How did he do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did he do it?

How did Jack the Ripper kill his victims so swiftly and silently?

I at first thought the most efficient way he did this was to have his victim turn their back to him and when their hands were on their skirts or against a wall, he placed his hand around their mouth and then cut the throat with the knife in the other hand. Then when they stopped struggling and/or went limp he lowered them to the ground.

But with evidence of strangulation, I thought that perhaps then he grabbed their throat from the front with both his hands and strangled them(with sufficiant force that he prevented them from crying out loud), perhaps forcing them to the ground as he did this-until they were unconscious and then cut the throat.

Of course, there could have been many different variations. What do think that the evidence shows how he did it?
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    How did Jack the Ripper kill his victims so swiftly and silently?

I at first thought the most efficient way he did this was to have his victim turn their back to him and when their hands were on their skirts or against a wall, he placed his hand around their mouth and then cut the throat with the knife in the other hand. Then when they stopped struggling and/or went limp he lowered them to the ground.

But with evidence of strangulation, I thought that perhaps then he grabbed their throat from the front with both his hands and strangled them(with sufficiant force that he prevented them from crying out loud), perhaps forcing them to the ground as he did this-until they were unconscious and then cut the throat.

Of course, there could have been many different variations. What do think that the evidence shows how he did it?
    Did he kill them silently?

You have the 'oh murder' with Kelly, Chapman's 'no' (assuming these witnesses heard what they thought they heard and from whom).

I don't think he would necessarily have been caught had he killed them anything other than silently.

To me, the nature of the 'no' and the 'oh murder' suggests there was a struggle of sorts and these words were spoken during an attack.

Comment

he placed his hand around their mouth and then cut the throat with the knife in the other hand. Then when they stopped struggling and/or went limp he lowered them to the ground...
      So you are under the impression their throats were cut while they were on their feet?

But there is no medical evidence of pressure marks around the throat.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
        You have the 'oh murder' with Kelly,
        But who cried, "Oh, murder", wouldn't it be rather theatrical if it came from Kelly? Honestly, how many victims cry "oh, murder" except on stage?

Chapman's 'no' (assuming these witnesses heard what they thought they heard and from whom).
        Was it a womans voice, or a mans voice?

Before answering I should urge you to check the actual witness testimony from the Times Sept. 20th, Daily Telegraph Sept. 20th, and the summary given in the Times Sept. 27th and Daily Telegraph Sept 27th.

Never mind what other press reports say,...
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I know Chapman at least was not killed standing. She had no blood on the front of her dress.
          The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Well, I assume we can surmise that the attacks began while the victims were on their feet. I cannot imagine a scenario where they willingly laid down on the ground for him (Kelly excluded). I have no clue if the cutting began while they were on their feet but my inclination is no.

Comment

Polly

Hello Abby. Below is an excerpt from the "Daily Telegraph" report from the inquest of Polly Nichols.

"there is a slight laceration of the tongue. On the right side of the face there is a bruise running along the lower part of the jaw. It might have been caused by a blow with the fist or pressure by the thumb. On the left side of the face there was a circular bruise, which also might have been done by the pressure of the fingers."

Does sound like strangulation, given the lacerated tongue.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Annie

Hello Abby. And this from Dr. Phillips's inquest on Chapman.

"The face was swollen and turned on the right side, and the tongue protruded between the front teeth, but not beyond the lips; it was much swollen. . . . I noticed a bruise over the right temple."

(Taken from "The Daily Telegraph"--posted on Casebook.)

Notice that this, too, sounds like strangulation. Also, the bruise to the head is noteworthy.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  Also, the bruise to the head is noteworthy.Cheers. LC
                  Hi Lynn

Eliza Cooper gave Chapman the bruise on the temple:

From the inquest:
                  Amelia Palmer: On Monday she was standing in the road opposite 35, Dorset-street. She had been staying there, and had no bonnet on. She had a bruise on one of her temples - I think the right. I said, "How did you get that?" She said, "Yes, look at my chest." Opening her dress, she showed me a bruise. She said, "Do you know the woman?" and gave some name which I do not remember. She made me understand that

Regards
                  Jon

Comment

on the left, right?

Hello Jon. Thanks for that. But your snippet involves the right of the head, correct?

Cooper said that, "I struck her in the left eye, I believe, and then in the chest. I afterwards saw that the blow I gave her had marked her face. "

Perhaps these are not one and the same? Also, note she was struck in the eye. The most likely result being the mark known as circumorbital haematoma.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Jack the assassin is a myth. Maintaining swift control over a victim is a common component of sex crime. Perhaps it took Jack to make people aware
                      of things like this.
                      SCORPIO

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                        So you are under the impression their throats were cut while they were on their feet?

But there is no medical evidence of pressure marks around the throat.
                        Hi WM
                        If there is medical evidence that that they were strangled then, no, my current inclination is that they their throats were cut on the ground.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Did he kill them silently?

You have the 'oh murder' with Kelly, Chapman's 'no' (assuming these witnesses heard what they thought they heard and from whom).

I don't think he would necessarily have been caught had he killed them anything other than silently.

To me, the nature of the 'no' and the 'oh murder' suggests there was a struggle of sorts and these words were spoken during an attack.
                          of course, but silently and quickly enough that they did not scream and struggle either loudly or longly enough to either escape or attract rescuers.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hello Abby. And this from Dr. Phillips's inquest on Chapman.

"The face was swollen and turned on the right side, and the tongue protruded between the front teeth, but not beyond the lips; it was much swollen. . . . I noticed a bruise over the right temple."

(Taken from "The Daily Telegraph"--posted on Casebook.)

Notice that this, too, sounds like strangulation. Also, the bruise to the head is noteworthy.

Cheers.
                            LC
                            Thanks LC!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hello Abby. Below is an excerpt from the "Daily Telegraph" report from the inquest of Polly Nichols.

"there is a slight laceration of the tongue. On the right side of the face there is a bruise running along the lower part of the jaw. It might have been caused by a blow with the fist or pressure by the thumb. On the left side of the face there was a circular bruise, which also might have been done by the pressure of the fingers."

Does sound like strangulation, given the lacerated tongue.

Cheers.
                              LC
                              Certainly, but notice no bruises around the neck, hence the question, how was it done?

The bruises on the face...

are consistent with her head being held down with the left hand....

while the killer sliced her throat with the knife in his right hand.

Just my conjecture.

Regards, Jon S.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                              X