• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ep. #46- The Non-Canonical Victims: Part One

Thread for discussion of Rippercast

Episode 46: The Non-Canonical Victims: Part One

Available to stream, download or subscribe via iTunes for FREE here:

Featuring the voices of AP Wolf, John Bennett, Ally Ryder and Gareth Williams.

Thanks to all who participated in this episode and...

Thanks for listening!

JM

Hi all,
    Another interesting podcast, thank you. I wish I could have joined in, I would have loved to have been on next week but as some already know I'm expecting a very important delivery from the stork in the next couple of days and due to some serious complications my little bundle is going to need all my time over the next few months.

Anyway, I just wanted to address a couple of points raised, especially about the Emma smith abortion theory.
    When I originally did the torso podcast I used the case of Emma Smith only as an illustration as of the types of injuries that were inflicted upon women undergoing abortion in this period and how they would have died in agony after the event as there seemed to be (and still is i think) an impression that death by illegal abortion was somehow 'clinical, instant, medical and clean' for want of a better expression. I know AP like me has read up on many abortion gone wrong cases of the time and some of them were horrific, in one particular case, a woman's actual intestines were ripped out in the process of undergoing this procedure.
    For the record I do not view Emma Smith's death as a botched abortion, but I do now view Elizabeth Jackson's death as abortion related.Personally I am inclined to believe the gang theory in relation to Emma smith.

I just wanted also to draw attention to this old thread and the case of Emily Horsnail and 'some men she didn't know,' taken with the Margaret Haymes story it got me thinking that something gang related may have been happening in the George Street area, too far above a coincidence for me.

Also at the end of that thread I mentioned a piece fom October's Pall Mall Gazette, where the author of the piece names both Emma smith and mentions a previous victim assaulted with an iron stake, and is adamant that the other papers have got their wires crossed and are confusing two very different victims....I'm not saying they are correct but just maybe they knew something that has been lost to us?

Debs

Comment

I also wanted to answer a good point brought up by Ally, and to some extent answer Sam's thoughts on peritonitis caused by abortion.
      Peritonitis was very much a cause of death brought on by botched abortion, if I had the time I'm sure I could bring up many instances of acute peritonitis and severe inflammation of the abdominal cavity as a cause of death and brought about by abortionist methods, one of the Mary Jane Rees cases that have been mentioned a few times on casebook being an offhand vague rememberance of one such case....don't quote me on that though.
      I did read a parliamentary report of the LVP or possibly later that suggested that in cases were internal injury and peritonitis were a factor in a woman's death in hospital, that it would be wise to investigate fully the possibilty of an illegal operation having been performed upon her, suggesting that it wasn't necessarily routinely done or that any cause was looked for at all.

Comment

Bloody hell, Debs, you kept quiet about that, didn't you? Well, congratulations, and try to let us know once the happy event has taken place.

PS Does this mean you won't be making doughnuts for a while?

Comment

Oh please Debs, a woman in the LVP would work all day in the fields, pop that sucker out, sling it on her back and go back to work. You know, if she didn't die of infection or complications or something...like that's an excuse to not come on the podcast!

No but seriously, congratulations and hope it all goes smoothly and quickly with really fabulous drugs.

Thanks for elaborating on the topics brought up.

Let all Oz be agreed;
          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Origin of Illustration?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me the origin of the illustration used for Rippercast #46?

I'd love to know if it's from a newspaper or a book, and hopefully its date. Thanks.

Best Wishes to Deb and the little one!
            Archaic

Comment

all the best Debs, with your new venture... I release a thousand buddhas to watch over you.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me the origin of the illustration used for Rippercast #46?

I'd love to know if it's from a newspaper or a book, and hopefully its date. Thanks.

Archaic
                It's from 'The Illustrated Police News' 7 April 1888.

Rob

Comment

Thanks for answering my peritonitis question, Debs - and congratulations!
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Thanks, Rob!

- Wow, it's like asking a genie I get my answer so fast!

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                      Thanks, Rob!

- Wow, it's like asking a genie I get my answer so fast!

Best regards, Archaic
                      And you don't have to rub me to get an answer

Rob

Comment

But he wouldn't say no if you offered...

Let all Oz be agreed;
                        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

I have trouble saying no....

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                            And you don't have to rub me to get an answer

Rob
                            Wow, did I walk right into that one... how embarrassing.

Anonymous

Comment

I take it Archaic is female then Rob ??

Comment

Working...
                              X