Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casebook- Mobile Edition?

Spry,

I know you are all techie and everything, have you ever considered having a mobile version of this website?

As a working-man, I find myself browsing the web more on my iPhone than a computer and a mobile edition of Casebook would be dandy.

Wondering...

JM

I find it easy to use the forums in their present guise on both iPhone and iPad.

Comment

Thanks for your opinion Eddie X.

I'm saying that Stephen has experience in developing apps and such, so what I'm asking of him is whether he's considered a mobile version of the website. I have no problem with the boards on an iPad, but when viewing Casebook on an iPhone, a mobile version would be an improvement. Onwards and upwards etc.

JM

Comment

Although the idea has been considered, there are not any firm plans in development currently.

Will let you know if anything firms up.

Comment

It might be worth considering installing Tapatalk on the server so that people with iPhones or Android devices can use the Tapatalk app on the go.

Comment

We have two different Android devices, a 10" Acer tablet with Ice Cream Sandwich (not upgradable), and a 7" Samsung with Jelly Bean. They both run the regular website perfectly fine with Google as a browser.

I have found that in several cases, Android has run a regular website perfectly well, no differently from running it on my desktop, then a mobile app comes out, and suddenly I am forced to download and use the mobile app, which does not have the full services of the regular website. I'm not sure why this is-- I'm assuming it is some contractual thing, in order to guarantee enough traffic for the app, even though the app is always free (the advertising may be different, I don't know).

So I would say, please, please, don't make a mobile app. I want to keep accessing the regular website on the tabs.

Also, I'm not sure it's a good thing if people can post from phones. Websites that have apps that allow posting from phones suffer from people using text-speak, because they sometimes have a character limit, or they have auto-correct/auto-complete, resulting in an incomprehensible mishmash, because they don't reread before hitting post, or they assume people will figure out what they meant, and fixing the post is "too hard" for some people. Or, they don't use caps and punctuation, because it requires three or four keystrokes to get to the character they need.

Please, no mobile apps.

Comment

Mobile version vs. Mobile app

To clarify- what I was talking about is a mobile version of the website, not a stand alone app. Many websites (most prevalent in news sites and blogs) switch over to a more condensed, more readable version when you access them from a phone or tablet's web browser, 'fitting' their content to your screen thereby eliminating the need to deal with a finger zoom-in and out to click the right links and read the pages. Most sites that have this mobile viewing feature also give you the option of switching back if you want to view the site in it's regular format.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                To clarify- what I was talking about is a mobile version of the website, not a stand alone app.
                vBulletin has that feature built in. It's called Themes I think. There are colours, light, dark etc and also one called "mobile" which does what it says on the tin.

Comment

Originally posted by miner2049er View Post
                  It might be worth considering installing Tapatalk on the server so that people with iPhones or Android devices can use the Tapatalk app on the go.
                  I would second this. I love using tapatalk to navigate forums on my iPhone. It is very handy. I know there is a fee of some sort to get your forum onto their app, but it's worth it, in my eyes at least.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
                    Also, I'm not sure it's a good thing if people can post from phones. Websites that have apps that allow posting from phones suffer from people using text-speak, because they sometimes have a character limit, or they have auto-correct/auto-complete, resulting in an incomprehensible mishmash, because they don't reread before hitting post, or they assume people will figure out what they meant, and fixing the post is "too hard" for some people. Or, they don't use caps and punctuation, because it requires three or four keystrokes to get to the character they need.

Please, no mobile apps.
                    I really doubt that would be much of a problem. I, and I am sure others who use this forum, are perfectly capable of using correct English from my iPhone.

The tapatalk app just makes navigating around a forum much easier on the smaller screen.

Comment

For some reason can't work out I can't even view new posts on my iPad 9/10.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Everybodies or more mercifully just your own?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                          Everybodies or more mercifully just your own?

All the best

Dave
                          G'day Dave

Haven't tried anyone else's guess I should.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I hav no problem at all accessing Casebook or the message boards on my workplace-supplied iPad, but my personal tablet (a Galaxy using Verizon as a provider) does not allow me to post replies on the message boards. The "Reply" button we need to hit first simply does not show up!
                            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                            ---------------
                            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                            ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                              I hav no problem at all accessing Casebook or the message boards on my workplace-supplied iPad, but my personal tablet (a Galaxy using Verizon as a provider) does not allow me to post replies on the message boards. The "Reply" button we need to hit first simply does not show up!
                              Had lots of problems on my old iPad, the new one is fine.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X