Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate Companion

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Hello Bridewell. Do you have "Letters from Hell" or "Ultimate Companion"? Both cover letters are published there.

Cheers.
    LC

Hi Lynn,

By "Ultimate Companion" do you mean "The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook"? If so, yes (so I'd better go and look at it!), if not, can you advise me of the author(s) please.

Best Wishes, Bridewell.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

almost

Hello Bridewell. Although I don't think those are exactly the same, I daresay it also contains a photo of those letters.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
        Hi Lynn,

By "Ultimate Companion" do you mean "The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook"? If so, yes (so I'd better go and look at it!), if not, can you advise me of the author(s) please.

Best Wishes, Bridewell.
        Hi Bridewell

It's the same excellent and essential book authored by Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner but with an altered title depending on whether you get the U.S. or U.K edition. It was published in hardback as The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook: An Illustrated Encyclopedia by Robinson in London in 2000, and as The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion: An Illustrated Encyclopedia by Carroll & Graf in New York the same year.

Best regards

Chris
        Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 01-04-2012, 05:04 PM.
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

I Have It

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
          Hi Bridewell

It's the same excellent and essential book authored by Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner but with an altered title depending on whether you get the U.S. or U.K edition. It was published in hardback as The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook: An Illustrated Encyclopedia by Robinson in London in 2000, and as The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion: An Illustrated Encyclopedia by Carroll & Graf in New York the same year.

Best regards

Chris
          Thanks, Chris. I have the English version, but the paperback edition, so I'll have a look.

Best Wishes, Bridewell.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
            This is a bit of a kite-flying exercise, but we'll see where it leads. Whilst the Dear Boss & Saucy Jack appear to be written in the same hand, the Lusk Letter (& possibly the Oppenshaw also) seem to be in another. It occurs to me, though that, at that time, left-handed children were forced to write with their right hand. Might the formal "copperplate" of the Dear Boss & Saucy Jack be written with the right hand by such an individual, with the Lusk letter, with its obvious rage, being written by the left (or even vice versa)? In short, is it dangerous to assume that, because they appear so different, they were, of necessity, written by different people?
            (This thread is not about whether or not the letters are genuine, but whether or not the same person could have written them).
            Someone should do an exercise on here where one person should write several different paragraphs in different hand and a couple of other people do the same and then have the rest of the folks on this site see if they can match any together. Just an idea

Comment

Hi Red, I for one think that's a damn good idea. I think it would be fun and enlightening. You're in charge of the project.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

in line

Hello Red, Tom. Count me in. How can I help?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Working...
                X