No announcement yet.

Leaving one's beat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>>I must admit that I've always been under the impression that 'knocking up' wasn't legit and that police officers were paid for it?<<

Difficult area, it was definately against police rules, but it seems that it did go on and some senior officers may have turned a, Nelson's, blind eye to it.
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

Comment

>>In short, Mizen admitted that he did continue to knock up after speaking to Paul and Cross but only at one residence.<<

Exactly where that "one" residence was is something we don't know.

Cross claimed,

"He did not go towards Buck's-row to do this."
      dustymiller
      aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
        >>I must admit that I've always been under the impression that 'knocking up' wasn't legit and that police officers were paid for it?<<

Difficult area, it was definately against police rules, but it seems that it did go on and some senior officers may have turned a, Nelson's, blind eye to it.
        Cheers Dusty
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
          Yes, I know, and my question was in response to this statement:

"If, in fact, Lechmere & Paul simply told him of a woman either dead or drunk on Bucks Row (as was claimed) he would have failed in the first duty of a police officer - the protection of life."

And your answer didn't actually meet the point. You said "A drunk woman sparked out on the pavement might need help". That's different from the protection of life.

You also said a dead body would need to be officially dealt with. That, again, is different from the protection of life.

So perhaps I should repeat the question:

How would attending to a drunk woman in Bucks Row involve the protection of life? Or a dead woman for that matter!
          Easy to answer that one.

Mizen was wanted by a policeman in Buck´s Row who was attacked by a drunk woman. He needed assistance.

So his life had to be protected.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
            Mizen was wanted by a policeman in Buck´s Row who was attacked by a drunk woman. He needed assistance.

So his life had to be protected.
            Have you been drinking my dear boy?

Comment

This is an article about knocking up which may well be the most comprehensive examination of the evidence relating to this subject ever written:

Comment

This is an article about knocking up which may well be the most comprehensive examination of the evidence relating to this subject ever written:

http://www.orsam.co.uk/theknockup.htm
                Another meticulously researched article David. Thanks for posting it. I'd only recently mentioned that I was unclear on the concept of 'knocking up.' I'd always assumed that it wasn't legitimate. The lesson there is 'never assume anything.'
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Thank you Herlock.

Comment

http://www.orsam.co.uk/theknockup.htm
                    again well done David.
                    "Is all that we see or seem
                    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Thank you too Abby.

Comment

Thank you too Abby.
                        if you write a book on the torsos or the ripper or anything ripper related for that matter- I promise Ill buy it. : )
                        "Is all that we see or seem
                        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Abby,

I've already suggested tha David should write a ripper book but seeing how he operates I can understand the issue. It would be 1500 pages long with 150 pages of references and would make Sugden's book look like a poorly researched and hastily written pamphlet
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Funnily enough, my next book (yeah, 80s pop music) contains no fewer than seven mentions of "Jack the Ripper". I kid you not. Pure coincidence actually.

But if that doesn't make you want to buy it when it comes out next year, nothing will!

Comment

Funnily enough, my next book (yeah, 80s pop music) contains no fewer than seven mentions of "Jack the Ripper". I kid you not. Pure coincidence actually.

But if that doesn't make you want to buy it when it comes out next year, nothing will!
                              I'm a bit of an old rocker myself (mainly of the progressive kind) but I know that the heavy metal band Judas Priest did a song called 'The Ripper.' Obviously there was Screaming Lord Such but that was what 60's or 70's. Can't think of any others though?

Strangely enough I was at a gig around 2 weeks ago seeing a Dutch band called Knight Area. I was sitting in the yard of the small venue with a pint and a fag and the band were sitting nearby. They were not surprisingly speaking in Dutch but I heard one guy say 'Jack The Ripper' twice. When I asked them he told me (he being the guitarist by the way) that he had a side project going and they were working on an album about Jack the Ripper.

There has to be a 'twist' to your book David? Or is it purely a 'history of?'
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I really can't take over every thread on this forum with talk of my next book (about 80s pop music!), and you'll have to wait to find out why I am talking about Jack the Ripper in it, so let's get back to leaving one's beat....

Anyone interested in the subject is advised to read my OP in this thread ('The Conflicts of PC Mizen'):

For discussion of general police procedures, officials and police matters that do not have a specific forum.

I subsequently learnt more about fixed points; see the short sub-article entitled 'Not So Fixed Points' about halfway down the page here:

Comment

Working...
                                X