Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Sam Flynn 6 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Robert St Devil 26 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 30 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 21 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 1 hour and 24 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Robert St Devil 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (19 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (6 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (3 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (3 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-19-2016, 07:36 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 5,433
Default

The double event would surely have been enough to spook any killer who valued his continued freedom and control as much as he valued life itself.

Waking up to reality the day after he killed Eddowes, he may have realised what close calls he'd had in Dutfield's Yard and Mitre Square, leading to a longer cooling off period than if he'd only carried out one attack, in less perilous circumstances.

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-19-2016, 07:54 AM
curious4 curious4 is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
We can suggest various possible hypotheses for the suggested gap between 1888 and 1889.
Of course this assumes that Mackenzie was a victim of the killer, which there is some support for, and that the Torso's were also the work of the same hand, this while discussed much, is not proven or accepted by many at present as fact.

Possible reasons:



1. The need to kill passed, and then returned.

This could apply if the killer was driven by strong inner urges. Such behaviour has been observed in other serial killers of the last 128 years.


2. The killer maintained a low profile after November.

This could apply if he had almost be caught, he may have believed he had been seen. The same idea could be applied for the gap in Oct 1888.


3. The killer left London and returned

This would suggest a degree of calculation and organisation, and appears to be the preferred hypothesis for Pierre.


4. The killer was incapacitated.

The killer may have had an accident or got ill, such has been suggested for the Oct 1888 gap.


5. The killer was temporarily detained either in a prison or a mental institution.

This could tie in with the statements of Cox and Sagar, who suggested the suspect they followed was placed in a private asylum, voluntary admissions were often of limited duration. however there is no evidence to support this at present.

Any of the above are possible. Some may suite the theories of some more than others, however one would also need to show a link to the cases in 1889.

regards

Steve
I'd go for number five, except that he could have escaped from a private asylum. There were few restrictions on opening one except that a doctor had to be in attendance.

Best wishes
C4
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-19-2016, 09:00 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
The double event would surely have been enough to spook any killer who valued his continued freedom and control as much as he valued life itself.

Waking up to reality the day after he killed Eddowes, he may have realised what close calls he'd had in Dutfield's Yard and Mitre Square, leading to a longer cooling off period than if he'd only carried out one attack, in less perilous circumstances.

Love,

Caz
X
Hi Caz

that makes perfect sense to me.

regards

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-19-2016, 09:23 AM
Robert St Devil Robert St Devil is online now
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
The double event would surely have been enough to spook any killer who valued his continued freedom and control as much as he valued life itself.

Waking up to reality the day after he killed Eddowes, he may have realised what close calls he'd had in Dutfield's Yard and Mitre Square, leading to a longer cooling off period than if he'd only carried out one attack, in less perilous circumstances.

Love,

Caz
X

When it comes to oct88, i agree. It,s easy to read the double event as a part of the history after the fact, but you are right, caz. It,s impact was far reaching in how L8nd8n responded. Proof could be the fact that it,s the last street murder on record for ,jack the ripper,.

Why he didn,t resume again after the city regained some normalcy is more difficult to nail down.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St Devil View Post
When it comes to oct88, i agree. It,s easy to read the double event as a part of the history after the fact, but you are right, caz. It,s impact was far reaching in how L8nd8n responded. Proof could be the fact that it,s the last street murder on record for ,jack the ripper,.

Why he didn,t resume again after the city regained some normalcy is more difficult to nail down.
Robert

of course that is not a problem if he did not kill again after Kelly, while I see some similarities with Mackenzie, i have to say i am not at all convinced of the case for the torso killings.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

[quote=Elamarna;381624]

Quote:
3. The killer left London and returned

This would suggest a degree of calculation and organisation, and appears to be the preferred hypothesis for Pierre.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your ideas in this post.

But do your hypothesis above imply that the serial killer decided to leave London as a result of calculation and organisation? And what do you think could have been a motive for that?

I mean, there are many reasons why people leave places. So why the calculation and organisation?

Kind regards, Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-19-2016, 12:26 PM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,714
Default

Pierre,

If the motive was purely to kill, and urge driven, he did not need to return to London, but could have continued elsewhere.
One assumes that if he did return and start again, this was a calculated decision.
I must admit I do not see it myself, we have no evidence to support that or idea or indeed any of the suggestions I gave.

[quote=Pierre;381679]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post



Hi Steve,

Thanks for your ideas in this post.

But do your hypothesis above imply that the serial killer decided to leave London as a result of calculation and organisation? And what do you think could have been a motive for that?

I mean, there are many reasons why people leave places. So why the calculation and organisation?

Kind regards, Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Mayerling Mayerling is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Flushing, New York
Posts: 2,696
Default

My own guess is that the gap in October 1888 is that "Jack" was carried away and did eat of the kidney ("kidne") he mentioned in that letter - which I do believe is genuine. It made him sick and he was in the hospital until November, furious that one of the victims was responsible for nearly killing him.

Now based the insistence of Pierre that the events of 1888 were begun again later in 1889, I couldn't guess what the specific reason would be for that. In fact I even question if the later killings are by him. But if we agree they are, then in the interim history began to sweep "Jack" off the central pedestal of attention he craved. He relished the limelight, and found that AFTER the horror of Dorset Street, he had become "yesterday's news".

I feel we have to do a re-evaluation of the case, but by putting it inside a time frame. And I mean we have to think about how central the case is to the period of general events from 1885 through 1895. But I better explain this on my own thread instead of this one.

Jeff

Last edited by Mayerling : 05-19-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-20-2016, 05:13 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 5,433
Default

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure a human kidney would have made the ripper sick, particularly if he fried it first. In 1972, the Andes air crash survivors ate practically every part of the bodies of those who had died, and mostly raw because the little fuel they had - including all their paper money - was used for warmth. It was the nourishment they got from eating such a variety of body parts that kept them alive until they were finally rescued when two of them - Nando Parrado and Roberto Canessa - managed to fetch help after a ten-day trek out of the mountains.

I do think the ripper killed again after MJK, but the longer gaps and less confident attacks could reflect a growing fear of being caught and reluctance to take such risks again, which may have dampened the urge to kill over time.

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig H View Post
Several possible hypothesis (what is the plural of hypothesis ???):
* fear of being caught due to much greater police presence after the double murders. This may explain why Kelly was indoors
* JTR was not in London for the gap. Alternatively, JTR did not live in London but was visiting Lindon during months of the killings
* he had people staying with him
* he no longer had a motive (after Kelly) eg if his purpose was to humiliate Warren

Craig
Hi Craig,

I think I have missed this post. (Right now I am going through previous discussions to see what I have missed.)

You say "if his purpose was to humiliate Warren". It wasn´t.

Regards, Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.