Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Value of a lie - by Elamarna 3 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Iconoclast 5 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was Annie Chapman a rotund woman? - by Pierre 11 minutes ago.
General Police Discussion: Leaving one's beat - by Elamarna 12 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: American Jack: Jack the Ripper and the United States - by Pcdunn 13 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Henry Flower 16 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (26 posts)
Periodicals: The Suicide of Pigott - (21 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (17 posts)
Martha Tabram: Things which don't make sense (to me) - (14 posts)
Witnesses: Value of a lie - (12 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was Annie Chapman a rotund woman? - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion > Notable Persons

Old 10-24-2016, 03:44 PM
Cadet

Again, thanks. I looked into his last address and was hoping the original building was still there, but alas, no so.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
If Paul killed Nichols and then decided to hide in Bucks Row - why did he change that decision and step forward as Lechmere arrived?

For the same reason you have Cross NOT simply walking off into the darkness: in order to completely avoid suspicion He'd hoped Cross would walk on. He didn't. He was FORCED OUT! What if he were discovered, as you say, "hiding" in Buck's Row? Precisely as you'd have us believe Cross eschewed the opportunity to simply walk away into the darkness in order to "bluff his way out", Paul pulls his scam to avoid suspicion for all time. His behavior makes sense, after all, in that he was a psychopath. As you say, whoever killed Nichols was Jack the Ripper and Jack the Ripper was a psychopath. As well, we must - as you've said with respect to Cross - view Paul as guilty and see how it holds up. So far, it's holding up pretty well!

If Paul killed Nichols, why did he suggest they should prop her up, when he must have known that it would give away what had happened?

Paul suggested they prop her up in order to explain any blood that may have gotten on his person as he committed murder and mutilation. Being a cunning psychopath, he reasoned he may at some point be inspected by his companion or by the police. It seems he had to content himself with only touching Nichols, as Cross refused to help move her. He also seems to have tried a bluff on Cross, saying he thought her breathing.

The suggestion that Paul was the killer keeps popping up fr some odd reason. One wonders why, when Lechmere fits the bill so much better.

They fit the bill in precisely the same way, not well at all. However, if we're comparing the two, Paul is the much better candidate. Running his mouth in the press. His "hatred" of the police! Perhaps the murders were his way of making fools of the police he hated so intensely! He also "big upped" himself! A self-aggrandizer! A textbook narcissistic psychopath!
I think we've got it! No small thanks to Christer! His quite inaccurate theory led us to the real killer! All we had to do was apply the identical logic Christer applies to Cross to Paul.....and VIOLA! We've "got Jack the Ripper at last!"
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
As for why Lechmere stayed with the body, Andy Griffiths said in the docu that there was no way Lechmere would run, given the amount of PC:s and watchmen around. I tend to agree that it would be a dangerous thing to do. There is also the possibility that Lechmere was in a sort of bubble, cutting away at Nichols, and only heard Paul very late in the process.
Yet, the killer DID run or - as is more likely - simply walk away after each of the subsequent murders. It cannot be argued that Buck's Row had more police in the vicinity on "high alert" than did Mitre Square. Yet, the killer did not hide in the shadows or attempt a bluff. He wasn't hidden in back of 29 Hanbury Street. He didn't hide in Dutfield's Yard. He didn't hide in Mary Kelly's bedroom. He walked away.
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Yet, the killer DID run or - as is more likely - simply walk away after each of the subsequent murders. It cannot be argued that Buck's Row had more police in the vicinity on "high alert" than did Mitre Square. Yet, the killer did not hide in the shadows or attempt a bluff. He wasn't hidden in back of 29 Hanbury Street. He didn't hide in Dutfield's Yard. He didn't hide in Mary Kelly's bedroom. He walked away.
Hi Patrick,

I think that someone has given Andy Griffiths the impression that Bucks Row was 'crawling' with Constables? I just don't see how it can be argued with a straight face that a guilty CL would have been better of staying put and waiting for someone to arrive(someone who could have been the hysterical type and shouted 'murderer!) than walking away to obvious freedom. He could have walked almost at running speed and attracted no attention as a man late for work.

Herlock

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains no matter how improbable........is probably a bit boring!"
Old Today, 03:00 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
I just don't see how it can be argued with a straight face that a guilty CL would have been better of staying put and waiting for someone to arrive(someone who could have been the hysterical type and shouted 'murderer!) than walking away to obvious freedom.
I agree, Michael. Itís argued that Lechmere w/couldnít run because, otherwise, he would likely have run right into the arms of PC Neil, for example, (although no alarm would be raised for at least half a minute after walking away), but waiting for Paul would only mean increasing the risk of walking into this SAME PC on the western stretch of Buckís Row or, even, of this PC arriving at the spot before he & Paul could leave. This would have been a very real possibility and Lechmere the killer could not bank on it not to happen.

I canít imagine that meeting a PC in Buckís Row (who would very likely be the beat PC) would look more attractive to Lechmere than walking away right after hearing Paul.

All the best,
Frank