannot say what was said - it was too faint. I then woke my husband, and said to him, "I don't know what possesses me, but I cannot sleep to-night."

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom!

A luggage train went by as Lilley heard the sounds. That luggage train went by at 3.30.
                  At 3.45-3.50 somewhere, PC Neil found Nicholsībody. At that stage, the blood was still oozing from the neck wound.
                  A woman that has all of the neck vessels severed and - to boot - has her stomach ripper open, will bleed out in the fewest of minutes. I find it hard in the extreme to believe that Nichols would still have bled a full fifteen to twenty minutes after she was cut. Blood oozing three or four minutes after the cut, would however be forensically correct - and in total line with Nichols being cut by Lechmere.

Letīs keep in mind that Buckīs Row was a street in which prostitution was on offer. What Lilley heard - if she indeed DID hear anything - could have been a sexual transaction. They do include the occasional moan and gasp too. Also, note that Lilley does not say that the voices she heard were those of two men; it could apparently have been the voices of a man and a woman too. Or two women and five men - Lilley does not specify how many the voices were.

It is tantalizing to see a connection with Lechmere and Paul here, but the time schedule seems not to go along with the suggestion.

All the best,
                  Fisherman
                  Last edited by Fisherman; 10-09-2012, 06:39 AM.

Comment

The problem with Mrs Lilley's "evidence", for me, is the evident unreliability of what one hears either when dozing or newly awake.

She might well have heard the train sounds, and the voices, but there could have been no time, or ten minutes between the two.

As an example - in the 80s I was interviewed for the BBC radio "Today" programme in regard to a project with which I was involved. I woke up at six to listen and thought I was wide awake - I had been informed that the piece if it appeared would be broadcast at around 6.30am. I was eager to hear how the interview came over. Next thing I knew the phone was ringing. It was my mother saying "Did you hear it?" Despite myself I had fallen asleep again!

Now if that could happen when I was TRYING to be alert, how much easier on an ordinary darkish morning in 1888.

I am sure everyone can recall similar personal examples.

So I place no value on the timings which might emerge from Mrs Lilley - bar perhaps the train, and I do think she heard Cross/Lechmere and Paul talking in an undertone. Like Hutchinson being seen but not identified outside Miller's Court, it is the simplest solution.

An alternative would be that she heard Polly and her killer, but I think that on the whole less likely that the other option I have mentioned.

Phil H

Comment

Hi Phil!

Yes, I agree very much with what you are saying here, and a lot of confusion may adher to Lilleyīs testimony. Lets also keep in mind that those fifteen minutes of fame would have had an allure for many people.

To me, the technical evidence built into what Neil tells us - that blood was trickling from the wound in Nichols neck as he shone his light on her - is what tells us that whatever Lilley heard, if it was tied to the passage of the luggage train, then it was not related to the murder as such.

The best,
                      Fisherman

Comment

I don't see why it can't be as Phil suggests - that in a half-awake state, Lilley conflated the two events. Its easy enough to do and perfectly plausible.

Comment

Exactly, Sally. And nobody else seems to have problems with the suggestion either.

The best,
                          Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                            Exactly, Sally. And nobody else seems to have problems with the suggestion either.

The best,
                            Fisherman
                            Who said they did? I don't recall mentioning anything about 'problems'.

Comment

Ah. Well, I just noticed that you stated that you could not see why it could not be like Phil said, as if somebody had seriously challenged it. Which nobody had.

I found your reasoning slightly redundant, therefore. But by all means, letīs just agree that Phil has a great point, and a useful explanation to the Lilley suggestion.

The best,
                              Fisherman
                              Last edited by Fisherman; 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM.

Comment

To correct myself:

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                                Didn`t Morgan attend the mortuary about midday on Friday to confirm that the body was not the woman he saw at his stall ? He went in to Eagle Place with a James Scorer, who confirmed the body was not his wife.
                                It was Saturday morning 1st Sept, not Friday, that Morgan and Scorer attended Eagle Place mortuary in the company of a J-Div Constable.

Comment

Working...
                                X