Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - by harry 4 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by harry 15 minutes ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Wickerman 41 minutes ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - by Scott Nelson 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (42 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (11 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - (8 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - (5 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > From Hell (Lusk) Letter

Old 11-19-2016, 04:50 AM
Chief Inspector

It's only evidence if it was scientifically proven to be the victim's kidney, otherwise that means all the Ripper letters sent to the press and whatnot must be taken at face value.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:02 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
It's only evidence if it was scientifically proven to be the victim's kidney, otherwise that means all the Ripper letters sent to the press and whatnot must be taken at face value.
And we can never know that, so it's a valid possibility still. And the other letters are all separate issues.

Mike
Old 11-19-2016, 01:00 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
No the Lusk letter and piece of kidney are not "evidence" because they have not been proven to be linked in any way to the killer.

Catherine Eddowes' body in the corner of Mitre Square is evidence. The sketches and photographs of her are evidence, and the doctor's reports and inquest testimony are evidence.

It appears you do not know what constitutes evidence, Mr. Lucky. If you think the Lusk letter and piece of kidney are evidence, that is merely your opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Michael View Post
It isn't evidence, but it's information linked through a rational process. Refutation of such things is based on lack of hard evidence, but there is a link and it isn't just a lark. It's a possibility and that is more than almost all "evidence" in these murders can suggest.

Nike
Hi Mike

I agree that the letters and the graffito are all part of the case but would argue that they are not evidence. In fact, as I wrote in the editorial to Ripperologist 152, they may be red herrings that have been misleading us for all these years:

"The problem with the Whitechapel murders is that because we have no real idea who the killer was—top of society, bottom of society, Englishman, foreigner, woman, professional man, working man, you take your pick!—we have far too much information to be helpful. The 'Ripper' letters and the Goulston Street graffito, for example, continue to attract inordinate attention. And yet we simply lack any evidence that the killer of those women in the East End was responsible for either. Thus, it might well be that both are actually red herrings that have been helping to mask the truth for all these years."

Thus it behooves us to be aware of what is clearly evidence and what is not.

Best regards

Chris
For info about RipperCon, in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:54 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
Hi Mike

I agree that the letters and the graffito are all part of the case but would argue that they are not evidence. In fact, as I wrote in the editorial to Ripperologist 152, they may be red herrings that have been misleading us for all these years:
I absolutely understand what you are saying. It seems to me, however that this idea of red herrings is a way for you to push these things away from the table for yourself; for perhaps your own attempts to discard what may be seen (not by me) as misleading bits of data. If that's the case, it is something we all do to some extent with this case/ these cases. I don't know if that's the right tack and I was thinking of a more sort of snapshot approach wherein everything is looked at simultaneously...a cubist approach, if you will. Anyway, I have no idea how to proceed with this 'all angles at once' attack...haha.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Michael View Post
I absolutely understand what you are saying. It seems to me, however that this idea of red herrings is a way for you to push these things away from the table for yourself; for perhaps your own attempts to discard what may be seen (not by me) as misleading bits of data. If that's the case, it is something we all do to some extent with this case/ these cases. I don't know if that's the right tack and I was thinking of a more sort of snapshot approach wherein everything is looked at simultaneously...a cubist approach, if you will. Anyway, I have no idea how to proceed with this 'all angles at once' attack...haha.

Cheers,

Mike
Hi Mike

I don't have a suspect and I am not as interested in knowing who "Jack" may have been as I am in the general topic, and the side alleys of research that the case offers. In fact I would say that at this point we probably will never know who Jack was, despite modern attempts at profiling or bringing in science such as DNA or ink testing to try to show that bogus objects can finally prove who the Ripper was. So in my prior post I was speaking from the point of view of a general observer of the field and of where we are.

Best regards

Chris
For info about RipperCon, in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/

Last edited by ChrisGeorge : 11-23-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote