Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: What was occuring in 1888? - by MrBarnett 37 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by MrBarnett 46 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by MrBarnett 1 hour and 8 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by drstrange169 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: What was occuring in 1888? - by DJA 10 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys Inquest - by Joshua Rogan 11 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - (20 posts)
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (9 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (8 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: What was occuring in 1888? - (7 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (4 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys Inquest - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Sickert, Walter

Old 08-03-2011, 03:57 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

I didn't understand the point of this thread three years ago when it started, and I don't understand it any better now. Could someone please tell me, as simply as possible, what the heck you are trying to establish?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:41 AM
Sergeant

Hello, Maurice,

The OP stated that the painting "Mrs. Barrett" is said to depict a window into Mary Kelly's apartment. Thus, the discussion appears to have developed as an exploration of the Ripper-esque images in Sickert's "Mrs. Barret" series and other relevant paintings.

Which is pertinent, possibly, seeing as there are several authors who have accused Walter Sickert of being Jack the Ripper or complicit in the crime, and thus he is listed a suspect here, and thus, I suppose, there have sprung up threads regarding him and his art. I could be wrong.

Personally, I am participating in this thread because I do find Ripper-esque images in Sickert's paintings and, while I do not believe he was Jack the Ripper, I do think he may have enjoyed hinting that he had some sort of personal insight into the crime.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Detective

Hi Ausgirl.

Quote:
Personally, I am participating in this thread because I do find Ripper-esque images in Sickert's paintings and, while I do not believe he was Jack the Ripper, I do think he may have enjoyed hinting that he had some sort of personal insight into the crime.
You might, then, be interested in an artricle I wrote titled The Art Of Murder which can be found in the dissertation section here on the Casebook.

Wolf.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Sergeant

Wolf - I spent the earlier part of this evening reading your article, actually! But it's very late here in the antipodes, I will respond properly tomorrow. Just a short comment for now, though: thank you, I did enjoy it and learned a great deal.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Cadet

Question strange similarity

I might be tired, but...
the thing hanging on the right in the mirror is reminiscent of the thing hanging in the second of the MJK photo, the one taken from behind the bed, which is, well, no one knows what it is. There's a very good dissertation on the subject, in which its is discounted as being a ray of light. I've got to go now, but I'll get back as soon as I find the link for it.
The person in the mirror doesn't look peacefully sleeping at all to me, it looks as if her/his mouth is gaping, but perhaps now I'm reading too much.
What is that pink ribbon with a blob at the end?
Thanks for these reproductions, I'd never even noticed there was a mirror.
Mrs Magoo, I should have chosen as a nickname!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Cadet

Red face Found it

Hello Ausgirl,
the title of the dissertation is "room 13 millers court" by Simon Wood.
Just checking I hadn't imagined it.
Cheers,
Cat
Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 AM
Sergeant

cat, thanks so much for pointing me toward that. I intend to stare at both images (photograph and painting) for a while tonight, in light of it.

Wolf, here's a rather blathery response to your dissertation:

I just finished reading Cornwell’s book. It’s a pity she’s gone all Icke-esque, was my conclusion, since she appears to have done a great deal of research and legwork, and the parts of the book where I could stop, for a moment, imagining the woman in a tin foil hat were really very interesting.

I think, by the by, that “Lazarus” is eating stewed prunes, which have a variety of health benefits and very well may have been part of an invalid’s recovery diet. What I find interesting about this picture is the window in the background, and the suggestion of a hatted figure peering in. The poisoned grapes theory is utter rubbish, anyway, as is the entire Royal Conspiracy thing, and all this talk of gulls in this painting or that is equally imaginative. I think, if it’s at all true that Sickert said these things to the person purporting to be his son, then he was having a jolly lend of him.

The ‘gull’ in the wall-painting depicted in the sketchier version of Ennui, for example (the one with the unadorned table, etc), could equally be the illuminated quarter of a moon. In fact, if you follow the line of the ‘wings’ around, it makes a perfect circle.

The one recurrent article that I do find curious is the red handkerchief. The red kerchief, scarf or shawl appears in the majority of the Ripper crimes –somewhere- and Sickert did depict it quite regularly as a sole spot of colour in otherwise bleak paintings. I believe the red handkerchief or neckerchief was deeply symbolic to him of the Ripper himself, and Sickert’s wearing of it may have helped him enter the ‘mental space’ of the killer – I have already commented on how this may tie in to his experiences when aspiring to become an actor. I don’t think at this point that’s it’s anything more sinister than Sickert connecting the colour red as a common motif among the murders and employing it in his paintings to add to the general discomfiting, subconscious and at times overt, cues that he quite cleverly planted in them toward a desired effect that is, in my opinion, quite successful. As I have said, this is nothing unusual, many artists have employed the method of ‘hidden images’ and subliminal suggestion – the anamorphic skull in Holbein’s ‘The Embassadors’ comes to mind as an obvious example, and the Mona Lisa’s disparate hemispheres are part of what lends it its mystique. Da Vinci may have even hidden a musical score in The Last Supper…

But messing with people’s head in a painting does not a murderer make. It does give a notorious edge to the work which I think Sickert both aimed for and employed as a fantastic ‘F-you’ to the artistic conventions and the moral majority of his age (plus, I think he rather liked the idea of notoriety).

If Sickert did indeed read that French book with the photographs in, he'd have seen Mary's room at number 13, as Eddowes' facial injuries. If he'd been paying attention to the newspapers (and I think he had, intensely) then he'd have picked up the recurrence of the red kerchief and found a handy - and creepy - symbol to employ.

Still, examination of his paintings for little JTR-related 'easter eggs' is kind of fun, isn't it?

Last edited by Ausgirl : 08-04-2011 at 05:23 AM.