Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Audio -- Visual: Exorcist and JTR - by Pcdunn 46 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - by harry 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Apron placement as intimidation? - by c.d. 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Apron placement as intimidation? - by Herlock Sholmes 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Apron placement as intimidation? - by Herlock Sholmes 5 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: HH Hollmes - by Simon Wood 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - (34 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Apron placement as intimidation? - (14 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys husband - (7 posts)
Mary Ann Nichols: Double throat cuts - (7 posts)
Non-Fiction: Deconstructing Jack by Simon Wood - (5 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 08-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Aug. 13, 1961: Yosemite Killer Cary Stayner is born. After a traumatized childhood, including abuse and the kidnapping of his brother by a molester, Stayner would, in the Nineties, murder four people near California's Yosemite National Park. (Sounds too much for even the most lurid of TV-movies.)

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...y-stayner-born
First time I ever heard of this case.

Jeff
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:00 PM
Inspector

Aug. 14, 1751: Francis Blandy died this day, and it was later shown that his daughter, Mary Blandy (frustrated in her marriage plans) had been slowly poisoning his food with arsenic.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...ons-her-father
---------------
Old 08-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Inspector

Dorothy Stratten- Canadian model, Playboy Playmate and actress- was murdered on this date August 14th, 1980 by her estranged boyfriend/former manager Paul Snider. Snider committed suicide at the scene of the crime. She was 20 years old.

JM

Last edited by jmenges : 08-14-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:59 PM
Inspector

Aug. 18, 1988: Seattle judge Gary Little commits suicide following scandal involving juvenile defendants in his cases.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...ommits-suicide

Proving judges are only men with feet of clay, as well as the rest of us.
---------------
Old 08-17-2016, 11:11 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Aug. 18, 1988: Seattle judge Gary Little commits suicide following scandal involving juvenile defendants in his cases.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...ommits-suicide

Proving judges are only men with feet of clay, as well as the rest of us.
Hi Pat,

I can't recall his name but there was a big scandal some twenty years ago that shook the New York State political and judicial world. The Republicans were going to nominate the head of the New York Court of Appeals for Governor to run against incumbent Mario Cuomo (seeking his third term), and it was generally felt that unlike the two previous candidates the Judge would prove a very good opponent. Instead, the whole plan fell apart because the Judge was using his office and influence (head of the New York State Court of Appeals is on our state's level the equal of Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court) to stalk and punish a woman who spurned his advances to her. It did not help that the jurist was married as well. The upshot was not only did he not get the nomination, but he had to resign his post and was disbarred. He got a sentence commuted (probably out of misguided mercy) to community service.

Yes they can have very big feet and legs and clay. And like the huge statue that Xerxes supposedly dreamed of in that story in Herodotus, the statue falls and crushes him.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Inspector

Aug. 23, 2006: In Austria, a teen-aged woman escaped after eight years in captivity. She had been kidnapped in Vienna, when she was a 10-year-old walking to school.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...f9e2fc0bd2f213
---------------
Old 08-23-2016, 03:21 PM
Commisioner

In Scotland on August 24 of 1996, Caroline Glachan, 14, was attacked and beaten to death while walking to her boyfriend's house. The murder remains unsolved.

Stan Reid
Old 08-24-2016, 01:55 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Sorry I'm a couple of days late, but on the morning of 22 August 1485 the anointed King of England, Richard III, was bludgeoned to death by one or more foot-soldiers at Redemore in the County of Leicestershire. Strictly speaking, at least by the mores of the time, this was neither a crime nor murder, rather a justifiable killing in the heat of battle, but he was after all an anointed king.

I mention this mainly because I am a member of an organisation that actually owns a few acres of what is now known as Bosworth Battlefield, and more importantly I also happen to believe that history has been rather unkind to King Richard III.

Graham
Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Sorry I'm a couple of days late, but on the morning of 22 August 1485 the anointed King of England, Richard III, was bludgeoned to death by one or more foot-soldiers at Redemore in the County of Leicestershire. Strictly speaking, at least by the mores of the time, this was neither a crime nor murder, rather a justifiable killing in the heat of battle, but he was after all an anointed king.

I mention this mainly because I am a member of an organisation that actually owns a few acres of what is now known as Bosworth Battlefield, and more importantly I also happen to believe that history has been rather unkind to King Richard III.

Graham
On the other hand you might be a few days early if you are to take into account the adjustment in dates arising from the conversion from the Julian to Gregorian calendars.

I think Richard's bad press stems from kingship arising from the disappearance of a 12 year old boy. Not that he had anything to do with it, but he certainly benefited from it, cui bono etc.?
Old 08-24-2016, 03:32 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Graham
Hi Graham,

I wonder, is it the "Richard III Society"?

Jeff