The word JUWES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
    I've always thought that the idea that Juwes was a misspelling of Jews most improbable, since the word JEWS was written such a lot -- and in public places -- that I can't imagine anyone who could spell the rest of the sentence would mis-spell that word.
    The rest of the "sentence" is such a mishmash of rotten grammar that misspelling a word is the least of the mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Heinrich View Post
      The rest of the "sentence" is such a mishmash of rotten grammar that misspelling a word is the least of the mistakes.
      Ah but that is my point - rotten grammar I can accept, it's rotten throughout. Cockneys have a different grammar from R.P. (double negatives and the like).

The words Jews was frequently in the public eye - even on buildings such as Jews Shelters and suchlike, so the spelling of it should have been pretty much embedded in people's consciousness.

Helena
      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Hello all ,

Figured this may be of some interest ,

Simply put, the word "Juwe" and "Juwes" existed prior to the use of the word "Jew". This word "Jew" appears in the English language after the translation of the bible (King James) from Latin into Anglo-Saxon (English). Hence it is a relatively modern transliteration of the Hebrew, "Iudhi/Iudha".
        Ergo, the word "Juwes" existed as the term for those referred to in historical documentation as "Jews" long long ago...and surprising, during 1888 and even TODAY! It exists in the British Museum Library (just down the road from Whitechapel) and the Bodlian Library, Oxford (just up the road from Whitechapel), in fact, up and down, and in me Laydis Chamber.
        Who would know of this term "Juwes", in 1888? I ASSUME scholars of the ilk of Warren, Anderson, and of course, the Chief Rabbi.
        Hic Rhodus hic saltus!

moonbegger

Comment

Also ,

In addition to appearing in the Bible, the spelling of the word "Jews" as "Juwes" pops up in English Literature too, such as in the famous 14th C. work 'Piers Ploughman'. 'Piers Ploughman' is considered to be one of the great works of early English Literature. It has been published and re-published for over 600 years, including in the 19th Century.

Moonbegger .

Comment

Shouldn't think there were many Piers Plowman readers present in the backstreets of Whitechapel in 1888 though Moonbegger!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Maybe someone read it over a Piers Plowman's lunch.

Comment

Maybe someone read it over a Piers Plowman's lunch.
                Anachronistic though...contained all the right breads and cheeses, but not necessarily in the right order!

Dave

Comment

What's This?

This is an enlarged image from a document created in 1881. How would you transcribe this word?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Berner Street School.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	664184

The original document originates from Berner Street.

Regards, Bridewell
                  Last edited by Bridewell; 08-23-2012, 02:43 PM.
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

The bottom word could be "Juwes" but I might only be saying that because I am "looking for it."

Comment

original

Hello Colin. What was the original import of that document?

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

The Origin

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                        Hello Colin. What was the original import of that document?

Cheers.
                        LC
                        It's from the Admission Register for Infants from the Berner Street School.
                        The child concerned lived at 33, Backchurch Lane according to the entry and that's confirmed by a cross-check with the 1881 census record. I was looking for another name entirely, but this entry stood out for obvious reasons. I asked my wife, who has no interest in the subject, to spell the word as she viewed it. She saw it as J U W E S (which it isn't!).

Ignore the top script, Robert. I had to leave it in as the two overlapped, but they're separate entries.

Regards, Bridewell.
                        Last edited by Bridewell; 08-23-2012, 03:21 PM. Reason: Add last sentence / Amend spelling

Comment

take 2

Hello Colin. Thanks.

Isn't "James" perchance?

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Surname

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                            Hello Colin. Thanks.

Isn't "James" perchance?

Cheers.
                            LC
                            Not "James". I will provide the answer in due course. Just want to see how a few others read it.

Regards, Bridewell.
                            Last edited by Bridewell; 08-23-2012, 03:42 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

P

Hello Colin. Thanks.

What about an initial "P"? Punies?

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Hi Colin,

I read it as "Junior".

Do I win a cuddly toy?

Regards,

Simon
                                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Working...
                                X