Wish list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amateur posting

Sorry guys, this post shouldn't have appeared here as it was a direst reply to C.d.

Regards

HS (techno-idiot)
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
      Hello HS,

Jack could have cut himself during the attack and used the apron to help stop the bleeding.

c.d.
      Sorry c.d. I am utterly useless with technology. I posted a reply to your message but it appeared further on. I hope that this message appears next to your message! If it doesn't then I'm going off to stick my head in a bucket of cold water!
      Regards
      HS
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hello HS,

I just can't get too worked up about the GSG. Even if we could prove beyond doubt that Jack wrote it we would still have no idea what it means.

c.d.

Comment

Apologies

It's all about including the quote! Sorry about messing up the thread guys. Very stupid of me not to include the quote to direct the reply.

HS
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
            I seem to remember that it was a fair sized piece of cloth so it would have had to have been a pretty serious injury (as opposed to, say a cut finger).
            That's why I favour the "dipped in a pool of Eddowes' blood" hypothesis to explain why that particular corner of the apron was wet with blood.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hello HS,

I just can't get too worked up about the GSG. Even if we could prove beyond doubt that Jack wrote it we would still have no idea what it means.

c.d.
              Hi c.d.
              I take your point. It's just an area that's always fascinated me.

Regards
              HS
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                That's why I favour the "dipped in a pool of Eddowes' blood" hypothesis to explain why that particular corner of the apron was wet with blood.
                The point that I make though Sam is, why did he take it away with him? And why did he discard it ?

HS
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

With regards to MJK not being the one in the room, how likely is it that Barnett, who shared a bed with her, misidentified her?

As far as a family member not coming forward, that assumes that she did have family. And that can also be turned around. If she had family and ran off without informing them why did they not report to the police that they had concerns about a missing family member at a time when young women were being murdered?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                    Hi c.d.
                    I take your point. It's just an area that's always fascinated me.

Regards
                    HS
                    I understand too. It is a tantalizing clue.

c.d.

Comment

With regards to MJK not being the one in the room, how likely is it that Barnett, who shared a bed with her, misidentified her?

As far as a family member not coming forward, that assumes that she did have family. And that can also be turned around. If she had family and ran off without informing them why did they not report to the police that they had concerns about a missing family member at a time when young women were being murdered?

c.d.
                      I forgot to add that the same thing could be said about the family of the woman who was actually murdered in MJK's bed if true. Why did they not come forward to the police with their concerns?

c.d.

Comment

c.d.
                        I agree with you c.d. The simplest answer is usually the truth. You find a dead woman in Mary Kelly's bed in Mary Kelly's room. The person closest to her identifies the body as Mary Kelly (albeit under difficult circumstances). Mary Kelly occupied the room alone. Mary Kelly was seen and heard in Miller's Court the previous evening. Unless you have some preconception about a conspiracy what possible reason is there to suggest that the body isn't that of Mary Kelly? She was obviously estranged from her family and if they learned of her fate later on perhaps they just didn't want to have it known that there relative was an east end prostitute killed by Jack the Ripper.
                        Regards
                        HS
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Regarding the MJK conversation, I think the reason given by people who doubt it was her is that given how bad the damage was, her identification could be made more difficult and somewhat hurried. It would also explain the sightings after she was supposed to be dead*.

Personally, I don't think there's a particularly strong reason to think it wasn't her. Barnett supposedly identified her using things like her hair, and I'd assume that even without seeing the faces of people I'm close to I'd be able to tell with reasonably certainty it was them. Mistakes can happen but this would require someone who looked very similar to MJK to also have known her... that seems like a big coincidence to me.

The fact that MJK's family wouldn't come forward doesn't surprise me that much. If she was estranged from them, it sounds like they may not even know where she was or care to confirm that it was indeed her. We don't have to look very far to see that this could be the case. Annie Chapman's sisters, for instance, don't seem to be mentioned much and it sounds like they weren't keen on getting mixed up in the investigation.

* This is then usually explained as MJK deciding to start over by letting everyone think she was dead. While that doesn't sound impossible, I wonder if that's very compatible with the same Mary Jane Kelly who was willing to put a strain on her relationship with Barnett to give her friends a place to sleep.

Comment

With regard to Kelly's family, the Evening News contains the following;

14 Nov 1888
                            The funeral of the murdered woman Kelly will not take place until after the arrival from Wales of some of her relatives and friends, who are expected to reach London this evening. If they be unable to provide the necessary funeral expenses, Mr. H Wilton, of 119 High street, Shoreditch, has guaranteed that the unfortunate woman shall not be buried in a pauper's grave. Any person, however, who may be desirous of sharing the expense with Mr. Wilton can communicate with him. The remains, according to present arrangements, will be interred either on Thursday or Friday at the new Chingford cemetery.

15 Nov
                            The relatives of the murdered woman, who were expected yesterday, have not yet arrived. The funeral has been again postponed, and may not take place until Monday. Yesterday afternoon the remains were removed from the temporary coffin in which they have been lying at the Shoreditch Mortuary, and placed in a coffin of French polished elm and oak, with brass handles, in which they will be interred. Mr. McCarthy, the landlord of the deceased, offered to defray part of the cost of the funeral, but his offer was declined, sufficient funds for the purpose having already been subscribed.

Comment

Working...
                            X