Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Michael W Richards 42 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Michael W Richards 56 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Was Jack caught by London underworld? - by Mayerling 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by David Orsam 3 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Was Jack caught by London underworld? - by j.r-ahde 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Debra A 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (39 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (14 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (9 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Jack caught by London underworld? - (7 posts)
Non-Ripper Books by Ripper Authors: Mob Town by John Bennett - (3 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion > Notable Persons

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 10-24-2016, 03:44 PM
Hair Bear Hair Bear is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 38
Default

Again, thanks. I looked into his last address and was hoping the original building was still there, but alas, no so.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Patrick S Patrick S is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
If Paul killed Nichols and then decided to hide in Bucks Row - why did he change that decision and step forward as Lechmere arrived?

For the same reason you have Cross NOT simply walking off into the darkness: in order to completely avoid suspicion He'd hoped Cross would walk on. He didn't. He was FORCED OUT! What if he were discovered, as you say, "hiding" in Buck's Row? Precisely as you'd have us believe Cross eschewed the opportunity to simply walk away into the darkness in order to "bluff his way out", Paul pulls his scam to avoid suspicion for all time. His behavior makes sense, after all, in that he was a psychopath. As you say, whoever killed Nichols was Jack the Ripper and Jack the Ripper was a psychopath. As well, we must - as you've said with respect to Cross - view Paul as guilty and see how it holds up. So far, it's holding up pretty well!


If Paul killed Nichols, why did he suggest they should prop her up, when he must have known that it would give away what had happened?

Paul suggested they prop her up in order to explain any blood that may have gotten on his person as he committed murder and mutilation. Being a cunning psychopath, he reasoned he may at some point be inspected by his companion or by the police. It seems he had to content himself with only touching Nichols, as Cross refused to help move her. He also seems to have tried a bluff on Cross, saying he thought her breathing.

The suggestion that Paul was the killer keeps popping up fr some odd reason. One wonders why, when Lechmere fits the bill so much better.

They fit the bill in precisely the same way, not well at all. However, if we're comparing the two, Paul is the much better candidate. Running his mouth in the press. His "hatred" of the police! Perhaps the murders were his way of making fools of the police he hated so intensely! He also "big upped" himself! A self-aggrandizer! A textbook narcissistic psychopath!
I think we've got it! No small thanks to Christer! His quite inaccurate theory led us to the real killer! All we had to do was apply the identical logic Christer applies to Cross to Paul.....and VIOLA! We've "got Jack the Ripper at last!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-17-2017, 09:41 AM
Patrick S Patrick S is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
As for why Lechmere stayed with the body, Andy Griffiths said in the docu that there was no way Lechmere would run, given the amount of PC:s and watchmen around. I tend to agree that it would be a dangerous thing to do. There is also the possibility that Lechmere was in a sort of bubble, cutting away at Nichols, and only heard Paul very late in the process.
Yet, the killer DID run or - as is more likely - simply walk away after each of the subsequent murders. It cannot be argued that Buck's Row had more police in the vicinity on "high alert" than did Mitre Square. Yet, the killer did not hide in the shadows or attempt a bluff. He wasn't hidden in back of 29 Hanbury Street. He didn't hide in Dutfield's Yard. He didn't hide in Mary Kelly's bedroom. He walked away.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-17-2017, 03:32 PM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Yet, the killer DID run or - as is more likely - simply walk away after each of the subsequent murders. It cannot be argued that Buck's Row had more police in the vicinity on "high alert" than did Mitre Square. Yet, the killer did not hide in the shadows or attempt a bluff. He wasn't hidden in back of 29 Hanbury Street. He didn't hide in Dutfield's Yard. He didn't hide in Mary Kelly's bedroom. He walked away.
Hi Patrick,

I think that someone has given Andy Griffiths the impression that Bucks Row was 'crawling' with Constables? I just don't see how it can be argued with a straight face that a guilty CL would have been better of staying put and waiting for someone to arrive(someone who could have been the hysterical type and shouted 'murderer!) than walking away to obvious freedom. He could have walked almost at running speed and attracted no attention as a man late for work.
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-18-2017, 03:00 AM
FrankO FrankO is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
I just don't see how it can be argued with a straight face that a guilty CL would have been better of staying put and waiting for someone to arrive(someone who could have been the hysterical type and shouted 'murderer!) than walking away to obvious freedom.
I agree, Michael. It’s argued that Lechmere w/couldn’t run because, otherwise, he would likely have run right into the arms of PC Neil, for example, (although no alarm would be raised for at least half a minute after walking away), but waiting for Paul would only mean increasing the risk of walking into this SAME PC on the western stretch of Buck’s Row or, even, of this PC arriving at the spot before he & Paul could leave. This would have been a very real possibility and Lechmere the killer could not bank on it not to happen.

I can’t imagine that meeting a PC in Buck’s Row (who would very likely be the beat PC) would look more attractive to Lechmere than walking away right after hearing Paul.

All the best,
Frank
__________________
"You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankO View Post
I agree, Michael. It’s argued that Lechmere w/couldn’t run because, otherwise, he would likely have run right into the arms of PC Neil, for example, (although no alarm would be raised for at least half a minute after walking away), but waiting for Paul would only mean increasing the risk of walking into this SAME PC on the western stretch of Buck’s Row or, even, of this PC arriving at the spot before he & Paul could leave. This would have been a very real possibility and Lechmere the killer could not bank on it not to happen.

I can’t imagine that meeting a PC in Buck’s Row (who would very likely be the beat PC) would look more attractive to Lechmere than walking away right after hearing Paul.

All the best,
Frank
Hi Frank/all
I agree-the most likely thing for him to have done was skidaddle the second her heard or saw Paul.

However, if he thought he was almost caught red handed, and wasn't sure what Paul had seen He may have froze for a second or two and stayed put to bluff it out.
but then he walks with Paul to the policeman. he could have separated with him at any point.

that being said Ive softened a little bit to the whole thing because I had a similar experience. walking to my car late at night that was parked in an alley I turned the corner and came upon a man down and a man very near. he said when he saw me go get help. I turned and went back out in the street and flagged a copper. when we got back the standing man had fled and the man on the ground was coming to. he said the other man had knocked him out and stole his wallet, watch and phone.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Robert St Devil Robert St Devil is online now
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 717
Default

hello franko. he would have had to have known pc neil was coming from that direction to fear running away from paul. there have been two points that ive been considering in the lechmere theory:

1. he had a knife and was capable of murder. why not juat stab paul?
2. how could he distinguish between the sound of paul's boots and a constable's boots? or, how did he know that the approaching man (paul) wasn't the constable?
__________________
there,s nothing new, only the unexplored
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St Devil View Post
2. how could he distinguish between the sound of paul's boots and a constable's boots? or, how did he know that the approaching man (paul) wasn't the constable?
Hi Robert

Police issue boots of the Victorian period were notoriously heavy; I believe Punch magazine once said they could be heard a full half mile away. While this is (probably) an exaggeration, Neil did say he heard (rather than saw) his fellow PC Thain pass the end of Buck's Row, which was about 100 yards away. Contrast that with Cross first hearing Paul approach at just 40 yards.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-19-2017, 12:36 AM
FrankO FrankO is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
However, if he thought he was almost caught red handed, and wasn't sure what Paul had seen He may have froze for a second or two and stayed put to bluff it out.
but then he walks with Paul to the policeman. he could have separated with him at any point.
Hi Abby,

A couple of remarks.

Firstly, of course, Lechmere the killer may not have been completely sure about what Paul had seen, but I would think he must have been fairly sure Paul wouldn’t see him before he’d taken his position in the middle of the street. Otherwise, why do it at all? What use would it have if Paul could hear or see him before he was ready?

Secondly, I don’t have any doubts that Lechmere may have frozen for a couple of seconds when he first heard Paul, but a couple of seconds wouldn’t have mattered much, as Paul would still have been some 50 yards away from him after those couple of seconds, which wouldn’t have changed the situation much. He would still have had half a minute or so to walk away instead of increasing the chance that he'd walk into the beat PC on the western part of Buck’s Row by waiting for Paul. If he judged the chance was too big that he would walk right into the arms of a PC if he would get away when he first heard Paul, that chance would only increase with the time he waited before leaving the crime spot, whether that would be alone or in company with Paul.

All the best,
Frank
__________________
"You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.