Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting

Hello Velma.

"Plenty of time for Polly to have been killed with the passing of the train."

Yes, indeed.

"Just interesting to me. Hope it might be for others."

Quite.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Mrs Lilley doesn't give a 'time of death closer to 3.30'

Mrs Lilley connects the 'painful moan' and other sounds she hears with a train passing, she doesn't give the time. The journalist discovers that a goods train passes at 'about 3.30'. The night time goods trains were not run to the minute.

'It has been ascertained that on the morning of the date of the murder a goods train passed on the East London Railway at about half-past three' - Echo 6th Spt. 1888.

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
        I'm not sure it's smart resurrecting this, but I ran across something interesting in information here on Casebook about Alice McKenzie that applies directly to this.

Quoting from the victim section:
        [I]The pavement beneath the body of Alice McKenzie was still dry, placing her death sometime after 12:25 A.M. and before 12:45 A.M., when it began to rain.
        Hi Curious.
        Allowances must be made for the fact McKenzie's body was warm, when compared to the pavement. Her warm body and clothing would have helped dry the pavement underneath her torso, even though the ground may have been wet with rain for a couple of minutes.
        Her body laid in-situ for at least 25-27 minutes drying the pavement before the doctor arrived giving the impression she was attacked before it started to rain.

Having a wife who is now on blood thinners due to a heart op. we have learned that she must avoid certain foods (and perhaps drink?) which thin your blood naturally and make it slower to clot/coagulate/congeal, etc.
        So yes, there will always be a variance in clotting time among different people.

Regards, Jon S.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          Hi Curious.
          Allowances must be made for the fact McKenzie's body was warm, when compared to the pavement. Her warm body and clothing would have helped dry the pavement underneath her torso, even though the ground may have been wet with rain for a couple of minutes.
          Her body laid in-situ for at least 25-27 minutes drying the pavement before the doctor arrived giving the impression she was attacked before it started to rain.

Having a wife who is now on blood thinners due to a heart op. we have learned that she must avoid certain foods (and perhaps drink?) which thin your blood naturally and make it slower to clot/coagulate/congeal, etc.
          So yes, there will always be a variance in clotting time among different people.

Regards, Jon S.
          Hi, Jon,
          I agree totally that blood flows very differently depending on the individual.

Also, salad greens slow down the flow of blood. I had an uncle preparing for cancer treatment and he had to stop eating salads.

I eat lots of greenery and have tried to give blood sometimes that they could not get even a pint from me. After 2-3 times, I quit attempting to donate blood -- too many sticks to no avail.

About Alice's warmth drying the ground beneath her, I'm not sure but that her clothes would have been damp if the rain had already started by the time she was killed.

We'll never know of course. But it was being said that blood clotted very quickly -- in my case, I suspect it would. But I was glad to find examples that said it wasn't necessarily a "few minutes" process.

From the diet of the time and circumstances of the people we're discussing, I wonder . . .

curious

Comment

overseas report

[ATTACH]14963[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]14964[/ATTACH]

Comment

So is the Christmas week 1887 murder an early report of "Fairy Fay" or a misreporting of Emma Smith (though the date is too early for her, surely)?

Phil H

Comment

Thanks Harry.

I like the little detail I`ve never seen before that Jacobs had been sent by his brother to fetch some cheese and pickle.

Comment

Another part of the report.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Apologies for the small print,and the clarity.From a colonial paper of that time.Interesting it says Mckenzie was sometimes known as Kelly.

Comment

Working...
                      X