No announcement yet.

The Suckered! Plus Quadrilogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To say nothing of failing to be awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award.

Comment

It's tetralogy or quartet. "Quadrilogy" is a marketing term, popularized by an Alien series box set.
      Last edited by Shaggyrand; 09-26-2015, 04:39 PM.
      I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Hi Shaggyrand,

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Sorry. I know many who've used it enough that its become a pet annoyance. Didn't see the other posts about it until after I saw that title, had a strange eye twitch and hit "reply" to first post. Was compelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
            It's tetralogy or quartet. "Quadrilogy" is a marketing term, popularised by an Alien series box set....
            Hello Shaggyrand,

☺ Thank you. ☺

Phil
            Last edited by Phil Carter; 09-26-2015, 10:46 PM.
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
            Accountability? ....

Comment

"Quadrilogy" is a marketing term
              Except that it isn't.

The Oxford Dictionary gives its origin as mid-nineteenth century and indeed we find the following nineteenth century examples of its use:

Lancaster Gazette, 18 March 1865:

Refers to ‘quadrilogy of Nibelungen operas’.

The Athenaeum: Journal of Literature, Science and the Fine Arts, 12 January 1867:

'Wagner’s idea of a quadrilogy of operas is not so new as some have dreamed it.'

All The Year Round, ed Charles Dickens Junior, 1879:

'The last acting edition in the original language is that of Muller, and makes a trilogy, or rather quadrilogy, of Goethe’s great poem.'

New Shakespeare Society’s Transactions 1880-1886:

'Had Shakespeare taken up this subject at a late instead of an early period, he would have done his best work in this quadrilogy.'

Library of the World’s Best Literature, Ancient and Modern by The International Society, 1896:

'The revolutionary quadrilogy beginning with ‘The Partisan’ (1835) and ending with ‘Katherine Walton’ (1851), including also ‘Mellichampe’ and ‘The Kinsman.' 

The people who marketed the Alien series box set simply, and naturally, used an existing English word.

There's nothing wrong being pedantic but one needs to get one's facts right otherwise it rebounds.

Comment

Now I'm curious about this terminology matter. What comes next - a quintanology or a quintet?

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                  Except that it isn't.

The Oxford Dictionary gives its origin as mid-nineteenth century and indeed we find the following nineteenth century examples of its use:

Lancaster Gazette, 18 March 1865:

Refers to ‘quadrilogy of Nibelungen operas’.

The Athenaeum: Journal of Literature, Science and the Fine Arts, 12 January 1867:

'Wagner’s idea of a quadrilogy of operas is not so new as some have dreamed it.'

All The Year Round, ed Charles Dickens Junior, 1879:

'The last acting edition in the original language is that of Muller, and makes a trilogy, or rather quadrilogy, of Goethe’s great poem.'

New Shakespeare Society’s Transactions 1880-1886:

'Had Shakespeare taken up this subject at a late instead of an early period, he would have done his best work in this quadrilogy.'

Library of the World’s Best Literature, Ancient and Modern by The International Society, 1896:

'The revolutionary quadrilogy beginning with ‘The Partisan’ (1835) and ending with ‘Katherine Walton’ (1851), including also ‘Mellichampe’ and ‘The Kinsman.' 

The people who marketed the Alien series box set simply, and naturally, used an existing English word.

There's nothing wrong being pedantic but one needs to get one's facts right otherwise it rebounds.
                  Actually I was aware of its use back to the 1860s. Of course, that doesn't make it the correct term. Like "irregardless", it's used but its not correct. When I called it a marketing term I meant in modern usage as it only appears on box sets from a single company as far as most have ever seen. Not just Ailen but several from 20th Century Fox and outside of that its usage is nonexistent, most other places where it would be applicable use "quartet" instead. I feel that qualifies it for the label.

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                  Now I'm curious about this terminology matter. What comes next - a quintanology or a quintet?
                  If you want to use -olgy its Pentalogy, Hexalogy, Heptalogy, Octaloy, Ennealogy, Decology. Though quintet, ect, also works and would be better recognized.

Comment

Actually I was aware of its use back to the 1860s. Of course, that doesn't make it the correct term.
                    It's a perfectly correct term. It's in the Oxford English Dictionary:

'quadrilogy n. a literary or artistic work consisting of four parts; a series or group of four related works'.

Unless someone has put you in charge of the English language without telling us.

Comment

Actually I was aware of its use back to the 1860s. Of course, that doesn't make it the correct term. Like "irregardless", it's used but its not correct. When I called it a marketing term I meant in modern usage as it only appears on box sets from a single company as far as most have ever seen. Not just Ailen but several from 20th Century Fox and outside of that its usage is nonexistent, most other places where it would be applicable use "quartet" instead. I feel that qualifies it for the label.

If you want to use -olgy its Pentalogy, Hexalogy, Heptalogy, Octaloy, Ennealogy, Decology. Though quintet, ect, also works and would be better recognized.
                      Pentalogy, with "Pent" used like in "Pentatuch". Thank you for the explanation. Yes, I imagine quintet would be better recognized.

Comment

I've made a couple of changes/additions to the Quadrilogy.

In Part 2, I have now found the original recall instruction for Hoare to return to London in 1889. This was a memo by Lord Salisbury who said on 4 April 1889:

"I wish to confer with Mr Hoare the Consul at New York. Telegraph to him (in cypher) that I wish to see him on matter of public importance and request him to come over as soon as he can".

As a result of this, I have modified my suggestion that the recall instruction was at the request of Balfour at the Irish Office.

In Part 4, I now understand that Warren offered his resignation in March 1888 and have added a paragraph accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                          Pentalogy, with "Pent" used like in "Pentatuch". Thank you for the explanation. Yes, I imagine quintet would be better recognized.
                          Decalogy.

Comment

Working...
                          X