Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Discussion: New claims Jack the Ripper was noted poet who studied as a priest in the North East - by Harry D 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Dorset Street Photo - by GUT 2 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Dorset Street Photo - by richardh 2 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - by Elamarna 2 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - by spyglass 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by harry 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Scene of the Crimes: Blood oozing - (50 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - (23 posts)
Letters and Communications: An experiment - (11 posts)
General Discussion: New claims Jack the Ripper was noted poet who studied as a priest in the North East - (9 posts)
General Police Discussion: Missing Special Branch Record - (6 posts)
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential by Tom Wescott (2017) - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 07-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Detective

First of all, I do not think the pattern in the first image is remotely similar to the star pattern. Not similar in the slightest.

Second, even if they were similar, you're not really serious about there being a connection, are you?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
This has to be one of the most ridiculous threads on the site and that's saying something.
It may seem ridiculous to you because you can't imagine any killer thinking along those lines. The fault may lie with your lack of imagination. Or can't you even imagine that possibility? It is very easy to be a naysayer, to use the words "That's ridiculous" but do you have so much as a single argument as to why it couldn't possibly be so? Of course not. Naysayers seldom have. Naysaying is a mechanism for making one seem superior. Nice try.

You want my opinion as to what are the most ridiculous threads on this board? That's easy. The ones in which certain parties here engage in tiresome bickering--like kids in a schoolyard. No one can seem to concentrate on any one thread for very long, seem to start new ones for no real reason instead of continuing older ones so that there could be some semblance of collective linear thinking or debate for anyone new coming here to learn from. Few people here seem to want to put their heads together for very long--are all over the place continuously every day. I don't think the Jack the Ripper murders will ever be solved but, if there was some chance they could be, it would likely never happen here. Too many people like you and not enough like me.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Ok. Any idea why the killer would pick those stars and no others? Is there anything special about them?
Yes, there was something special about them because they were among the brightest stars anyone could see in the heavens in that fall season. Anyone with a knowledge of astronomy or navigation could easily use them to create a murder map by using any street map. One or two of the brightest stars were omitted but that can have been for lack of time or opportunity for all we know. There's no way to know. However, even though the other murders were spread out and in different directions, those of Annie Chapman and Mary Kelly were closer together and both north of the Whitechapel Road. Why were they in that pattern?

Do I have any idea why anyone would want to do this? It's about as easy as trying to explain why anyone would want to kill those poor women in the first place. But the Ripper did use the term "fix" in a letter, which is a navigational
term. He also referred to his "tricks". What tricks? It looks like he thought himself quite clever, more clever than the police who hadn't been able to apprehend him or anticipate his next move--even though he might have had some plan.

I have no intention of arguing this to the death because there's no way to prove this was an existing pattern. I've already allowed this could be a coincidence but a pretty amazing one. I've been here long enough to note that there are people here [and anywhere on the Internet] who like to join others in bashing people or their ideas like wolves in a pack because, generally, that's all they're good for. I have no time for answering any more of that but any other comments or questions like Joshua's would be of interest.

Last edited by Aldebaran : 07-24-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
This has to be one of the most ridiculous threads on the site and that's saying something.
But I seem to recall others that were if the same tenor, shapes out of the sites, one bloke even got an arrow.

Then there's Van Gogh.

And Lewis Carrol, who seems to gave almost reappeared in Pierre's latest drivel about anagrams (that aren't).

So on the whole not even in the top ten.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:20 PM
Superintendent

For this to have any true validity one would have to show the significance (to the killer) of the choice of days for the crimes, and the positions of stars in the heaven on those occasions, which takes us closer to the field of astrology rather than astronomy. Slight possibility but it is not really a strong one (or a provable one).

Can't help repeating this: "The fault dear Brutus is in ourselves, and not in the stars!"
Old 07-24-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
For this to have any true validity one would have to show the significance (to the killer) of the choice of days for the crimes, and the positions of stars in the heaven on those occasions, which takes us closer to the field of astrology rather than astronomy. Slight possibility but it is not really a strong one (or a provable one).

Can't help repeating this: "The fault dear Brutus is in ourselves, and not in the stars!"
Why would you think the positions of the constellations would change from day to day? They are stable for quite a long time, as the earth doesn't rotate that fast. The killer could make a murder map and take his time. It's really child's play if you can read the heavens. I'll show you how easy it is in a minute.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:53 PM

Okay, this is tonight's sky [really] over the United Kingdom, looking from the south.

Here is a very rudimentary street map. I placed the most important planets and stars on the map with crude red dots. If I took my time, I could do a much better job with the distances and even the dots. The longest time it took was to upload these two images on the photo hosting site. Now I can go out and kill six victims for the next few weeks. I'll probably become the Hammersmith-Fulham Ripper, but the police will likely be clueless as to where I'll strike next. You won't be, so be sure and tip them off.

If it's that simple, why is it so impossible?
Old 07-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldebaran View Post
Why would you think the positions of the constellations would change from day to day? They are stable for quite a long time, as the earth doesn't rotate that fast. The killer could make a murder map and take his time. It's really child's play if you can read the heavens. I'll show you how easy it is in a minute.
I will admit that large heavenly bodies do move slowly - you could demonstrate this, but I have seen photos of planets or stars moving one day after another. I will say though that you still would have to show the significance of the dates chosen for such astrological/astronomical planning - also why the victims were chosen (by chance of whom was available at those places, or because of whom was the actual target with the others picked by sheer serendipity (they were at the other designated spots).

Jeff
Old 07-24-2016, 05:39 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldebaran View Post
Yes, there was something special about them because they were among the brightest stars anyone could see in the heavens in that fall season. Anyone with a knowledge of astronomy or navigation could easily use them to create a murder map by using any street map.
a sailor, perhaps?
Old 07-24-2016, 06:49 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
But I seem to recall others that were if the same tenor, shapes out of the sites, one bloke even got an arrow.

Then there's Van Gogh.

And Lewis Carrol, who seems to gave almost reappeared in Pierre's latest drivel about anagrams (that aren't).

So on the whole not even in the top ten.
About 4/1 for 65th worst.