No announcement yet.

Best-Worst-Last-First-Whatever Lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The three smallest U.S. Mint issued coins-For perspective, the current dime is 17.9 mm in diameter:

3-Silver half dime(1795-1873)15.5 mm diameter

2-Gold dollar(1849-1889)15 mm diameter

1-Silver three cent piece(1853-1873)14 mm diameter
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Thanks Jeff. Yes, sad about Woolworths. My mum bought me my first two records there.

By the late 50s juke boxes seem to have charged a dime ("Roll Over Beethoven").

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        The four smallest denomination U.S. Mint issued coins:

1-Half Cent (1793-1857)
        2-Cent (in two sizes/1793-NOW+)
        3-Two Cent Piece (1864-1873)
        4-Three Cent Piece (in two sizes/1851-1889)
        Hi Stan,

One has to keep in mind the relevant issue of inflation rates. A coin that would be a "half cent" today would not pay for it's own mintage. In fact there is a constant argument about getting rid of pennies and nickels for that reason today. But these coins in earlier centuries or periods did have a value - the term "A proper penny" for the British penny used up to the 1960s (which was the size of our half dollar) makes sense when you realize that it bought considerably more in say 1920 than twenty five pennies (for any country) today. A cartoon I once saw from the 1930s (entitled, "When a dollar was a dollar") showed a boy at a general store ordering the equivalent (in our money) of about sixty or seventy dollars worth of goods from that one dollar his mother gave him to spend, and he has enough to purchase some licorice for himself with the remainder! This also explains that when Henry Ford priced the Model T at about $400.00 or so, it was a bargain, provided you had either saved $400.00 over a period of time, or were making enough to put aside money to pay on an installment play. That car (which was somewhat unfrilled, but certainly durable) would probably run to about $30,000 - $40,000.00 today.

Jeff
        Last edited by Mayerling; 04-07-2015, 08:40 AM.

Comment

The two men who never became President of the United States because of one vote:

1-Samuel Tilden came up one vote short of becoming President in the 1877 Electoral College results

2-Benjamin Wade missed becoming President in 1868 when the Senate failed by one vote (three times) to convict and remove President Andrew Johnson from office
          Last edited by sdreid; 04-07-2015, 08:48 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

The two men who never became President of the United States because of one vote:

1-Samuel Tilden came up one vote short of becoming President in the 1877 Electoral College results

2-Benjamin Wade missed becoming President in 1868 when the Senate failed by one vote (three times) to convict and remove President Andrew Johnson from office
            Americans some claims as President (even first President) who most reject:

Peyton Randolph of Virginia - First President of the Continental Congress (1774)
            John Hanson - First President under the Articles of Confederation (1783)
            David Atcheson - Senator from Missouri, and President Pro tempore of the U.S. Senate - on March 4, 1849 (a Sunday) President Polk had vacated his office the day before, and General Zachary Taylor had put off his inauguration until March 5, 1849. Some historians claim that technically Atcheson was President for this one day (our 11 1/2th President?). It was a cold day, and he later said he spent the whole day in bed. Atcheson is remembered for the town in Kansas named for him, and the railroad immortalized in the Oscar winning tune of "The Harvey Girls", "On the Atcheson, Topeka, and the Santa Fe".

Comment

Rulers who were Non-U.S.rulers but born or connected here

Presidents of Texas:

Stephen Austin
              Sam Houston
              Mirabeau Lamar
              Anson Jones

Kings of Hawaii:

Kamehameha I (the "Great") who unified the island kingdom - the only King honored in Congress's Statutory Hall
              Kamehameha II
              Kamehameha III
              Kamehameha IV
              Kamehameha V
              Liholiho (actually he was closer to a President than King, seeking to change the Constitution)
              David Kalakaua
              Liliokalani

also the "President of the Hawaiian Republic" after it overthrew the monarchy in 1893:

Sanford Dole (of the Pineapple family)

Filibuster Ruler (briefly) of Nicaragua:

William Walker (1855-57)

Married titles:

Princes Grace (Kelly) of Monaco
              Queen Hope Cooke of Sikkim

These are the ones that come to my mind.

Comment

In realistic terms and excluding Civil War issues, the three states of the United States that were once independent countries:

1-The Republic of Vermont (1777-1791)

2-The Republic of Texas (1836-1846)

3-The Kingdom of Hawaii (1795-1893)

Stan Reid

Comment

Just saw about Woolworths, they still exist here as a Supermarket, [Grocery Store].
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

In realistic terms and excluding Civil War issues, the three states of the United States that were once independent countries:

1-The Republic of Vermont (1777-1791)

2-The Republic of Texas (1836-1846)

3-The Kingdom of Hawaii (1795-1893)
                    Technically from 1789 to 1790 Rhode Island was not part of the U.S. (it is the last of the original 13 colonies to ratify the U.S. Constitution).

Also for nine weeks in 1848 California was separate as "the Bear Flag Republic" (which their state flag still honors).

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      Just saw about Woolworths, they still exist here as a Supermarket, [Grocery Store].
                      Consider yourself very lucky GUT.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                        Consider yourself very lucky GUT.

Jeff
                        No because herself goes there and buys all sorts of junk to clean and such that can't be eaten.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

This is from memory from a tv show I have buried somewhere in my video collection- The Top 10 most deadly animals based on the number of people they kill worldwide in an average year (from least to most):

10. Bears
                          9. Sharks
                          8. Hyaenas
                          7. Jellyfish
                          6. Big cats
                          5. Heavyweights (Elephants, Hippos, etc.)
                          4. Scorpions
                          3. Crocodiles
                          2. Bees & Wasps
                          1. Snakes

With an aside of course to acknowledge that insects and parasites that cause disease actually kill more than all of them combined.

Comment

Forgot one.

The three men who never became President of the United States because of one vote:

3-Aarom Burr came up one vote short of becoming President in the Electoral College vote that followed the 1800 campaign.

Stan Reid

Comment

Forgot one.

3-Aarom Burr came up one vote short of becoming President in the Electoral College vote that followed the 1800 campaign.
                              Possibly "4". In 1824 there was a four way race for the Presidency between Andrew Jackson (the popular favorite), John Quincy Adams (Secretary of State and real author of the so-called "Monroe Doctrine"), William Crawford (Secretary of the Treasury, and an extremely smart creator of a widespread patronage empire) and Speaker of the House Henry Clay (the first of his three Presidential runs). In the end only Adams, Jackson, and Crawford had sufficient electoral votes for them to be considered by the House of Representatives in a run-off. But Crawford had suffered several minor strokes, and was read out of the real running by the electors (ironically he recovered and lived until 1834). Clay could throw his 37 electoral votes to either Jackson or Adams and make one of them President. He finally threw his set of votes to Adams (presumably because Adams promised him the post of Secretary of State, at that time a jumping off point for future Presidents, as Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, and Quincy Adams had held the post - only Washington and John Adams had not). Jackson and his supporters would scream of a "corrupt bargain" for four years, seriously weakening Quincy Adams' Presidency, and laying the groundwork for Jackson's popular election in 1828. Actually Jackson's floor managers had also approached both Clay and Crawford to get their votes for Jackson, so there was a degree of hypocrisy and "sour grapes" here.

You could say "one vote" (Clay's) swung this election.

Jeff

Comment

As best I can tell, the most deadly life forms to Americans, excluding disease organisms and other humans, and the approximate number they kill in a quadrennial:

13-Scorpions(1)
                                12-Aligators(2)
                                11-Cougars(4)
                                10-Sharks(6)all "man eating" species
                                9-Bears(8)all three North American species
                                8-Pigs(10)
                                7-Cattle(12)mostly rodeo bull riders
                                6-Spiders(26)both native poisonous species
                                5-Snakes(60)all native poisonous species
                                4-Horses(80)
                                3-Dogs(124)
                                2-Bees(212)including wasps and hornets, mostly from allergic reactions to their venom
                                1-Deer(600)all native species, mostly from traffic accidents they cause particularly with motorcyclists

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X