No announcement yet.

Stephenson Related Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephenson died in 1916 (a fact discovered by Chris Scott) and his address was given as 129 St Johns Road, Islington which was a Workhouse. It was built in 1867 and demolished in 1972. St Johns Road is now called St Johns Way and runs eastward from Archway underground station in North London. As it's not too far from where I live I decided to go there today and see if anything interesting remained of the site. Check the building to the right of the Workhouse in this old print.

Click image for larger version

Name:	st johns rd workhouse.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	655227

Here it is today. The Workhouse would have been behind the trees on the left.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC190127.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	655228
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Wow thanks for posting these Stephen, How Brown posted some links which contained contempory photo's over on jtrforums.com, they were quite eerie, and, I believe, dated the year after Stephenson passed away!
      Regards Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike

Howard's links are a bit hard to find as they are not on a Stephenson thread.

Here they are.....

allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
          This is 119 Houndsditch in 1910, behind this building the Houndsditch murders occured. 119 Is also directly opposite Castle/Goring Street.

[ATTACH]1088[/ATTACH]

Rob
          Hi All
          New to the forums as when googling 119 Houndsditch I was directed to this page and website.
          I am unsure if this post needs to be in a new thread but will go with the flow......
          Has anyone come across any other photos / pictures of 119 Houndsditch because while doing some family history I have found out that my 2nd Great Grandfather owned the shop \o/ around the 1851 period until his death in 1859, his wife kepted it on then had to eventually sell it to Harris.

I know it's not Ripperish but i have to try all avenues

Comment

Working...
          X