What is a 'linsey' dress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a 'linsey' dress?

I read that Mary kely was wearing a linsey dress. what exactly is one?

My dictionary says that linsey is "a coarse cloth made of linen and wool or cotton and wool".

Comment

Hi, this is actually my first post, though I've followed along on Casebook for a long time. The Grave Maurice is correct about the meaning of "Linsey". It was commonly called "Linsey-Woolsey" as it is a coarsely woven blend of the two, often home-spun and famous for being old-fashioned, cheap, warm, and, unfortunately, UGLY!

I think the pertinent point re: the noting of the fabric of Mary Kelly's dress is that any contemporary Victorian reader would have known immediately that she was quite poor simply by virtue of her low-class dress fabric. Linsey was so cheap and durable that 18th & 19th Century SLAVES were forced to wear it, and forever afterwards despised the coarse fabric as a symbol of their subjugation. (There are numerous mentions of this fact in both Literature & the historical record.)

To my mind, its mention in connection with Mary is especially glaring in light of the fact that she was a Prostitute, who would naturally wish to make herself as attractive as possible. And there would have been so many other higher quality, more attractive fabrics available in 1888 London, even 2nd or 3rd-hand in the large used clothing markets nearby… I suppose Mary had already sold off her nicer things, and perhaps relied on accessories like her shawl and her beautiful hair to hide her ugly "linsey" dress, poor girl.

Comment

Good first post!

Welcome to the board Archaic. A very good post for your first! Many of us enjoy learning about the Victorian period as much if not more than the actual Ripper murders. And your post is very informative.
        Jeff

Comment

Thanks, Pinkerton; I appreciate that ...Does that mean you guys won't eat me alive if I post again? I'm heartened!

Seriously, I love History & especially love learning the obscure little facts that put historical events back into their contemporary context. Thanks for your encouragement.

Comment

Here's a link to a site selling traditional fabrics for re-enactment and such. They have some good pictures. Note that the 100% wools on the same page are much prettier.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post
              Here's a link to a site selling traditional fabrics for re-enactment and such. They have some good pictures. Note that the 100% wools on the same page are much prettier.
              A valid point One of Kelly's station might also have worn what I believe was called "Bangalore Silk" which was a cheap cotton-wool blend that had a sheen similar to real silk.
              Last edited by YankeeSergeant; 01-30-2011, 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling/clarification
              Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Working...
              X