Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gawd bless the nutters standing right on the top of that there chimney!
    (Dick Van Dyke perchance? hehehe!)
    Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
      That's an impressive erection don't you think, Rob?

Thanks for these pics and special thanks for kindly posting/sharing the Goad maps on Howard's site. I know they're not easy to obtain and it's great to have them all in one place for future reference.

Stephen
      Thanks Stephen. It looks as if they had trouble keeping it up as well

Rob

Comment

• Saw a link from Rob about the Pathe News archive and found some interesting bits of film there. East End markets and stuff.

These are screen captures from a 'tracking shot' filmed in 1960, travelling down Christian Street.

These are looking down at Pinchin Street:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinchin 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	657476

Name:	PinchinStreet 2.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	657477
        Last edited by John Bennett; 08-18-2009, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• Gunthorpe St

My take on Gunthorpe St.
          I've edited this version in photoshop and added the moonlit sky for effect.
          Hope you like it !

Best,
          Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

• Steve, That's really nice. Very atmospheric.
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Rob love your recent finds especially the first one of Edward st with the mottley collection of urchins most facing forward but some petulant child staring into the grey bleak horizon . What is going on with the fourth top window along.. candles ...window boxes ?? but yeah great ...evocotive is the word that comes to mind .. of a lost age

Comment

• Thanks Philbee,

Not sure what the boxes are. I've never come across anything like them before.

Name:	Edward Street cu 1.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	657480

All the children are facing towards the camera (some sadly barefoot) I must admit however I did think the one on the far right was walking away from the camera. And it's only clear if you zoom in to take a closer look.

Name:	Edward Street cu 2.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	657481

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                  Not sure what the boxes are. I've never come across anything like them before.
                  Rob
                  Flower boxes? Although you'd expect them to be closed off to stop pots from falling.

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                  All the children are facing towards the camera (some sadly barefoot) I must admit however I did think the one on the far right was walking away from the camera. And it's only clear if you zoom in to take a closer look.
                  Rob
                  The children make this a sad picture. Also, the way the photographer has chosen to take the picture with the subjects being backlit is, I think, unusual for the period. The children are almost silhouettes and the contrast between light and dark is high. I like this picture a lot.

edit - I can't find Edward st on google maps, so presumably another vanished street?
                  Last edited by Cubitt; 08-19-2009, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cubitt View Post
                    Flower boxes? Although you'd expect them to be closed off to stop pots from falling.
                    I'd have expected some flowers in there as well, mind you depends on what time of year it was taken. I did think a bird box/house or even some religious connotation.

Originally posted by Cubitt View Post
                    The children make this a sad picture. Also, the way the photographer has chosen to take the picture with the subjects being backlit is, I think, unusual for the period. The children are almost silhouettes and the contrast between light and dark is high. I like this picture a lot.

edit - I can't find Edward st on google maps, so presumably another vanished street?
                    I don't think the children where the subject of the photo but the street itself.
                    The back of the photo said Edward Street, Stepney now Edwin Street? There was a Edward Street just North of Stepney Church and another one off Burdett Road. Looking at the O.S Map it doesn't look like either of those. So I'm not sure where it is.

Comment

• I'd have expected some flowers in there as well, mind you depends on what time of year it was taken. I did think a bird box/house or even some religious connotation.
                      I can't imagine they could be anything but bird feeders and/or nesting boxes. "Feeders" gets my vote.

Really, fantastic photographs.

Comment

• I agree that bird boxes seems the obvious thing to me. Maybe a pigeon keeper who didn't have a backyard.

PHILIP
                        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Rob, I'm puzzled by something in the photo of the children (Post #1930). The older, taller boy on the end in the open-sleeved white shirt... where is his left arm and hand?

I can see his left shoulder, but his left sleeve appears empty- or are my eyes playing tricks?

Thanks, Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                            I agree that bird boxes seems the obvious thing to me. Maybe a pigeon keeper who didn't have a backyard.

PHILIP
                            The boxes may be feeders for birds to stop at for food, but I don't think they're for living in. Why have six grouped all together? And aren't bird boxes more enclosed?

Maybe they're baited traps for catching birds for dinner?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                              Rob, I'm puzzled by something in the photo of the children (Post #1930). The older, taller boy on the end in the open-sleeved white shirt... where is his left arm and hand?

I can see his left shoulder, but his left sleeve appears empty- or are my eyes playing tricks?

Thanks, Archaic
                              Well spotted. Definitely missing a left arm (unless he couldn't be bothered to put it in his sleeve.

Originally posted by Cubitt View Post
                              The boxes may be feeders for birds to stop at for food, but I don't think they're for living in. Why have six grouped all together? And aren't bird boxes more enclosed?

Maybe they're baited traps for catching birds for dinner?!?

Pigeon Pie?

Comment

• Loved the photo showing Lamb Street by Spitalfields Market c1912 with Hinton's in the back, couldn't see Bob though!
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X