Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Audio -- Visual: Exorcist and JTR - by Pcdunn 46 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - by harry 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Apron placement as intimidation? - by c.d. 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Apron placement as intimidation? - by Herlock Sholmes 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Apron placement as intimidation? - by Herlock Sholmes 5 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: HH Hollmes - by Simon Wood 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - (34 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Apron placement as intimidation? - (14 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys husband - (7 posts)
Mary Ann Nichols: Double throat cuts - (7 posts)
Non-Fiction: Deconstructing Jack by Simon Wood - (5 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 03-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Banned

Mick:

It looks like poor Shannon did not have a good environment as clearly her mother was a rotten mother unsupportive of her little girl and the man who had kidnapped her for 23 days had lost custody of his own sons, pressumably for bad parenting skills.

So this is why Shannon is in a protective order by the police because she is not safe in her own family environment, if Shannon hates her mother it is because this little girl was being mistreated by her mother, therefore, Shannon will be removed from there and she will be placed with loving foster parents.

Depending on what Shannon tells the police about what really went on in her family environment, her mother could be facing prison onwhatever transpires of her conversation with the police.

In any case, I´m relieved and happy she has been found alive and that she can be placed with a loving family who will care and guide her during her growing years, so that she become a useful member of our society and not a messed up unhappy person.

-Maria
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Sergeant

Hi all, why is Shannon being discussed on a Madeline McCann thread? It would probably be better for someone to open a new thread on her.Mind you,the moron McCanns have become unusually quiet lately,they won't like being out of the limelight,what's the betting there'll be a new Madeline "sighting"soon.Regards.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Superintendent

Hi Anna, I guess patterns might emerge that draw comparisons to the Mccann affair.

The reason why they have been so quite is because a month ago they stated they were going to sue a number of British newspapers, the very same newspapers that helped launch the Madeline search!

My guess is they should have let the slurs go and just get on with it, now they have lost a valuble allie and the 1 year anniv is only a few months away.

I am glad Shannon has been found but i am still puzzled why it was her Step fathers Uncle who abducted her, and if that was the case, why was she laughing in the flat??

I just hope she can get over this, the police released a statement yesterday,

"Shannon slept well and is comfortable, this morning she had breakfast, watched DVD's and played with a kitten"

At least someone is taking care of her now.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned

Mike:

When you are dealing with the media is like dealing with a double bladed knife. The media is only interested in selling newspapers and if the story of the concocted lies of the Portuguese police leaks sells newspapers... then they will repeat these unsubstantiated rumours to sell newspapers over here and because a responsible media cannot ever print gossip and innuendo in this country, then they print it as: " according to Portuguese newspapers, bla,bla,bla and this way, they are reporting what others are saying. NOT as their own story but what is being reported by others elsewhere.

Believe me, we do deal with the media and they will not report what you think they will report, they will omit or emphasize whatever is sensationalist, whatever sells, I´m talking about the tabloids rather than the more serious newspapers.

-Maria
Old 03-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Inactive

Default More Nonsense From Maria

Hi everyone,

Once again Maria has gleefully disregarded the facts to put her own warped spin on everything. She writes on post number 9:

“It is just that at the Mc Cann´s thread Bob was saying the parents should be jailed on suspition of killing their daughter”

The truth is of course I have never said anything of the sort!

Let us not get too carried away here with the wonderful work done by the British police and how much better they are than other national police forces. The fact is in this case the police did NOT find Shannon, her presence was detected by a neighbour who informed the police. Hardly the same as tracking her down with brilliant police work. They failed to find her in spite of the fact that it appears she was being held by a relative, who the police assured us had all been checked, less than one mile away from where she was last seen.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Inactive

Default This Really Is Libellous!!

Maria has just posted post number 65

"if Shannon hates her mother it is because this little girl was being mistreated by her mother,"

There is absolutely not one scrap of evidence to support this outrageous claim, and this from a woman who insists that no one say a bad word about the McCanns without cast iron evidence!!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Banned

Bob Hinton:

Keep the insults to a minimum when my thoughts clash with yours.

The great difference between the British police and the incompetent Portuguese police is that our police FOLLOWED ALL THE LEADS.

They followed the lead of the neighbour who reported a child´s voice in a house where everyone knew there were no children in the house. THAT is the major difference which led to the happy outcome.

The Portuguese police IGNORED ALL THE LEADS. See the difference ? and this is why the policeman in charge of the investigation was DISMISSED FOR HIS INCOMPETENCE.

I hope you can get that. More clearly than that I cannot put it to you. Comprende ?

-Maria
Old 03-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Covell View Post
Morning Maria,

Having lived in Dewsbury for over a year, I was attracted to the case of little Shannon, and know the area, and many of it's people well.

It is a former pit town, with several mills which closed forcing many of the locals into unemployment.

Add to that a growing influx of Asians, (parts of the town are asian only) and tensions become stretched.

In the area were I was fortunate to work, which was only minutes from Shannon's mums house, the community was so close nit every night at the pub was like a family party, with little or no trouble. I worked at the only pub on the estate, which became packed every night.

When the girl went missing people will begin to draw comparisons with the Mccann Case, and draw their own conclusions, but several statements regarding the Shannon Case bugged me,

Several of her school friends, saw her crying and upset, these were the last people to speak to her.

Then there was the graffiti which she had written at her mums house stating she hated her mum, and wanted to be with her dad.

Then there was the statement made that she had run from home before and even had a little den she had built to escape to.

Then we have the neighbours of the accused who saw the girl the day after everyone else, and did nothing about it.

The neighbour who heard a girl laughing but did nothing of it.

It was only the third neighbour who heard a little girls footsteps and reported it, as the accused had, had both his children taken from him.

The police stated that Shannon was under a Police Protection order, from who? They have their man don't they??

When something happens in a community like that, everyone knows about it.

Bob Hinton:

Maybe before you start shouting: Libel, libel. You would do well to read what Mike has written above where he says that Shannon told her friends that she hated her mum.

This is NOT a statement made by myself, but it comes from a newspaper report that Mike read. We don´t know what really happened between Shannon and her mother but the truth is, that the little girl was not handed back to her mum as that would be the natural thing to do, so there must be a GOOD reason why the police put her into a protective order. For any child being with her mother is the best place to be... unless there is something wrong. That is common sense ! Can you not see it ???

-Maria
Old 03-17-2008, 02:15 AM
Sergeant

Nice to see you back Bob! and Maria aswell.....although I have to agree with Bob on this one, how on earth can you have a conflict of opinion all on your own Maria!.........You are happy,as we all are, to see Shannon back safe and sound and quite rightly the tone of you post against him demonstrates this.Yet we don't see Maddie back and you seem to feel the treatment of the very people who may hold the key to her dissappearance unfair,and feel the Portuguese police were incompetant.The McCanns seem to suffer the same conflict of opinion as you,as they promised 100% co-operation,then refused to answer questions.Now they have been given the privacy they requested to go away and grieve in private,they are back to threaten to sue the press,the press that gave them front page backing that was in their favour.Until the press sensed the feeling of the country was swaying away from the McCanns.The ordinary folk of this land,the very people who criticised and suprised our Monarch when Diana died,by their power of opinion.Doesn't matter what the press report,people make up their own minds.And the people would like to see this couple answer up to something they feel they may be hiding.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Inactive

Default Maria Makes It Up Again!!!!

Hello Anna,

Many thanks for the welcome. I'm afraid that you are wasting your time trying to get any sense out of Maria; she just makes up what she wants and ignores facts. Take her recent tirade against me in post No. 70:

Maybe before you start shouting: Libel, libel. You would do well to read what Mike has written above where he says that Shannon told her friends that she hated her mum.

Now this is a straightforward statement, according to Maria, Mike posted that Shannon told her friends that she hated her mum. No wriggle room that’s exactly what Maria wrote. Of course when we actually see what Mike wrote we find it completely different. Nowhere does Mike say that Shannon said she hated her mum. What he wrote was:

Then there was the graffiti which she had written at her mums house stating she hated her mum, and wanted to be with her dad.

Of course in Maria World graffiti turns into speech – she’ll have Jack the Ripper standing around in Mitre Square telling everybody about the ‘Jewes’ instead of possibly scrawling it on a wall. She also doesn’t seem to know the difference between Mike stating in his post:

Then there was the graffiti, which she had written at her mum’s house stating she hated her mum, and wanted to be with her dad.

Which is nothing more than a comment, hating someone is not a criminal act and therefore not libellous and her stating as fact:

"if Shannon hates her mother it is because this little girl was being mistreated by her mother,"

Which of course is stating that her mother committed a criminal act by abusing her child, which is libellous. But once again in Maria World the facts don’t matter!

She also has a very strange attitude when it comes to the McCann case. She roundly condemns everyone for relying on newspaper reports, but when it comes to her she feels free to make up the most ludicrous nonsense. Again from post 70.

“The Portuguese police IGNORED ALL THE LEADS. See the difference ?”

This of course is blatant nonsense as was proved recently with all the furore about bucktooth man. The papers and the McCanns were screaming that this was a great lead and why weren’t the police following it up – they are incompetent etc. When all the shouting and screaming had died down it was made known that the PJ had in fact traced this chap and dismissed him from the inquiries many months ago.

Still if you can don your best anti-garbage trousers Maria’s posts do make comical reading!!