Polly's Mortuary Photograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polly's Mortuary Photograph

Hi everyone. Quick question. This has been on my mind. In the mortuary photo graph of Polly, are her eyes open partially? They look like they are. If so, it is kinda weird. If anyone knows, please inform me. Thank you
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Originally posted by JTRSickert View Post
    In the mortuary photo graph of Polly, are her eyes open partially?
    Yes the eyes are partially open. The eyelids were not properly shut at the mortuary. No technique was displayed. In the old days a coin might be put on the eyelids to make them stay shut. Apparently this was not done.

Roy
    Last edited by Roy Corduroy; 01-16-2010, 05:08 AM.
    Sink the Bismark

Comment

Let me put that another way. No technique was done to keep the eyelids shut by the time this photograph was taken, or the technique was not complete. It could take anywhere from eight hours to a day to achieve the desired effect.

Roy
      Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
        Yes the eyes are partially open. The eyelids were not properly shut at the mortuary. No technique was displayed. In the old days a coin might be put on the eyelids to make them stay shut. Apparently this was not done.

Roy
        Where was Johnny Depp when you need him for such an occasion then? LOL
        I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Let me put that another way. No technique was done to keep the eyelids shut by the time this photograph was taken, or the technique was not complete. It could take anywhere from eight hours to a day to achieve the desired effect.

Roy
          THanks Roy. I appreciate it. I used to think that the only photos that gave me the creeps were the Mary Kelly and Catherine Eddowes pictures, but now Polly's sends shivers down my spine as well now that I know this.

Comment

Roy
            Hi Roy,
            The cons on the eyes is an old custom so that the deceased could pay the ferryman so as to cross the river Styx.

All the best,
            Dave
            When you talk to god it's praying; when god talks to you its schizophrenia! - X-Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dave James View Post
              Hi Roy,
              The cons on the eyes is an old custom so that the deceased could pay the ferryman so as to cross the river Styx.

All the best,
              Dave

Dave,

If any of us has seen From Hell (as I'm sure most of us have), this info. should come as no surprise. LOL

Comment

I tend to find the same repeated photos of the victims in the mortuary in books are of extremely poor quality, sometimes obviously copied from previous publications (coming from a print and design background it stands out a mile). Does anyone know who has the original plates or first prints and are they as bad as what we see. If so, how come? when we see static shots from the victorian period they are quite sharp and detailed, why are these so poorly captured, i mean its not as if they were in going anywhere....

Comment

Hello blackfingernail!

I have been waiting for the digitally remastered versions to appear for some time!

On the other hand; the photos of MJK and CE might look even more shocking than at the moment!

All the best
                  Jukka
                  "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Hello B

One reason for the poor quality of the victim photos could be that they were taken in mortuary`s, and not well lit studios. Also, I imagine the equipment in a studio would be superior to the portable camera that would be called to the mortuary.

Comment

Originally posted by JTRSickert View Post
                      Where was Johnny Depp when you need him for such an occasion then? LOL
                      Lol so true

Comment

Sigh......The eyes are slightly open.... what's the question/problem??
                        Last edited by Suzi; 01-17-2010, 08:13 PM.
                        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hello Suzi!

Maybe some people want to find something strange everywhere!

All the best
                          Jukka
                          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave James View Post
                            Hi Roy,

All the best,
                            Dave
                            That's what I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by blackfingernail View Post
                              Does anyone know who has the original plates or first prints and are they as bad as what we see. If so, how come? when we see static shots from the victorian period they are quite sharp and detailed, why are these so poorly captured, i mean its not as if they were in going anywhere....
                              I don't remember who has these, but I know that Donald Rumbelow found a lot of the records for the Ripper cases, back when he was on the police force, incldg the photo of #13 Miller's Ct. He describes this in The Complete Jack the Ripper, on p. 133.
                              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Working...
                              X