Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Bridewell 6 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Is a Ripper tour worthwhile? - by Ally 25 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly killed in daylight hours.? - by Bridewell 36 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Is a Ripper tour worthwhile? - by Geddy2112 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly killed in daylight hours.? - by richardnunweek 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by caz 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere The Psychopath - (75 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly killed in daylight hours.? - (15 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: "Murder...!" cry - (7 posts)
General Discussion: Is a Ripper tour worthwhile? - (3 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (3 posts)
Casebook Announcements: All Posters Read This! - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Read This First! > FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Inspector

Default Casebook- Mobile Edition?

Spry,

I know you are all techie and everything, have you ever considered having a mobile version of this website?

As a working-man, I find myself browsing the web more on my iPhone than a computer and a mobile edition of Casebook would be dandy.

Wondering...

JM
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Banned

I find it easy to use the forums in their present guise on both iPhone and iPad.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Inspector

Thanks for your opinion Eddie X.

I'm saying that Stephen has experience in developing apps and such, so what I'm asking of him is whether he's considered a mobile version of the website. I have no problem with the boards on an iPad, but when viewing Casebook on an iPhone, a mobile version would be an improvement. Onwards and upwards etc.

JM
Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Although the idea has been considered, there are not any firm plans in development currently.

Will let you know if anything firms up.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Cadet

It might be worth considering installing Tapatalk on the server so that people with iPhones or Android devices can use the Tapatalk app on the go.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Inspector

We have two different Android devices, a 10" Acer tablet with Ice Cream Sandwich (not upgradable), and a 7" Samsung with Jelly Bean. They both run the regular website perfectly fine with Google as a browser.

I have found that in several cases, Android has run a regular website perfectly well, no differently from running it on my desktop, then a mobile app comes out, and suddenly I am forced to download and use the mobile app, which does not have the full services of the regular website. I'm not sure why this is-- I'm assuming it is some contractual thing, in order to guarantee enough traffic for the app, even though the app is always free (the advertising may be different, I don't know).

So I would say, please, please, don't make a mobile app. I want to keep accessing the regular website on the tabs.

Also, I'm not sure it's a good thing if people can post from phones. Websites that have apps that allow posting from phones suffer from people using text-speak, because they sometimes have a character limit, or they have auto-correct/auto-complete, resulting in an incomprehensible mishmash, because they don't reread before hitting post, or they assume people will figure out what they meant, and fixing the post is "too hard" for some people. Or, they don't use caps and punctuation, because it requires three or four keystrokes to get to the character they need.

Please, no mobile apps.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Inspector

Default Mobile version vs. Mobile app

To clarify- what I was talking about is a mobile version of the website, not a stand alone app. Many websites (most prevalent in news sites and blogs) switch over to a more condensed, more readable version when you access them from a phone or tablet's web browser, 'fitting' their content to your screen thereby eliminating the need to deal with a finger zoom-in and out to click the right links and read the pages. Most sites that have this mobile viewing feature also give you the option of switching back if you want to view the site in it's regular format.

JM
Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 AM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmenges View Post
To clarify- what I was talking about is a mobile version of the website, not a stand alone app.
vBulletin has that feature built in. It's called Themes I think. There are colours, light, dark etc and also one called "mobile" which does what it says on the tin.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
It might be worth considering installing Tapatalk on the server so that people with iPhones or Android devices can use the Tapatalk app on the go.
I would second this. I love using tapatalk to navigate forums on my iPhone. It is very handy. I know there is a fee of some sort to get your forum onto their app, but it's worth it, in my eyes at least.

Cheers.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 PM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Also, I'm not sure it's a good thing if people can post from phones. Websites that have apps that allow posting from phones suffer from people using text-speak, because they sometimes have a character limit, or they have auto-correct/auto-complete, resulting in an incomprehensible mishmash, because they don't reread before hitting post, or they assume people will figure out what they meant, and fixing the post is "too hard" for some people. Or, they don't use caps and punctuation, because it requires three or four keystrokes to get to the character they need.

Please, no mobile apps.
I really doubt that would be much of a problem. I, and I am sure others who use this forum, are perfectly capable of using correct English from my iPhone.

The tapatalk app just makes navigating around a forum much easier on the smaller screen.