Casebook Examiner #7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casebook Examiner #7

Just finished Tom Wescott's Rogues Gallery. Excellent! I'm now on Jonathan Hainsworth's The Honorable Schoolboy. Lovin' it.

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

CE7 is out? Hmm. I don't seem to have received mine yet. Although, I can't complain. Just in the last week or so I've finished the latest Rip and Whitechapel Society Journal. For a relatively small community, I'm always amazed at the quantity and quality of the writing produced.

Comment

If you have not received your issue of the Examiner, please email examiner @ casebook.org. We received several "bounce-backs" and undeliverable returns and yours may be one of them.

We will be happy to send you another issue.

Comment

Fido's 'True Crime' book review by Tom Wescott

Tom writes:

"might have some American readers scratching their heads is the fact that the book has clearly been written for an English audience"

This is probably because this title, and a new one seems to come out every year or so, is really an updated, American version of Fido's 1993 UK imprintThe Chronicle of Crime. He said to me that Barnes and Noble bought the rights to the book and has someone other than Fido updating it. According to Fido, he has nothing to do with the book True Crime, nor does he make much if any money off of it, and is as surprised as anyone else when he sees a new edition on the shelves.

Still, its a good book if you cannot get your hands on The Chronicle of Crime. I was able to find Carlton Books Ltd's 2000 paperback (336 pages) for $8.50 at a local used book store, so they are out there.

JM

Comment

The Rogues Gallery article is very clearly an old piece, containing some interesting thoughts (thoughts already familiar to anyone having perused the various Stride threads), but no new information. I'm more interested in reading the upcoming article on Albert Bachert on Berner Street in Examiner 8.
          I have to confess that the first piece I jumped on to read was Tom Wescott's interview of Rob House and his book on Kozminski (which will be available next month).
          Now that Examiner has so generously become a free 'zine, I feel it's even more morally required to contribute to casebook with donations. Especially for myself as a newbie, I feel like I'm taking advantage of the people here, absorbing knowledge in a totally parasitic manner!
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

kudos

Hello All. Kudos to everyone regarding the new CE. All good, but Professor Hainsworth is always a great read.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by Casebook Examiner View Post
              If you have not received your issue of the Examiner, please email examiner @ casebook.org. We received several "bounce-backs" and undeliverable returns and yours may be one of them.

I also appear to be one of those, could you please send me the issue to allthatyouvedone@mail.com - it is perhaps partly my own fault as I have changed email accounts since issue 6, although I did make sure to update it since. If you would be kind enough to resend it to that address it would be appreciated.

Comment

Everyone who has requested a resend of the issue should have one now. If you still have not received your issue, please email at examiner @ casebook.org and let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
                  Just finished Tom Wescott's Rogues Gallery. Excellent! I'm now on Jonathan Hainsworth's The Honorable Schoolboy. Lovin' it.
                  I'm looking forward to reading Tom's Berner Street article but as yet have only read Jonathan's gracefully written and tightly argued McNaghten/Druitt piece that entranced me so much that I had to return to the beginning to enjoy reading it again.
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Casebook Examiner View Post

I received mine with no problem, and it looks good! Thanks Examiner folks!
                    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Received mine too, so thanks, but I can't read it yet. My wife and I are out of town at a family "do". (I've borrowed a laptop to see what's going on.) Rest assured, I'll be all over the new issue as soon as we get home.

Comment

Originally posted by mariab
                        The Rogues Gallery article is very clearly an old piece, containing some interesting thoughts (thoughts already familiar to anyone having perused the various Stride threads), but no new information. I'm more interested in reading the upcoming article on Albert Bachert on Berner Street in Examiner 8.
                        My Bachert In Berner Street will be more of the same of what you've come to expect from Tom Wescott - an old piece with no new information!

JM,

Thanks for that info. That makes me feel a lot better about Fido! If you don't mind, I'll share this info with CE for publication in the next issue.

Mike,

Thanks!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                        Last edited by Tom_Wescott; 04-19-2011, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Jonathan Hainsworth

I'm proud to admit I'm a Hainsworth fan. Anytime I see his name on the byline I know I'm going to be treated to new perspectives and fresh ideas. He's possibly the only writer on the scene right now who I feel is operating at a level above my own, and because of that I have to work to keep up with what he's arguing, and even then still don't get it right away. But like Stephen, I can enjoy going back and re-reading him. My old and stale material aside, I think Examiner has enjoyed the best 'first year' of any Ripper journal ever. And I don't think I'm taking anything away from the other journals by saying that. Of course, it's also the first Ripper journal that was conceived as an e-journal.

I hope others will join me in ignoring the drama and gossip. Who cares about the 'behind the scenes' when the end result is as good as it has been these past 7 issues.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                            My Bachert In Berner Street will be more of the same of what you've come to expect from Tom Wescott - an old piece with no new information!
                            I pretty much expected to get your full attention with this, Tom. ;-) Jokes apart, I very much enjoyed your article. It's just that I was already very familiar with the ideas and thoughts in it, from having followed up the discussions/threads on Berner Street. You can see it as a positive development, as in your thoughts having had an impact on the newbies. (And after a while the newbies cease to be impressed. Just kidding.)
                            The Albert Bachert article I'm sure will contain new information, and I honestly can't wait to read it. I'm especially interested in how you've interpreted the ‘coincidence‘ (?) of Bachert describing the exact same suspect as Packer, having allegedly met that suspect in The three nuns. (And I have my suspicions.)
                            Also apologies for the delayed response to your email, but I was out cold and just woke up, as it's just dawning on the hills here at the Bavarian Alps.

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                            He {Martin Fido} said to me that Barnes and Noble bought the rights to the book and has someone other than Fido updating it. According to Fido, he has nothing to do with the book True Crime, nor does he make much if any money off of it, and is as surprised as anyone else when he sees a new edition on the shelves.
                            Wow! In my line of work there's been a nasty lawsuit over such a matter (albeit there was also a misleading, changed book title involved in the edition “update“), which ended up in a prestigious German Press folding, after having lost the lawsuit.
                            Best regards,
                            Maria

Comment

Originally posted by mariab
                              I'm especially interested in how you've interpreted the ‘coincidence‘ (?) of Bachert describing the exact same suspect as Packer, having allegedly met that suspect in The three nuns.
                              Packer and Bachert didn't describe the same man. Bachert essentially described Mortimer's man (who only later turned out to be Leon Goldstein). And no, Le Grand doesn't play a part. I had my suspicions at one time, but so as of yet I've found nothing to suggest that Bachert and Le Grand knew each other.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                              X