Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by MrBarnett 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by Herlock Sholmes 3 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by MrBarnett 5 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by Herlock Sholmes 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (22 posts)
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (12 posts)
Witnesses: What EXACTLY did Maurice Lewis say? - (4 posts)
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 02-13-2018, 05:31 AM
Detective

Cheers Spitfire,

Fascinating stuff. If the news article is to be taken at face value then it seems the police were indeed pulling out all the stops to find Alphon. Yet he remained elusive.
The Durrant alias makes a lot of sense, and it also allowed Alphon to retain a French sounding surname as well.
Alphon appears to have been an only child and one fathered relatively late in life. It would be interesting to know more about the life of Mr Alphon senior, who was of an age to be active in both WW1 and WW2.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:15 AM
Assistant Commissioner

By the time that edition of The Daily Mirror hit the streets, Alphon was in police custody, as he had surrendered himself the previous night at 11.30pm at Cannon Row Police Station.

Graham
Old 02-14-2018, 06:43 AM
Chief Inspector

I noticed several interesting points from that newspaper article.

Firstly, the landlady of Alphon's parents describe Peter as having 'a London accent'.

Secondly, irrelevant to the case but nevertheless interesting, Peter's father is still working at the age of 68. Possibly he did not qualify for very much in the way of a UK state pension?

I am not sure about the comment that Peter 'would make a wonderful husband'. I suspect his preferences were not in that direction? Perhaps that is why he did not stay on in the RAF after his National Service? I would have thought he could have had a very good career in the RAF with his educational background.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Detective

By the time that edition of The Daily Mirror hit the streets, Alphon was in police custody, as he had surrendered himself the previous night at 11.30pm at Cannon Row Police Station.

It looks as if the Daily Mirror article was being used as a means to flush Aphon out. The article portrays the Alphon parents as being distressed by their experience, presumably the better to prick the conscience of their son.

I am assuming Alphon's handing himself in before midnight is connected to the parents being dragged into the enquiry. He would have seen an evening newspaper carrying similar details on the 22nd? Or did someone alert him to the events?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:44 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post

It looks as if the Daily Mirror article was being used as a means to flush Aphon out. The article portrays the Alphon parents as being distressed by their experience, presumably the better to prick the conscience of their son.

I am assuming Alphon's handing himself in before midnight is connected to the parents being dragged into the enquiry. He would have seen an evening newspaper carrying similar details on the 22nd? Or did someone alert him to the events?
Before turning himself in, Alphon very shrewdly called both the Daily Mail and Daily Mirror to tell them who he was and what he was about to do. The Mail apparently got the drop on the Mirror by reporting Alphon's surrender in their next-morning edition. There is another possibility why the Mirror was seemingly late, and that was in those days it was technically contempt of court to report on the arrest and naming of a person prior to charges being made. (I'm not 100% sure of this: maybe someone can elaborate?). Anyway, Alphon made it absolutely sure that his surrender would be in the public eye. Whatever else he may or may not have been, he was nobody's fool. He said later that his interviewing by Acott and Oxford was 'terrifying'. As well it might have been.

Graham
Old 02-14-2018, 07:32 PM
Detective

Default Mrs Buckman

The Mirror story also has Mrs Buckman saying she's never heard of Peter Alphon, contradicting Woffinden, who affirms that Alphon did stay in Horsham with her as a child. I assume Bob's right and Mrs B was just trying to avoid the press attention?
Old 02-15-2018, 02:35 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
[i]He would have seen an evening newspaper carrying similar details on the 22nd?
Exactly what happened as he settled into a seat on a district line train at Wimbledon station about 10.30pm after a day of selling almanacs.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:41 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
There is another possibility why the Mirror was seemingly late, and that was in those days it was technically contempt of court to report on the arrest and naming of a person prior to charges being made.
There were (and still are) restrictions on what you can report after arrest. Woffinden describes how Justice spent a long time tracking down the Daily Mail version with Alphon's details, before they revised the story to report on Alphon's arrest and deleted the background information.

My first reaction was that the Mirror front page posted was their first edition - the equivalent of the Mail first edition that Justice tracked down. However it is marked +++, which I think means it is the third edition.

Last edited by NickB : 02-15-2018 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:17 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
There were (and still are) restrictions on what you can report after arrest. Woffinden describes how Justice spent a long time tracking down the Daily Mail version with Alphon's details, before they revised the story to report on Alphon's arrest and deleted the background information.

My first reaction was that the Mirror front page posted was their first edition - the equivalent of the Mail first edition that Justice tracked down. However it is marked +++, which I think means it is the third edition.
28 years according to Woffo, who says Justice found a copy on a vintage newspaper stall in Brighton! Top marks for persistence!

Graham
Old 02-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Detective

Exactly what happened as he settled into a seat on a district line train at Wimbledon station about 10.30pm after a day of selling almanacs.

Thanks for the confirmation NickB.

But it only highlights the remarkable situation whereby the most wanted man in Britain was selling almanacs with impunity. The police knew of his connection with the almanacs but seemed powerless to find him for over a week. It does does not make sense. Such a man, believed capable of such a horrific crime, might have struck again.

As I said before, Alphon does not seem a man capable of mixing easily in a crowd. Why was it so hard to find him? 11 days for Britains' most wanted? And even then he handed himself in.