Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partially dressed like Mary Kelly

Bounjour en tołti,
    I was a little bit disapointed to find no threads on Ada Wilson. As to me, Sugden's reasons to dismiss her are far from absolutely unfair, yet Ada's case seems of interest.
    First, from Rose Bierman's testimony, we can be pretty sure that the offender was a client Ada took home with her, or to whom she fixed appointment home.
    Second, after being stabbed, Ada rushed out, and she was "partially" dressed, as Bierman said, which was not the case of the man, who escaped with his coat and his (wideawake) hat.
    For the sake of discission, let's assume this man to be JTR: a possible view will be that his failure on march 28 caused him to change his MO from victim's home to the streets.
    Later on, when Whitechapel's streets became too hot for him, or just becauwse he had the opportunity to do so, Jack went back indoors, but this time, as a mature killer, he let no chance to MJK, who, like Ada, seems to have undress willingly before she was killed.
    Unfortunately, I don't know where Annie Millwood was attacked. Was it indoors on in the streets?
    Thanks to everybody here, and sorry for my broken english.
    David (aka Fu Manchu)

Seems a very reasonable hypothesis to me, DVV.

Welcome to Casebook!

Best regards,
    Ben

Comment

Pleasure of thinking between two murders

Hi Ben,
      and thanks again for the welcome.
      The so-called pre-ripper or ante-canonical victims cases are really fascinating, because more than for a name, we try to follow a personnality - a concept that may, or may not, be reduced as a profile.
      And Sugden and Fido, with the discovery of Annie and Ada, gave us a lot, more than a new police document about Jack, I think, even if the circomstances are obscure (but indeed, Rose Bierman's testimony is of great interest).
      And so, if Ada is a JTR victim, the image of Jack as an opportunist's killer has to be challenged, at least in some respects.
      Does it not make one feels that Jack took time to think, and quite a lot, between two murders or attacks, before trying a alternative MO? In Ada's case, the throat is the target, and in Annie's, it's the legs and the "abdomen". That look's like two half of a future signature, starting from Martha Tabram.
      Yet, Jack stills an opportunist killer (as Dan Norder reminds on another thread), but only when in action. I mean, he could be far from being only guided by his morbid urges.
      And so (still assuming Ada's canonicity) he did not leave with a part of Nichols body because this was not decided before, or because the idea was not yet sure or clear enough in his mind. That would not be because of Cross, or whatever.
      Thanks everybody, and sorry for my broken english
      DVV (aka Fu Manchu)

Comment

Good evening Fu Manchu San,

Yes I understand your theory. In the early attacks the killer is building his evil resume.

No witness saw Polly Nichols with a man. What do you make of that?

Roy
        Sink the Bismark

Comment

On the notion of Jack being an opportunity killer, I think there is room for that discussion here. But I wouldnt narrow the scope to look at only opportunity as it applies to the circumstances of each particular evening.

In the Canon, there is a pattern that is only disrupted by there being no recorded Ripper attributed death from October 30th or 31st until Mary's murder...and that is the deaths all occur within the same 10 days of each month...(the framing courtesy of Stan Reid)...from the last of one, until the 9th of the next. 2 victims in August/Sept, 2 in Sept/Oct, and 1 in Oct/Nov. The murders were either on the day after, on or before, a weekend, many with a Holiday.

Im mentioning this for 2 reasons....one, I would look for that same pattern in non-attributed but similar deaths, and secondly, he may have lacked "opportunity" because he was gone from London during those down periods.

There was strong suggestions that we may be looking at a seaman of some kind....even Victoria Regina herself voiced that notion.

Best regards.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2008, 04:56 AM.

Comment

by the sea

Bounjour en tołti,
            I agree that Jack could be a sailor. That would explain why the police tried this unlikely identification of William G Grant in 1895, by Lawende.
            Of good reading too are the letters of ...(forgot the name, was it Larkins or something like that?) accusing Portuguese-syphilitic seamen (since, it is said, Portuguese are merciless about revenge!).
            About Nichols murder and the problem of opportunism, I don't understand very well what you mean, dear Roy. My suggestion was that he took no part of Nichols'body because he did not dare yet to do so, though he was certainly thinking about. This could explain why the Chapman's murder occured so quickly, as if Jack, one week long, had cursed himself for his lack of boldness. The time Chapman's was murdered, on early morning, show how decided to kill and mutilate he was on september 8.
            Thanks everybody,
            DVV (aka Fu Manchu)

Comment

Certainly the sailor Jack theory is quite plausible, and the police did make enquiries in and around the docks after the Stride murder, although Anderson dismissed the investigation and theories of Edward Larkins as the work of a 'troublsesome busybody'. Most recently the idea of a seaman was made by Trevor Marriott who named Carl Feigenbaum as Jack in his book. Although not entirely convincing in his identification he does include reports of similar killings and mutilations in Germany at the time of Jack, and in S.America and the Carribbean shortly after the killing of Kelly raisng the the possibility of a travelling Jack.

Comment

Yes, Larkins is a funny guy.
                Anderson too. Didn't he state that Rose Mylett died by natural causes?
                Great!

Comment

Map

Here's a map.

Stay at the top of the map and pan all the way right. Under the second red line down you will see Maidman. Where Mile End Road crosses the canal.

Roy
                  Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                    Thanks, Roy - I've been looking everywhere for that! None of the old maps I have show Maidman Street at all.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                    X