Arizona Cop Punches Woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Cop Punches Woman

There is a video out today of a Flagstaff, Arizona cop punching a woman in the face. You can find it here:

A police officer in northern Arizona has been placed on leave after a video showed him punching a woman in the face before arresting her.

Now, it seems this woman made the cardinal sin in dealing this wonderful representative of the police force (sword to "protect and serve"): she asked questions. he said he had a warrant and she asked for more information. See, more often than not you should never ask questions. If a cop says, "come with me", even if you have no idea why he wants you to go with him or where exactly he wants to take you, you should go, or there is a high probability you're going to get the $hit beaten out of you.

Now, I'm not foolish enough to think that this woman is a saint. I'm sure she was behaving poorly and was likely a handful. Alas, it seems that police are usually completely uninterested in using words to other than "get on the ground" to communicate (and then reigning blows down upon your skull if you don't instantly go prostrate). Shouldn't cops KNOW that they be dealing with, shall we say, "difficult" people? Shouldn't they be better trained to gain cooperation verbally when possible without, I don't know, punching women in the face, shooting people in the head, or choking people to death (all real, recent examples of stellar police performance).

I don't want to demonize all police, but it's getting harder not to in that there's almost daily examples of how bad they are at their jobs.

Anyway, many people are surprised to learn that I'm a 47 years old white guy, married with two kids, not so much as a speeding ticket (but plenty of experience dealing with police) in my lifetime.......and I'm not a fan of the police (mainly because I've seen them in action up close and personal). Anyway, I'm sure I'll catch hell over it here, as I do in most every other venue as I'm never shy about sharing my views. But, I never a miss a chance to vent about one of my (myriad) hot-button issues. So, that's what I just did.

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
    There is a video out today of a Flagstaff, Arizona cop punching a woman in the face. You can find it here:

A police officer in northern Arizona has been placed on leave after a video showed him punching a woman in the face before arresting her.

Now, it seems this woman made the cardinal sin in dealing this wonderful representative of the police force (sword to "protect and serve"): she asked questions. he said he had a warrant and she asked for more information. See, more often than not you should never ask questions. If a cop says, "come with me", even if you have no idea why he wants you to go with him or where exactly he wants to take you, you should go, or there is a high probability you're going to get the $hit beaten out of you.

Now, I'm not foolish enough to think that this woman is a saint. I'm sure she was behaving poorly and was likely a handful. Alas, it seems that police are usually completely uninterested in using words to other than "get on the ground" to communicate (and then reigning blows down upon your skull if you don't instantly go prostrate). Shouldn't cops KNOW that they be dealing with, shall we say, "difficult" people? Shouldn't they be better trained to gain cooperation verbally when possible without, I don't know, punching women in the face, shooting people in the head, or choking people to death (all real, recent examples of stellar police performance).

I don't want to demonize all police, but it's getting harder not to in that there's almost daily examples of how bad they are at their jobs.

Anyway, many people are surprised to learn that I'm a 47 years old white guy, married with two kids, not so much as a speeding ticket (but plenty of experience dealing with police) in my lifetime.......and I'm not a fan of the police (mainly because I've seen them in action up close and personal). Anyway, I'm sure I'll catch hell over it here, as I do in most every other venue as I'm never shy about sharing my views. But, I never a miss a chance to vent about one of my (myriad) hot-button issues. So, that's what I just did.
    Cops are a lot like wife's a necessary evil.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      Cops are a lot like wife's a necessary evil.
      Like wives, they don't have to be, nor should they be, evil.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Do you know if rogue American cops get suitably punished - fired or prosecuted or both - for assaulting unarmed members of the public? Or do the powers that be turn a blind eye, or even encourage it? Is the whole system of law and order corrupt, do you think, or are there genuine efforts to root out bad cops?

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

One of the worst cases of police brutality in recent memory is the death of Kelly Thomas. He was a schizophrenic homeless man who was loitering in the area one night. A local bar filed a false police report that he was vandalizing cars in order to get him out of the way. As the police intercepted Kelly, one of the officers antagonizes Kelly, threatening him "See these fists? They're about to **** you up.” An agitated Kelly tried to get up but before he knew it the cops beat him to the ground. Despite Kelly's constant pleas for help, his cries fell on deaf ears as several cops piled on top of him. Kelly was repeatedly beaten by officers and tasered no less than five times. As a result of the attack, he fell into a coma and was taken off life support five days later. Three of the cops involved were criminally charged with his death but all three were acquitted at trial.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
          Last edited by Harry D; 11-18-2016, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
            Hi Patrick,

Do you know if rogue American cops get suitably punished - fired or prosecuted or both - for assaulting unarmed members of the public? Or do the powers that be turn a blind eye, or even encourage it? Is the whole system of law and order corrupt, do you think, or are there genuine efforts to root out bad cops?

Love,

Caz
            X
            Hi, Caz. In my experience, more often than not, cops protect cops. Thus, there is usually an effort to either cover it up or to justify it. For every instance of cop punching a woman or roughing up (or shooting) a suspect, there are likely hundreds more that we never learn of, simply ignored, swept under the rug, the cost of doing business. Keep in mind, the only instances we learn about are those that are filmed by bystanders or recorded by police dash-cams or body cameras (rare as those are). In effect, if it wasn't caught on tape and obtained by the press, then it was good solid police-work and we are never hear otherwise.

Cops cover for cops who drink and drive (even those who manage to kill "civilians" in the process), drive 120 miles and hour to the hardware store, beat their wives, children, neighbors, and anyone bothering them at the local watering hole. They feel simply that the laws apply to 'us', not 'them'.

I don't think that the 'system' as a whole is entirely corrupt, although it certainly has it's flaws. In my view prosecutors aren't nearly as rigid in their dedication protecting cops come hell or high water (although some certainly are, though not at the risk of their own careers). I do feel that judges and juries tend to look favorably on police caught in the act.

In my opinion the issue is simple: People of exactly the wrong temperament and personality are drawn to the profession. They aren't weeded out. They aren't properly trained. Their behavior is condoned and tacitly encouraged by the institution itself because that behavior is common. It is NORMAL. It's expected. It's the old adage: Those who greatly desire power are the least suited to have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
              One of the worst cases of police brutality in recent memory is the death of Kelly Thomas. He was a schizophrenic homeless man who was loitering in the area one night. A local bar filed a false police report that he was vandalizing cars in order to get him out of the way. As the police intercepted Kelly, one of the officers antagonizes Kelly, threatening him "See these fists? They're about to **** you up.” An agitated Kelly tried to get up but before he knew it the cops beat him to the ground. Despite Kelly's constant pleas for help, his cries fell on deaf ears as several cops piled on top of him. Kelly was repeatedly beaten by officers and tasered no less than five times. As a result of the attack, he fell into a coma and was taken off life support five days later. Three of the cops involved were criminally charged with his death but all three were acquitted at trial.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              Perfect example of what I described in my post. I'm sure the police told us many times how the cops who killed Thomas were "protecting themselves" so that they could "go home to their families". I'm sure we were reminded how tough "the job" is and how these "heroes" were out there protecting us from "bad guys" who wished to prey upon our families, our kids. Of course, in this instance we're talking about a mentally ill homeless guy who was beaten to death by a gang of cops because he was loitering (i.e. hanging around in public for "no reason") but they don't want you focus on that. Focus on the heroes. Focus on how tough the job is. Focus on all the do for us. Jesus.....did I mention I hate cops?

Comment

You paint a bleak picture. I don't expect you get too many otherwise decent cops blowing the whistle on the worst ones either. One can only imagine the reception they'd get - from their superiors as well as their colleagues.

Love,

Caz
                X
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                X