Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: What was occuring in 1888? - by DJA 5 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys Inquest - by Joshua Rogan 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by Busy Beaver 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by Herlock Sholmes 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: What was occuring in 1888? - by Joshua Rogan 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by packers stem 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - (25 posts)
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (13 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (8 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: What was occuring in 1888? - (8 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys Inquest - (3 posts)
Ripperologist: Ripperologist 161 April/May 2018 - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Witnesses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 07-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Robert Robert is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,813
Default

A strange woman indeed who would live with a man she thought to be a serial killer until the day he died, but get cold feet about sharing the same grave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-14-2016, 09:54 AM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Good idea - one time is bad enough.
Yes you are quite right. You falsely accusing me of lying in respect of a sentence that isn't even capable of being a lie is certainly bad enough on one occasion and we don't want it happening again.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Yes you are quite right. You falsely accusing me of lying in respect of a sentence that isn't even capable of being a lie is certainly bad enough on one occasion and we don't want it happening again.
Avoid it, then.

I remains that what you wrote about me was not true:

"Fisherman is really trying to argue on the basis of Dr Llewellyn's evidence that ONLY Lechmere could have done it."

To begin with, you realized that Llewellyns evidence only was not enough, you had to add your false assertion that I was saying that Lechmere must have been in Bucks Row at 3.37 to close the suggestion from both ends.

So the suggestion is lacking from the beginning, since Llewellyns evidence allows for another killer, no matter if we have him there at 4.10 or if we use the exotic idea that "I was called up at about 4" really means "I arrived in Bucks Row about 4".

Such trifles aside, it remains that you are in no position to decide on my behalf what I am "trying to argue". Nor am I trying to argue that only Lechmere could have done it - there are ample examples in many threads where I say that there is room for another killer.

On top of this, we cannot establish the exact removes in time when things happend - we can outline it broadly, we can go by the timings given by the sources and no matter how we do that, Lechmere stays in the picture.

What you do is to work like a defense attorney, wringing things to their extremes, and thatīs as it should be since it will point out that there is learoom for another killer.

But if we stay away from the extremes and look at the moderate time suggestions, we get a smaller window for an alternative killer. And indeed, if Lechmere was in place at 3.37 and if Nichols was killed at around 3.40-3.45, as clearly implied by the blood evidence and to some extent by Llewellyns suggestion, if we accept that he could not both be called up at about 4 and arrive in Bucks Row at the same time, then Charles Lechmere was with great certainty the killer.

Then again, that is what I have been saying all along: he is probably the killer.

What I have not said is that Llewellyns evidence tells us that only Lechmere could be the killer. Not am I trying to argue on basis of what he said that only Lechmere could have done it.

That is why your statement is false. If you think, as you seem, that it cannot be false, Iīm afraid it says mnore about your level of perceived infallability than of the truth.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-14-2016, 08:23 PM
drstrange169 drstrange169 is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 969
Default

Your argument belongs on the "Lechmere Continued Thread" please leave there and not disrupt yet another thread.

If anyone wants to talk about Dr. Llwellyn on this thread then it should about his grave, which I believe is in the same cemetery.
__________________
dustymiller
aka drstrange


"Whenever an expert says something that bolsters the Lechmere theory, it is not my task to disprove him ..."
Fisherman
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-14-2016, 09:45 PM
Columbo Columbo is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
The pre-planning I am talking about was the one preceding Charlesī burial. That was the burial that made sure that the two would not spend eternity together.

And since he left a neat sum of money (262 pounds) there would have been enough to buy a private gravesite, allowing room for the future arrival of his wife.

That, and that only, is what is of interest here. It leaves the possibility open that Elizabeth made a conscious decision to stay apart from Charles when dead.

As I and Gary have told you repeatedly, it is a moot question whether there was such a decision made. It cannot be proven, and it cannot be discarded.
Hi Fisherman,

I have to disagree with the last sentence. We can look at the evidence at hand and make a fairly sound judgement on why she didn't buy a grave at the time of his death.

You're currently involved in other threads about a theory that cannot be proven and also should not be discarded but assumptions have been made on the evidence available, so why can we not do it here?

Columbo
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Columbo Columbo is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrange169 View Post
Your argument belongs on the "Lechmere Continued Thread" please leave there and not disrupt yet another thread.

If anyone wants to talk about Dr. Llwellyn on this thread then it should about his grave, which I believe is in the same cemetery.
Does he have a headstone?

Columbo
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-14-2016, 09:50 PM
Columbo Columbo is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 646
Default

Hi Miss Marple,

So what is the rule concerning personal graves there? I know it Italy they recycle private graves every 20 years or so. I have relatives buried that are about to be moved from the grave to a mausoleum. I was curious because I saw a Stephen Knight documentary from 1979 and he went to William Gull's grave and I was surprised it was still there.

Columbo
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-14-2016, 09:53 PM
Columbo Columbo is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrange169 View Post
Thanks for the link Robert.

My mother was buried under rubble from a doodlebug. I still have her teddy bear that she was holding when they dug her out.

She was one of the lucky ones as she survived the experience.
Although not near as frightening I remember a few years back being in a tornado with my folks as it destroyed their home. Horrific to face death that close. I can't imagine what your mother was feeling, going through that as a child. I'm glad it worked out for her.

Columbo
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 PM
drstrange169 drstrange169 is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 969
Default

>>Does he have a headstone?<<

A bloody big one;-)
Attached Images
 
__________________
dustymiller
aka drstrange


"Whenever an expert says something that bolsters the Lechmere theory, it is not my task to disprove him ..."
Fisherman
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-14-2016, 10:32 PM
Columbo Columbo is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrange169 View Post
>>Does he have a headstone?<<

A bloody big one;-)
Holy cow! I guess his widow had a few bucks from the will!

Columbo
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.