Miller's court privy's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
    According to the late lamented Chris Scott, who provided the link below, on Feb 9th 1889 a Henry Hemslow, aged 40 of 11 Millers Court, a married porter, was admitted to the Whitechapel Infirmary. Cause: Debility. The poor fellow was released from there on 18th Feb.

Whether Henry and wife were residing at No. 11 the previous November however, is anybody's guess. The Court had a high turnover of clientele. The Hemslows were gone by the 1891 Census as a 19 year old rope makers assistant called Mary Griffin was living there alone then.

Sorry, but I've never read any info on who was at no. 9 Millers Court at the time of the Ripper murders.
    ^ The Hemslow I quoted in the above was in fact Henry Hanslope, a strange character,-- see the link!

Comment

Was this the thread, Gut?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
        Goad didn't start mapping the UK until 1885, I think. So I assume the date in the link address is just wrong, an error when it was originally posted.
        Yes, I posted completely the wrong link at first, see my correction post #11

The Goad map that covers Dorset Street was produced in 1890. It shows what must be the toilets at the North end of the court, but nothing at all outside no. 13, so this points to the toilets shown in the Kitty Ronan map (1909) being built between these two dates. So mid '90s seems reasonable.
        But the important thing is, they probably weren't there at the time of the MJK murder.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
          [ATTACH]17456[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17457[/ATTACH]

These are the maps I have
          That question mark across from Marys windows(other image) is the dustbin. Both the pump and dustbin occupied that alcove.
          Michael Richards

Comment

Many thanks everyone for the answers. It clarifies a lot of things.
            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
              Was this the thread, Gut?
              I think so yeah.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
              X