This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
    Sounds intriguing! Let me know how I can be of assistance....

Andrew
    Will do Andrew. Just had a thought - anyone up for a fundraising Ripperology quiz night on Friday 24th (Sep)?

Comment

Yay! I will be crap but I'm good for an entry fee and a beer
      best,

claire

Comment

I'll be around the night before the conference, so I'm up for that!

Andrew

Comment

Hi Trevor,

I think this is a nice idea and I will also donate something to it... just keep me posted, or add me to your list or whatever.

Rob H

Comment

Originally posted by robhouse View Post
            Hi Trevor,

I think this is a nice idea and I will also donate something to it... just keep me posted, or add me to your list or whatever.

Rob H
            Cheers Rob! Consider yourself 'on the list' - as well as it appearing on here, you will all receive private messages informing you of the PayPal address as soon as it is all systems go. You are all fantastic.

Good to see some interest in the Friday night event too - may just have to get my arse in gear with it now! Already have 3 potential venues I will be sounding out come Monday, for those who know the area and its pubs (Andrew ) they are the Shooting Star, Middlesex St; the Railway Tavern, off Bishopsgate; and The Old Tea Warehouse, Creechurch Lane. All within spitting distance of some pretty notorious locations and all with free function room hire. If it happens, rounds will include 'guess who', 'name that suspect book' and, with Suzi's help, 'where's Diddles?' All finished off with a round of karaoke. Maybe.

edit - for all those who are interested in such things, I have now created a Facebook group for the appeal. The link below should work, but if not then simply go to Facebook and search for 'Frances Coles Memorial Appeal 2011'. See some of you there.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
            Last edited by tnb; 07-10-2010, 09:52 PM.

Comment

PayPal Address!

Stardate 21st July 2010, Captain's Log...

I am extremely pleased to be able to announce the PayPal address for the Frances Coles Memorial Appeal 2011 is: frances-coles-2011@all-that-youve-done.com There is still some admin to be dealt with, but as of today we CAN begin accepting donations. So for those of you eager to do your good deed for the year as soon as possible, you may now do so. Many, many thanks in advance.

Full 'launch' to come soon including estimates etc - although for the time being we are working on a rough estimate of £250 for the memorial, cemetery fees etc, and if we could raise the same again (ie £500 total) to give to a Bermondsey based charity in Frances' name, that would be stunning. Also look out for an announcement on a very special event that may be happening the evening before the UK conference.

I've said it before, but I am humbled by the amount of support this has already seen.

Trevor.

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post
                Good to see some interest in the Friday night event too - may just have to get my arse in gear with it now! Already have 3 potential venues I will be sounding out come Monday, for those who know the area and its pubs (Andrew ) they are the Shooting Star, Middlesex St; the Railway Tavern, off Bishopsgate; and The Old Tea Warehouse, Creechurch Lane. All within spitting distance of some pretty notorious locations and all with free function room hire. If it happens, rounds will include 'guess who', 'name that suspect book' and, with Suzi's help, 'where's Diddles?' All finished off with a round of karaoke. Maybe.
                Just a thought, but as this is would be a fundraising event for Frances Coles Memorial, how about The Bell on Middlesex street as a venue?

Quite apt, I would have thought!

All the best
                Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew,

I have emailed the Bell to ask about the possibility, and am pushing the charitable and 'think of the publicity for the history of your pub' angle (seeing as they specifically state the pub is in 'Jack the Ripper territory' there may be some mileage in it) but at the minute their policy is to charge for venue hire. Obviously that would kind of defeat the object of raising funds. The other pubs I mentioned don't charge or have any minimum spend, so unless the Bell come back and offer to waive the charge, I am afraid it may be out. Wouldn't be anything wrong with popping over there for a drink before or after, mind you, especially if we were holding the actual event in the Shooting Star for example.

From the sounds of Coles and Sadler's drunken wanderings there is probably a reasonable chance that they would have dropped into any pub in the area that was standing in 1891!

Comment

Hello Trevor,

Thanks for the PayPal info. "Done and sorted".
                    Like others, I think this is a superb idea. The community of Ripperology and its reputation will only benefit from this all round.
                    Kudos to you Trevor. A little here and a little there from as many as possible should help us reach the goal, which I don't think is too ambitious either.
                    Perhaps a weekly update as we go?

best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Trevor,

Personally I think your idea, though not unworthy of praise, is misguided.

Rather than a memorial plaque to a dead woman whom 99.99% of the UK population have never heard of, and have no particular interest in, the effort and money raised would be much better spent in funding a women's refuge, a living memorial to hopefully ensure that Francis Coles' fate never befell any woman in the future.

And would it be too much to ask that an agreed percentage of the take on all Ripper walks was similarly donated on a regular basis?

Let me know. My wallet could be at your disposal.

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Simon,

Fair points all. I have, as it happens, addressed similar reservations from another (also well respected) researcher recently on JTRforums, by which I do not mean to belittle your points but rather to say that I do recognise that these are both valid and also (in a good way) quite common. Are you a member on JTRforums? I am not going to go cutting and pasting from posts by and/or directed to another person, but you may find it interesting if you are able to pop over and see some of my reasoning laid out there.

One of the major sticking points for this particular poster and it seems for yourself too (please do correct me if I am wrong) is one of scale. May I make two points to try to address that: 1) we are aiming to mark Frances Coles' grave, not to memorialise her over anyone else, and not to go pursuing any particularly grand aims - simply put we are looking at placing a plaque, not to build a house; and 2), which I feel is closer to your stated reservations , the visibility of this project will be limited to a pretty select group. I would never dream of asking any of the 99.99% of the population who have never heard of Coles to donate, the appeal is by its very nature limited largely to the 0.01% who have. That's us!

Any money we do raise over and above the cost of the memorial, which I personally do believe should be the starting point, is already committed to be donated to a relevant larger charity or project in the Bermondsey area. What, who and to an extent where is still up for discussion, and will be until such time as the final presentation is made. I agree that a women's refuge would be an excellent candidate. Was it not for my commitment to it being in the Bermondsey area (as I feel it more appropriate to focus on the area in which Frances lived most of her life) the homeless shelter in Wentworth Street has already been considered, for example. But quite frankly, if anyone wants to donate to starting an entirely new shelter, refuge or whatever, then they would be better off giving their money directly to such a project. I do not think that this appeal is going to be big enough, or widely enough advertised, to divert any monies from such projects. I hope not.

As far as Ripper tours, and you could include books, documentaries etc in there too, that is an excellent idea, but again one beyond the scope of what I am trying to achive here. If any individuals decided to donate a proportion of any profits of their own endeavours, that would be fantastic but entirely their own choice. I spoke to a member a few months back now who was looking to set up just such a foundation which would do good works supported by a rolling contribution from 'Ripper' related sales- should that ever come off I would unhesitatingly support it, but it is beyond my aims or - to be perfectly honest - my adminstrative capabilities. Plus, it is already someone else's idea.

Hope that addresses some of your reservations Simon - please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it further, which I would honestly welcome.

Phil- a huge thankyou to our first donor!

Andrew - I have just had an email back from the Bell, who seem interested. I will be meeting with the manager sometime week after next to have a proper talk about it all. We could be on after all!

Anyone else around that week who might fancy a drink and a chat while I'm in the area, or even to put their input into the meeting?

Comment

Simon,

I don't know about Ripper walks and other ventures, but in April, with our initial issue of Casebook Examiner, we pledged to donate annually our net income to a suitable charity. This is, I think, a first in the field.

Don Souden
                          Editor - Examiner.
                          "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Hi Don,

Well done.

You and Examiner have set an excellent precedent for others to follow.

Regards,

Simon
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                              Hi Don,

Well done.

You and Examiner have set an excellent precedent for others to follow.

Regards,

Simon
                              I second that Simon - a very noble action, for which much credit should go to Don, Jenni and co. Top stuff.

Comment

Hello Don,

An admirable precendent indeed. Well done!

best wishes

Phil
                                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                                Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                                X