Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Robert Paul Time Issues - by Fisherman 1 hour and 7 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Robert Paul Time Issues - by Fisherman 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: Do we believe Mrs. Fiddymont? - by Joshua Rogan 11 hours ago.
General Discussion: Double event in Buck's Row? - by Joshua Rogan 11 hours ago.
General Discussion: The Double Event - by Elamarna 12 hours ago.
General Discussion: The Double Event - by Fisherman 12 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Robert Paul Time Issues - (27 posts)
General Discussion: The Double Event - (3 posts)
General Discussion: Double event in Buck's Row? - (2 posts)
Witnesses: Do we believe Mrs. Fiddymont? - (1 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Pcdunn Pcdunn is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,274
Default

Very interesting thread.

Thank you for the mugshots, Mary Jane K. I've always enjoyed looking at old photographs, and these seem to offer a lot of interesting details about the women caught in them.

Would you say Kelly was different from the other victims listed as "canonical" because she was a professional prostitute instead of a casual one?
__________________
Pat D.
---------------
Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Mary_Jane_Kelly Mary_Jane_Kelly is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Very interesting thread.

Thank you for the mugshots, Mary Jane K. I've always enjoyed looking at old photographs, and these seem to offer a lot of interesting details about the women caught in them.
Yes they are very insightful, Im glad you found them interesting. Iv always thought it surprising this subject isnt discussed more, considering the fact that all these women worked as prostitutes. But when it is its discussed its usually misrepresented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Would you say Kelly was different from the other victims listed as "canonical" because she was a professional prostitute instead of a casual one?
She was in a totally different situation. The other victims were older, homeless and worked in the backstreets and side alleys alone, they were hardly 'successful' at streetwalking. Mary was different because she was young, attractive, dressed well and had her own place (I started another thread on whether millers court was a brothel as theres alot suggesting it might be). She wasnt some poor old wretch in some dark alley, she was a popular young prostitute working from a busy location. She wasnt the usual type he went for at all. Not to mention she was known to rob her clients, was supposed to be as tall as the average man and by the sounds of it could fight with the best of them so she wasnt what youd call especially vulnerable.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-11-2017, 09:27 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 6,713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Jane_Kelly View Post
Yes they are very insightful, Im glad you found them interesting. Iv always thought it surprising this subject isnt discussed more, considering the fact that all these women worked as prostitutes. But when it is its discussed its usually misrepresented.



She was in a totally different situation. The other victims were older, homeless and worked in the backstreets and side alleys alone, they were hardly 'successful' at streetwalking. Mary was different because she was young, attractive, dressed well and had her own place (I started another thread on whether millers court was a brothel as theres alot suggesting it might be). She wasnt some poor old wretch in some dark alley, she was a popular young prostitute working from a busy location. She wasnt the usual type he went for at all. Not to mention she was known to rob her clients, was supposed to be as tall as the average man and by the sounds of it could fight with the best of them so she wasnt what youd call especially vulnerable.
Can you give some evidence for "she was known to rob her clients".
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Pcdunn Pcdunn is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Can you give some evidence for "she was known to rob her clients".
I second the request for a source on this statement. A prostitute who robbed her clients would not last long in the business. Given that we're not certain of MJK's identity, we don't have any references to arrests or prison sentences for her, so how can you be sure of that?
__________________
Pat D.
---------------
Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-12-2017, 06:34 AM
Mary_Jane_Kelly Mary_Jane_Kelly is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Can you give some evidence for "she was known to rob her clients".
There were many stories of her 'rolling' a punter, running into pubs and switching shawls with other prostitutes.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Pcdunn Pcdunn is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,274
Default Gossip, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Jane_Kelly View Post
There were many stories of her 'rolling' a punter, running into pubs and switching shawls with other prostitutes.
"stories" as in gossip printed in papers, or what, exactly? Do you have a citation you could share with us?
__________________
Pat D.
---------------
Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Mary_Jane_Kelly Mary_Jane_Kelly is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
"stories" as in gossip printed in papers, or what, exactly? Do you have a citation you could share with us?
Iv definitely heard it brought up on a few threads on casebook, I dont have a source to hand but im going to try see if I can find a source...
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-12-2017, 03:57 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 6,713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Jane_Kelly View Post
There were many stories of her 'rolling' a punter, running into pubs and switching shawls with other prostitutes.
Where?

Never heard any stories along those lines.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Where?

Never heard any stories along those lines.
Ms Kelly has made quite a few statements without any substantiation about Mary Kelly GUT.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-21-2017, 05:30 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Jane_Kelly View Post


She was in a totally different situation. The other victims were older, homeless and worked in the backstreets and side alleys alone, they were hardly 'successful' at streetwalking. Mary was different because she was young, attractive, dressed well and had her own place (I started another thread on whether millers court was a brothel as theres alot suggesting it might be). She wasnt some poor old wretch in some dark alley, she was a popular young prostitute working from a busy location. She wasnt the usual type he went for at all. Not to mention she was known to rob her clients, was supposed to be as tall as the average man and by the sounds of it could fight with the best of them so she wasnt what youd call especially vulnerable.
I think Ms Kelly that Mary had seen better days, although her looks and youth probably still offered her some marketability. For now. She was apparently a finely dressed woman a few years back, and accompanied by what we might assume was an affluent gentleman to Paris...a trip which was also apparently abbreviated for some reason. Its worth mentioning that there is no mention of finer clothing in that room, one might assume it had been pawned some time before she moved into the court.

I think the evidence suggests that Mary is on the decline, and also that her interest in the lifestyle has waned. She would rather just have someone like Barnett look after her. Or perhaps the other Joe she was seeing behind his back.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.