Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Joe Barnettīs alibi accepted lightly? - by Wickerman 1 minute ago.
Letters and Communications: An experiment - by GUT 9 minutes ago.
Letters and Communications: An experiment - by MrBarnett 11 minutes ago.
Letters and Communications: An experiment - by Hercule Poirot 34 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential: Fanny Mortimer - by MrBarnett 38 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential: Fanny Mortimer - by Wickerman 1 hour and 8 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - (61 posts)
Letters and Communications: An experiment - (29 posts)
General Police Discussion: PC Thain's beat - (7 posts)
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential: Fanny Mortimer - (5 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Joe Barnettīs alibi accepted lightly? - (5 posts)
Mary Ann Nichols: Lambeth Workhouse - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 07-13-2016, 12:23 AM
Chief Inspector

Yes, our bushrangers in Oz would assure any nervous female passengers on the stagecoaches they robbed 'We don't harm ladies, ma'am.' It was good PR. Maybe these women thought they might suffer a fate worse than death!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:02 AM
Inspector

D. B. Cooper, according to the young stewardess he had the most interaction with, was very polite, and never threatened her or harmed her in any way. The young male passenger sitting near Cooper in the other aisle admitted he was a bit annoyed at all the attention the guy in sunglasses was getting from the stewardess. (Lol, if he'd only known why!)
---------------
Old 07-13-2016, 05:21 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
Yes, our bushrangers in Oz would assure any nervous female passengers on the stagecoaches they robbed 'We don't harm ladies, ma'am.' It was good PR.
Of course, the ones who got killed (eventually) and shoved down a dingo's den weren't around to testify to the contrary...
Old 07-13-2016, 07:17 AM
Inspector

Thanks Errata, I've not heard that phrase 'kissing bandit 'before, but I like it. At least, I did before Ginger dispelled the romance!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:20 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
D. B. Cooper, according to the young stewardess he had the most interaction with, was very polite, and never threatened her or harmed her in any way. The young male passenger sitting near Cooper in the other aisle admitted he was a bit annoyed at all the attention the guy in sunglasses was getting from the stewardess. (Lol, if he'd only known why!)
Apart from the huge bomb he threatened to blow her up with. I do get your point though, a gentleman bomber. Whoever he was he was ultra cool.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:55 AM
Inspector

I think the suspect's name is Robert Wesley Rackstraw, and if even half of his resume is correct, he was very cool, indeed.

Here's a link to the episodes at History,com:

http://www.history.com/shows/d-b-cooper-case-closed
---------------
Old 03-05-2017, 07:55 AM
Assistant Commissioner

I taped and watched the first episode not realizing that it was in two parts. Very frustrated not to be able to see the conclusion. Did they make a sufficient case against Rackstraw? I was really amazed at his strong resemblance to the composite sketch.

c.d.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Inspector

Default Well-- yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
I taped and watched the first episode not realizing that it was in two parts. Very frustrated not to be able to see the conclusion. Did they make a sufficient case against Rackstraw? I was really amazed at his strong resemblance to the composite sketch.

c.d.
Hello, C.D.

Well, as I recall, they questioned Rackstraw, but got no affirmative answers. The documentary ended with the evidence being boxed up to be returned to storage. The government says it isn't actively pursuing the investigation, but the case, if leads appear, will be reopened and looked at.

This link has some of the footage regarding Rackstraw at YouTube, and you might be able to find part two of the documentary "D. B. Cooper: Case Closed?" at YouTube or elsewhere on the Internet.

https://dbcooper.com/2016/07/d-b-coo...ia-connection/

The site D B Cooper.com seems rather interesting for buffs of the case. I don't know how accurate the information on the site is, though.

One thing recently discovered on the Travel Channel program "Expedition Unknown" was evidence found on the clip-on tie "Cooper" left behind. Apparently testing showed that the owner of the tie probably worked either in the production of scanners or CRT screens.
They also discovered that "D.B." should have been "Dan", and that "Dan Cooper" was a character in French-language comic book popular in Canada, about an adventurer who did exciting things like skydiving from planes. Maybe our suspect was Canadian?
Another man suggests that Dan Cooper never landed in the tall forests of Washington, but more safely in the high deserts of Nevada.
All food for thought.
---------------
Old 03-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Inspector

I accidentally watched a documentary on DB Cooper last night. A different one I think, it was more focused on whether he could have survived the jump, rather than suspect. Although it did analyse the artists impression with some facial recognition software and it came up with one Duane Weber. He apparently confessed on his deathbed that he was Dan Cooper, but it seems he has been eliminated from enquiries due to the DNA sample recovered from the necktie. From what I understand, though, the DNA evidence seems questionable.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:17 PM
Inspector

Default Clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
I accidentally watched a documentary on DB Cooper last night. A different one I think, it was more focused on whether he could have survived the jump, rather than suspect. Although it did analyse the artists impression with some facial recognition software and it came up with one Duane Weber. He apparently confessed on his deathbed that he was Dan Cooper, but it seems he has been eliminated from enquiries due to the DNA sample recovered from the necktie. From what I understand, though, the DNA evidence seems questionable.
Hi, Joshua.

It wasn't DNA found on the clip-on tie. It was particles of a material used in making CRT screens.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...cooper-n708001

Theories suggest Boeing Aircraft, or a contract company doing work for them, but nothing is solid yet.
---------------