The murder of Lily Pease - Spitalfields 1913

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The murder of Lily Pease - Spitalfields 1913

I don't remember seeing details of this case before. It interested me on three counts:
    1) the location
    2) the anonymous letter and
    3) the extraordinary outcome - the judge did not approve of the verdict of the jury and refused to accept it and discharged them

If I can find any more details about this case I'll post them here
    Chris

The Times
    14 January 1913

THE SPITALFIELDS MURDER CHARGE
    JURY DISCHARGED

At the Central Criminal Court yesterday, before Mr. Justice Darling, Isaac Parkes, 42, labourer, pleaded "Not guilty" to an indictment and coroner's inquisition charging him with the murder of Lily Pease.
    Mr Travers Humphreys and Mr Adrian Clark prosecuted for the Director of Public Prosecutions; Mr St. John Hutchinson defended.
    The case of the prosecution was that on the night of December 16 the woman and the prisoner went to some premises in White's Row, Spitalfields, where the prisoner took a room. About half past 1 o'clock the next morning the prisoner was trying to sell a fur necklet, which was identified as the property of the woman. Early the same morning on the steps of the Commercial Street police station a police constable found an envelope addressed to the superintendent of police, which ran as follows:-
    "Sunday.
    Dear Sir - I want you to send one of your officers to White's Row. There up in a top room you will find the body of a woman. I strangled her in the early part of this morning. This is the second woman I have done in. After this I will tell you more about it when you catch me.
    Yours truly, I.P.O.W.
    I am starting on the road to W.W."
    The prosecution suggested that the first two letters were the prisoner's initials, and that the "O.W." might mean Olbury, Worcestershire, of which place the prisoner said he was a native. The woman's body was afterwards found in the room, her death having been caused by strangulation. On December 18 the prisoner, while at the casual ward of the West Ham Workhouse, told an official that he was the man they wanted for strangling the woman. He then made a number of statements to the effect that the woman and he had several drinks; he went to sleep, and on waking missed his money; he asked the woman where it was, and she replied that she had not got it. He said, "If you don't turn it up I will strangle you," and seized her with both hands and strangled her on the bed. Later the prisoner said, "I gave myself up to get another man out of prison."
    The prisoner, giving evidence in his defence, repeated the statements that he had made as to missing his money, and said that when he caught the woman by the throat he did not mean to kill her. He wanted to get his money back. He had had a good deal of drink.
    Mr Justice Darling - Did you take that fur thing and try to sell it?
    The prisoner - No, my Lord. I know nothing about it.
    Mr Hutchinson, for the defence, urged that the prisoner had no intention of murdering the woman or doing her any harm, but that he merely caught hold of her to frighten her into telling him where his money - his week's earnings - was. The medical evidence was that the woman had pneumonia, and therefore was more easily strangled than if she had been in good health.
    Mr Justice Darling in summing up explained to the jury in detail the law applicable to the case.
    The jury, after half an hour's deliberation in private, returned, and the foreman announced that their verdict was "Guilty of causing the death of the woman, but without wilful intention."
    Mr Justice Darling (to the foreman) - That is no verdict at all, sir. I am afraid I shall have to sum this case up again from the beginning. Are you an Englishman?
    The foreman - No; but I am here 26 years. That is the unanimous verdict of the jury.
    Mr Justice darling - I have summed up the case and explained the law as plainly as I can. It is perfectly plain that the jury have not understood me, and I discharge you from giving a verdict. The case will stand over until next Sessions.

This is very odd. I have checked the article above which I transcribed and the date of the murder as given by the prosecution, December 16 1912, is as printed in the article. However this must be an error, as I found the article below in the Times of 21 November 1912. I can only assume that the murder happened in November and nor December of 1912
    Attached Files

Comment

The brief report below is from The Times 20 November 1912
      Attached Files

Comment

This is the closest match in 1901 census:
        District Union Workhouse, Kingswinford, Staffordshire
        "The undermentioned are Casual Paupers:"
        The list includes:
        Isaac Parkes aged 29 born Dudley, Worcestershire - Blacksmith's striker
        In 1901 census there are 3 women of the name Lily Pease listed who would have been the following ages in 1912:
        1) Born Leeds, aged 35
        2) Born Leeds, aged 26
        3) Born Norfolk, aged 18

Comment

Old Bailey Proceedings, 4th February 1913.

Reference Number: t19130204-15

PARKES, Isaac (42, labourer), was indicted for the wilful murder of Lily Pease; he was also charged on coroner's inquisition with the like offence, deceased being described as Lilian Rose Caroline Pease.

Prisoner was tried at last Session (see page 276), when the jury returned a verdict which was not accepted by the learned judge.

Prisoner now pleaded "guilty of killing the woman, but with no intention."Mr. Justice Ridley directed this to be entered as a verdict of Guilty of manslaughter.

Mr. Muir and Mr. Travers Humphreys prosecuted; Mr. St. John Hutchinson appeared for prisoner.

Sentence: Fourteen years' penal servitude.

Source:
          Regards Mike

Comment

Many thanks for that Mike
            I wondered what had finally happened
            I do not know the legal position (especially in 1913!) but I thought a judge could only dismiss a jury if they failed to reached a verdict, not if they reached a verdict he did not agree with!
            Chris

Comment

OK, maybe criminal procedure is not my long suit but, as I understand it, the jury should have come back with one of three verdicts: guilty, not guilty, or guilty of a lesser included offence (e.g., manslaughter). When they came back with "guilty of killing the woman, but with no intention", this was a verdict unknown to the law and Justice Darling decided to treat it as "perverse", i.e., a verdict so contrary to the evidence that it justifies the granting of a new trial. Justice Darling may have felt uncomfortable about changing the jury's verdict to manslaughter. However, when Parkes entered the same plea at the next sessions, the new judge (Ridley) had no problem in changing it to the legally-recognized one of guilty of manslaughter.

Comment

many thanks for that GM
                That makes a lot of sense
                Chris

Comment

Working...
                X