Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJA View Post
    British Museum Library.

Is that an assumption, a supposition, or a fact?

Comment

it's a fact jack - Google Search
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

In addition to appearing in the Bible, the spelling of the word "Jews" as "Juwes" pops up in English Literature too, such as in the famous 14th C. work 'Piers Ploughman'. 'Piers Ploughman' is considered to be one of the great works of early English Literature. It has been published and re-published for over 600 years, including in the 19th Century.

Comment

I surmise The Geneva Bible still used Juwes.

The word Jews, as spelled in the Geneva Bible, does not contain the letter u.

Comment

Which edition ?

Comment

How about "The Shoemaker's Holiday"?

Comment

In addition to appearing in the Bible, the spelling of the word "Jews" as "Juwes" pops up in English Literature too, such as in the famous 14th C. work 'Piers Ploughman'. 'Piers Ploughman' is considered to be one of the great works of early English Literature. It has been published and re-published for over 600 years, including in the 19th Century.

That is not true.

The word Jews appears as Jews in 3:302, 3:327, 5:238, 9:80, 9:85, 9:88, 10:35, 10:346, 11:120, 12:73, 12:78, 12:89, 12:91, 12:275, 13:210, 14:389, 14:500, 15:581, 15:594, 15:604, 15:606, 16:120, 167:128, 16:138, 16:147, 16:154, 167:162, 18:17, 18:27, 18:38, 18:41, 18:82, 18:92, 18:110, 18:257, 18:301, 19:10, 19:15, 19:31, 19:34, 19:44, 19:48, 19:139, 19:140, 19:154, 19:426.

The word Jew appears in 9:82, 10:128, 11:246, 12:42, 15:264.

The word Jewish appears in 1:67, 15:583.

There is not a single instance of Jews being spelled as Juwes.

Comment

Piers Ploughman I

Comment

I refer to # 67.

If you cannot dispute the information contained in it, including 46 references to the spelling of Jews as Jews in a work in which you claim the same word was spelled as Juwes, will you please have the courtesy to concede that you are mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post
                      I refer to # 67.

If you cannot dispute the information contained in it, including 46 references to the spelling of Jews as Jews in a work in which you claim the same word was spelled as Juwes, will you please have the courtesy to concede that you are mistaken.
                      If you had read the introduction in the link posted in #68,you would find that there were many differences in various printings.

My source,as quoted,is impeccable.

My preferences lay with quality rather than quantity.

Comment

If you had read the introduction in the link posted in #68,you would find that there were many differences in various printings.

My source,as quoted,is impeccable.

My preferences lay with quality rather than quantity.

Your source spells Jew as Jew and Jews as Jewe​s.

Where is the evidence that your source spells Jews as Juwes?

Comment

Simply put, the word "Juwe" and "Juwes" existed prior to the use of the word "Jew".

Ergo, the word "Juwes" existed as the term for those referred to in historical documentation as "Jews" long long ago...and surprising, during 1888 and even TODAY! It exists in the British Museum Library (just down the road from Whitechapel) and the Bodlian Library, Oxford (just up the road from Whitechapel), in fact, up and down, and in me Laydis Chamber.

Who would know of this term "Juwes", in 1888? I ASSUME scholars of the ilk of Warren, Anderson, and of course, the Chief Rabbi.
                          Hic Rhodus hic saltus!​

You have not provided a single quotation to back up what you claim.

Comment

You have not provided a single quotation from English literature to substantiate your assertion.

You have not provided a single quotation from Piers Ploughman that includes the word Juwes.

Comment

Apologies if this has been brought up before, but the French word for Jewish women [ plural ], is [ I believe ] , JUIVES. Which could have possibly been mistaken or written like it said JUWES , if the I was connected to the V .

Regards Darryl

Comment

Originally posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post
                                Apologies if this has been brought up before, but the French word for Jewish women [ plural ], is [ I believe ] , JUIVES. Which could have possibly been mistaken or written like it said JUWES , if the I was connected to the V .

Regards Darryl
                                i beleive that was Donstons theory.

Comment

Working...
                                X