Israel Schwartz Birth Record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel Schwartz Birth Record?

I'm not sure if this has been looked at before, so apologies for any duplication. Ancestry's "Birth Records collected by Rabbis in Various Counties, 1791-1914" has the following skeleton entry under Hungary:

Izrael Hersko Schwartz
    born 3oth August 1865 in Tolcsva. Father's Name: Zelig. Mother's name: Hani.

Ancestry says: "Database transcribed from original records located on microfilm at the Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah. Specific microfilm information is provided with each record. This data is provided in partnership with JewishGen.org."

The names far from unusual but, if anyone wants to chase this up, the Source reference is: "LDS 642960, Vol. 7." Page - Item "43 - 11"
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

nice

Hello Colin. Nice find.

Perhaps it can be chased down.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

I'm surprised that's all you found. I know a Yisrael Schwartz who is 10 years old, and lives in Missouri, and a guy I knew in New York, who is about my age, so, mid-40s, is named Ian Schwartz on his birth certificate, but his Hebrew name is "Yisrael," aka Israel. I also know a Jason Swartz, and I don't know his Hebrew name, but it's probably either Yisrael or Yitzhak.

I know tons of people who are Bat or Ben Yisrael (daughter or son of Yisrael/Israel). It would be hard to go through Jewish records and not find the name.

Comment

"I'm Surprised That's All You Found"

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
        I'm surprised that's all you found. I know a Yisrael Schwartz who is 10 years old, and lives in Missouri, and a guy I knew in New York, who is about my age, so, mid-40s, is named Ian Schwartz on his birth certificate, but his Hebrew name is "Yisrael," aka Israel. I also know a Jason Swartz, and I don't know his Hebrew name, but it's probably either Yisrael or Yitzhak.

I know tons of people who are Bat or Ben Yisrael (daughter or son of Yisrael/Israel). It would be hard to go through Jewish records and not find the name.
        Rivkah,

As I said, the name is not unusual. That's why I didn't claim that this was the birth record of the Israel Schwartz. I would argue, as I suggested, that it is a possibility worthy of further investigation. That's all. Perhaps you could post some of the other possibilities which you have unearthed - Israel Schwartz born in the 1860's in Hungary - so that we know how many we're really looking at? Yes, the Israel Schwartz we're looking for could be any Israel Schwartz born in the right place at the right time - including this one.

Comment

helpful

Hello Colin. I found the same. The date is rather good as Israel was supposed to be young.

This helps if only because we have a middle name to work with.

Thanks again.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Hi Lynn

Could you refresh my memory on why Israel is supposed to have been young? Any info about this elusive character welcome.

Comment

source

Hello Robert. Thanks.

I'm giving it a go. Perhaps it was a thread?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

It's a tough nut to crack. The Samuel St Schwartz is very appealing, but the Polish nationality is a downer.

Comment

This doesn't relate to his birth record, but I'm looking through Business Directories and in 1902 there's an Israel Schwartz working as a grocer at 21, Jubilee Street - less than a mile from the Dutfields Yard location.

Comment

And in 1921 there's a cabinet-maker at 46, Hare Street, Bethnal Green

Comment

Hi

There was an Isreal Schwartz watchmaker in Back Church Lane in the 1920's

Comment

Sorry make that 35 Cable Street just on the junction of Back Church Lane, he was there in 1921. A very short walk from Ellen Street/ Back Church Lane, where he lived in 1888
                        Last edited by Observer; 05-06-2013, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks to Bridewell and Observer.

The entries for the grocer in Jubilee Street and the watchmaker in Cable Street both relate to the Israel Schwartz (d. 1936) who was living in Samuel Street in 1891.

I'm not sure about the cabinet maker, but information was posted by Chris Scott and Neal Shelden about an Austrian-born cabinet maker named Israel Schwartz who married Rose Linsen in 1893 and was living in Rothschild's Buildings, Spitalfields, in 1901. He was aged 28 then, and I'd guess he came to England after 1891.

Comment

If approximate age helps anyone here, I believe Louis was around 28, many interviewed members were under 30, and Kozebrodski was around 17.

If Israel knew Wess, then he was likely around the same age. Wess was 27.

This was not an old mans social club...it was a young anarchists club.

Cheers
                            Michael Richards

Comment

Working...
                            X