3D of Mitre Square based off Frederick Foster’s Drawing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D of Mitre Square based off Frederick Foster’s Drawing

Decided to create this model from Frederick Foster’s drawing. think it turned out quite good.

View it in full screen and if you are rich enough to own a VR viewer then you can stand right in the square as if you're there!

Mitre Square in London’s Whitechapel was the site of the murder of Catherine Eddowes by “Jack the Ripper”. Her mutilated body was found there at 1:45 in the morning on 30 September 1888. This model is based directly off Frederick Foster’s scale drawing of the Square: Click here for the same model at night time. - Mitre Square - Jack The Ripper Crime Scene - Download Free 3D model by Huuxloc (@rjh41)

Gimme ideas on how to improve it, things to add etc.

thanks
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Brilliant, many thanks.

Comment

Very interesting! Thank for the link.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Breathtakingly good, and strangely moving. Many thanks for this.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Good example of how he had cornered himself with patrolling officers needing to just shine their light a few more meters and catch him in the act.
          Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Very good, as always

This time without the body in situ, though - will you consider adding it?

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
              Good example of how he had cornered himself with patrolling officers needing to just shine their light a few more meters and catch him in the act.
              Indeed. It's too bad the police lanterns back then just didn't have the range.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Door where George Morris was working

Could you add the two entrances for Kearley & Tonge warehouse (especially the one where George Morris was working that night)? Thanks!
                Jeff

Comment

Can you give me a pointer by way of a mark(s) on the sketch as to which entrances?

thanks

Comment

I think this also shows that definitely the light/lamp at church passage would have hindered seeing what was in the darkness behind it (beyond the range of its beam), if you were looking into mitre square from the start of the passage

Comment

Nice work Richard. If possible, I'd like to see it at night with gas lamps aglow.

I notice on Forster's original drawing it says "for further details see Plan 2"....

Is Plan 2 available to view anywhere?

Comment

Another thing I've always wondered about....
                        The drawings show Mitre Square as empty, but it was surrounded by warehouses - would there have been any wagons or carts parked there overnight? Maybe like the cars in the 1925 photo, which may have blocked the view of the murder scene from Church Passage.

Comment

Okay, I've posted a night-time version of the model with the three gas lamps lighting the scene. It's VERY dark!
                          View it in full screen for best render.

Also, anyone tried it in VR yet?

let me know if this looks okay and if it needs altering etc.

P.S. This is not an exact/scientific/accurate model of the lighting conditions. It's just to demonstrate which areas of the square might be illuminated and which might be darkest. Seems that ripper corner is pretty much blacked-out!

thanks
                          Mitre Square in London&#8217;s Whitechapel was the site of the murder of Catherine Eddowes by &#8220;Jack the Ripper&#8221;. Her mutilated body was found there at 1:45 in the morning on 30 September 1888. This version is depicting the lighting conditions at night. Click here for the same model in daylight It&rsquo;s a dark model, but that&rsquo;s the point. The conditions would have been pretty much pitch black without the three gas lamps in the square. It&rsquo;s NOT a scientifically accurate model but it&rsquo;s designed to provide an idea of where the darkest areas of the square would be. Interestingly, ripper corner would be the very darkest point in the square! This model is based directly off Frederick Foster&#8217;s scale drawing of the Square: - Mitre Square At Night - 3D model by Huuxloc (@rjh41)

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                          Nice work Richard. If possible, I'd like to see it at night with gas lamps aglow.

I notice on Forster's original drawing it says "for further details see Plan 2"....

Is Plan 2 available to view anywhere?

Comment

Wonderful renderings Richard, I am astonished at how good you are at this modeling.

Thanks for the help your images provide.
                            Michael Richards

Comment

Fantastic, very atmospheric. Although I'd hate to be the one Dr Sequeira was operating on if that is his idea of adequate lighting!

Comment

Working...
                              X