Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG? - by Sam Flynn 3 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by caz 4 minutes ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Jon Guy 5 minutes ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Abby Normal 7 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was Annie Chapman a rotund woman? - by Sam Flynn 9 minutes ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Sam Flynn 20 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Why Buck's Row? - (74 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG? - (15 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (14 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (11 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (5 posts)
Rippercast: Index of Rippercast Podcasts - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 10-28-2016, 07:45 PM
Sergeant

Default So far as we know...

Your last sentence is incomplete and misleading, Paul. Other than the public,s faltering confidence in Metro, he didn,t destroy anything. Well, possibly some evidence in Mary Kelly,s room, but not much more than that. And, we can,t say that he purely loved killing; tho, he may have enjoyed killing women.

Love and hate don,t necessarily reduce the impossibilities. It would only serve that Abberline would now have to chase after all of the women lovers too. Considering this number alongside the number of abusive men in 1888, he would be chasing after most of London. It,s an aspect of profiling that doesn,t work here.

Pierre can,t think that Jack the Ripper hated killing because Pierre compared him to a tiger. Tigers don,t hate killing. They may ,,love,, the hunt and eating, but not in human terms.

Holmes had his chance to catch Jack the Ripper. Sir AC Doyle was 58 and in London at the time of.

Last edited by Robert St Devil : 10-28-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St Devil View Post

Pierre can,t think that Jack the Ripper hated killing because Pierre compared him to a tiger. Tigers don,t hate killing. They may ,,love,, the hunt and eating, but not in human terms.
This doesn't make any sense to me.

Tigers don't kill for the love of killing, but because primeval instincts drive them to eat to survive and, for a carnivore, this involves killing.

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html
Old 10-29-2016, 12:35 AM
Superintendent

It could most emphatically been a case of hate - if all the victims tended to be narcissistic dolts who thought they were the only intelligent people on earth, that their vague methodologies of thought and perception were the only true ones, and that their so-called grasp of such subjects as science, history, and even early forms of sociology were the only true ones in the universe - and insisted on these views with all their "Johns", one fed up "John" could easily have switched into a hating "Jack". Indeed, thinking about such a situation, one almost could sympathize with it!

Jeff
Old 10-29-2016, 02:21 AM
Casebook Supporter

I tend to visualise Jack's mind as a bit of a stew - everything chucked into the pot and you're never quite sure what will appear on each spoonful. There was probably more than one motive, and hate, or resentment or revenge - call it what you will - was one of the motives, perhaps the main one. I think it's worth remembering that he only killed women. Some people say that was because they were easily available. But there were other vulnerable groups - e.g. elderly male beggars, or children. Yet he leaves those alone.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:39 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Let us elaborate on the concept of "hate".

Did Jack the Ripper feel hate and if he did, how and why?

How was it visible in the crimes?

What was the object for his hate?

Why was there hate?

Did the hate preceed every murder in some specific way?

When the murders started, how did hate influence this?

When the murders stopped, had the hate also stopped?

Or are there no signs of hate in the murder cases?

Regards, Pierre
Hatred, or more specifically Anger, is clearly seen in the remains of Mary Kelly. For one, its the first appearance of random slashing of a face, something almost always linked with crimes involving some form of passion. Love and Hate are equal opposites, but the line between them is fine.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:17 AM
Chief Inspector

These women were the victims of the killer's own self-loathing.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
This doesn't make any sense to me.

Tigers don't kill for the love of killing, but because primeval instincts drive them to eat to survive and, for a carnivore, this involves killing.

Helena
Humans do things to survive too. And some do very bad things.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:50 AM
Sergeant

I don,t disagree, Helena. Tigers kill to eat to survive. Whether they prefer the taste of boar over elk or get a thrill from chasing down their prey is beyond my knowledge of tigers tho.

How do you have Hate entering ,the frame, Pierre? There,s no proof that he knew any of these women, so he had no genuine reason to hate any of them.

"doing (bad) things to survive" <- ????
Old 11-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
I don,t disagree, Helena. Tigers kill to eat to survive. Whether they prefer the taste of boar over elk or get a thrill from chasing down their prey is beyond my knowledge of tigers tho.

How do you have Hate entering ,the frame, Pierre? There,s no proof that he knew any of these women, so he had no genuine reason to hate any of them.

Yes. Killing and mutilating unfortunates is a bad thing to do.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Detective

Quote:

Well, nothing to suggest that he had a genuine reason to hate any of these women specifically - I could probably make an argument for him hating women in general though.

Then again, I could make an argument that gender isn't actually relevant to the crimes at all. It just so happened that women who were desperate enough to go into dark places with a 'strange' man while a serial killer was on the loose were easy pickings.

I could make an argument that no emotion whatsoever was required to commit these murders, and I'm sure that plenty of other people on here could do the same thing.

Equally, I could make yet another argument that he was entirely driven by hate, real or imagined.

Without a suspect, it's all a bit irrelevant though.