• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second U.S. Ebola Diagnosis "Deeply Concerning" Admits CDC Chief

c.d.

breach

Hello CD. Thanks for posting that.

Perhaps the greatest concern is to identify the exact breach of protocol? If there were indeed none, I suppose that would change everything?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

CONAKRY, GUINEA—With the death toll in West Africa continuing to rise amid a new outbreak of the Ebola virus, leading medical experts announced Wednesday that a vaccine for the deadly disease is still at least 50 white people from being developed. “While all measures are being taken to contain the spread of the…
      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
        http://www.theonion.com/articles/experts-ebola-vaccine-at-least-50-white-people-awa,36580/
        Don't forget about the white people's dogs!

Comment

White people are more resistant to these diseases because the plague weeded out those with poor immune systems 600 years ago
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
            White people are more resistant to these diseases because the plague weeded out those with poor immune systems 600 years ago
            Oh god I live in the home of the kkk so honestly I can't tell sometimes. Please be kidding?

Comment

Can the American media really be referring to Thomas Duncan as "patient zero"?

That's about 8000 out, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

More, since I think the first outbreak was in 1976

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

Yes... yes it really can.. welcome to modern American "news"... give us a 24 hour news cycle and we'll scare the hell out of you, what’s even better is the extreme conservative media actually saying that this Ebola outbreak was planned by Obama to destroy America (which they say has been his sole purpose in life I guess… to bring down America….)

But fear not people, if another Malaysian airliner goes down.. or a pop singers nipple pops out on stage we won’t have to hear about Ebola on the “news” anymore…. And then we are all safe… well except from the nipples..

Steadmund Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Not remotely bothered about this. There's more chance of me getting run over on my way to work than dying of Ebola. It's only transmitted through bodily fluids, which means it should be easily contained. Give it a few months and the media will have moved on to the next doomsday scenario. It's times like this which make me wonder what else is going on in the world and slipping conveniently under the radar?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                      Not remotely bothered about this. There's more chance of me getting run over on my way to work than dying of Ebola. It's only transmitted through bodily fluids, which means it should be easily contained.
                      I'd be a lot more confident about that if two health professionals, wearing gowns, gloves. masks, etc., and aware that they were dealing with an ebola patient, hadn't caught the disease themselves.
                      - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                        I'd be a lot more confident about that if two health professionals, wearing gowns, gloves. masks, etc., and aware that they were dealing with an ebola patient, hadn't caught the disease themselves.
                        I reckon the transmission rate in the isolation facility in the Dallas hospital is significantly higher than the average transmission rate in West Africa so far - and that transmission rate includes a large contribution from the local funeral customs which involve people touching and even kissing dead bodies.

I'd suggest that tells us something was very wrong with the procedures at the hospital - not that everyone has been wrong for decades about how Ebola is transmitted.

Comment

Fearbola

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"If you're so afraid of Liberians you refuse to return your overdue books you might have Fearbola ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                            Yes... yes it really can.. welcome to modern American "news"... give us a 24 hour news cycle and we'll scare the hell out of you, what’s even better is the extreme conservative media actually saying that this Ebola outbreak was planned by Obama to destroy America (which they say has been his sole purpose in life I guess… to bring down America….)

But fear not people, if another Malaysian airliner goes down.. or a pop singers nipple pops out on stage we won’t have to hear about Ebola on the “news” anymore…. And then we are all safe… well except from the nipples..

Steadmund Brand
                            This is so true... Sigh.

The breaches in protocol that occurred in Dallas are pretty egregious. It was not the fault of the nurses. The nurses were not even given the special Ebola hazmat suits that doctors in West Africa and groups like 'Doctors Without Borders' have used successfully for years.

The US CDC is way behind the curve, and they don't even have the authority to order changes; all they can do is make "recommendations".

Dallas claims they followed CDC procedure. Unfortunately the Dallas nurses were not told to wear more than one layer of gloves, and their inadequate "hazmat" suits left their necks exposed! When they complained about this they were told to wrap 5-6 strands of medical tape around their necks!!

I can't believe it. How are you supposed to unwind 6 strands of potentially infected medical tape from your neck without accidentally coming into contact with the live virus?

As someone remarked earlier in this thread, doctors have successfully treated Ebola in Africa since 1976, and they did so under very primitive conditions. We need to learn from them. Dallas has modern medical facilities and all the most up to date equipment and information is available to them; how could they be so backwards and endanger their nursing staff?

Maybe someone from Doctors Without Borders can come to the US & create a video showing proper procedures and giving additional safety tips, and there can be mandatory viewing of proper procedures by all medical staff and First Responders?

If every patient in America who is infected with Ebola infects 2 other people as in Dallas - or even more - can you imagine the result?

The second infected Dallas nurse identified today FLEW ON AN AIRPLANE from Dallas to Cleveland and back again, the return trip occurring the day before she was checked into the hospital with Ebola!

I would have thought any potentially exposed medical staff would have voluntarily refrained from flying out of concern for others.

The news staff (NBC?) that was in "voluntary quarantine" for 21 days and broke it to go to a restaurant is now in mandatory quarantine. I heard a commentator sympathize with them today and say "It's hard to sit around for 21 days watching daytime tv."
                            Oh, really? It's hard??? It's hard to watch movies and read books & cook delicious meals and relax in comfort? Tell that to the people in Africa dropping dead in the street, or hemorrhaging to death in their homes, like one poor little girl I saw, bless her.

I'm so angry that the media called Mr. Duncan 'Patient Zero', completing negating the terrible suffering endured by the thousands of Ebola patients in Africa, approximately 8,000 of whom have died.

I'm sick of this egocentric "I, Me, Mine" culture in general, the '24 hour news cycle' that is based only on sensationalism to attract advertising income rather than actually INFORMING people.

Does anybody really care about Donald Sterling? Is it any surprise that a rich old guy who owns a basketball team and has had way too many plastic surgeries is a vain bigoted jerk?? I was ready to smash my TV every time his name was mentioned, which was continually for weeks. Meanwhile a few other "small events" were barely mentioned, like the war in Ukraine, Russian military massing on Ukraine's border, and the resurgence of Ebola in Africa.

Anyone wishing to be well informed about important world events has to make an effort to escape the dollarcentric tunnel vision of American "news".

Thanks for letting me vent.
                            Best regards,
                            Archaic

PS: They're selling "Personal Ebola Protection Kits" online:
                            Last edited by Archaic; 10-15-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                              The second infected Dallas nurse identified today FLEW ON AN AIRPLANE from Dallas to Cleveland and back again, the return trip occurring the day before she was checked into the hospital with Ebola!
                              To be fair, the nurse called the CDC several time to report her fever and each time they told her she was safe to fly.

They are rewriting the procedures for handling Ebola patients. Apparently one of the problems is that the gear used in such situations is defined by the kind of transmission. Droplet gets one kind, blood borne, less protection when not handling blood products. Ebola is "heavy" droplet transmission, so the gear used was for blood borne, not droplet. That has been changed.

But still no white people infected here. Thats when the panic will REALLY start.

Comment

Working...
                              X