Getting my wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow

It's amazing how I can read about cut throats and intestines slung over the shoulder without flinching, but I start reading about getting an IV inserted for anasthesia and I panic.

Having "conscious sedation" done, which I understand is the new norm. My doctor said I would still be conscious, but would be "unaware of what we're doing to you".

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
    It's amazing how I can read about cut throats and intestines slung over the shoulder without flinching, but I start reading about getting an IV inserted for anasthesia and I panic.

Having "conscious sedation" done, which I understand is the new norm. My doctor said I would still be conscious, but would be "unaware of what we're doing to you".
    That's actually the old norm. I had my wisdom teeth out 15 years ago and I wasn't put under. They numb you, give you an amnesiac, throw you a little gas to make you loopy and that's it. Since you don't remember anything that happens while the amnesiac is working, it isn't traumatic. The reason you won't be aware at the time is because of course nitrous makes you high as crap. Last time they gave it to me I almost cracked non linear time. I needed like, five more minutes to resolve some odd acoustic model of time I was working and I would have nailed it.
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hi Damaso,

Hope it all goes well for you.

Regards, Bridewell.
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hi Damaso
        Hope all goes/went OK
        My thoughts are definitely with you as I am sitting here waiting for an ambulance to take me in to have an abscess behind my eardrum removed - I am NOT looking forward to that!!
        Chris Scott

Comment

good luck

Hello Damaso. Hope it goes well for you.

"would still be conscious, but would be "unaware of what we're doing to you"."

Hmmm, you just described most of my students.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
            Hi Damaso
            Hope all goes/went OK
            My thoughts are definitely with you as I am sitting here waiting for an ambulance to take me in to have an abscess behind my eardrum removed - I am NOT looking forward to that!!
            Chris Scott
            Hi Damaso and Chris, hope you are both feeling better.

Comment

Damaso and Chris, best of luck. I just don't want to read that Damaso has had an op on his ear, and Chris wakes up minus wisdom teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                Hi Damaso
                Hope all goes/went OK
                Chris Scott
                I hope everything's o.k. with you now, Chris. Good luck to Damaso too.

Comment

It's now about 12 hours since the procedure ended. I was aware that there were people around me, and that they were talking, and even that there were medical instruments in my mouth, but I was under the distinct impression that I was on a roller coaster. As lynn would surely point out, I can't prove that each of my 4 wisdom teeth weren't removed by a different doctor. (Indeed, there is less bleeding on the right side...unskillful mutilation on the left?)

Took me another hour after regaining full self-awareness to regain my ability to walk and write straight. I tried to communicate with the nurses by writing on a sheet of paper, but it came out as nonsense.

I feel great now, but I am told that the next 2 days will be tougher, because the medication they pumped me full of with that IV will wear off and I'll only have vicodin.

Comment

Damaso,

I had a broken jaw as a teenager and I remember them saying that they took the liberty of removing my wisdom teeth while they were operating. For many years I thought they meant all four of them. Then just a few years ago I discovered from a dentist that I still had my upper ones and that they needed to come out. When I had it done, they numbed me for pain but otherwise I was fully conscious and fully alert. Nasty experience, but I survived. As the numbness wore off, I made a cherished new friend called oxycodone. Without it- wow, that was some serious pain. So I can relate. Have faith, recovery should only take a few days.

Comment

Hi Damaso
                      Im really glad the procedure is over and you are OK. Hope the recovery period is not too painful.
                      They came for me yesterday morning (and not before time, many would say!) and I had my ear treatment done. I was a little concerned in that it coincided with the day of the doctors' strike so I had visions of a cleaner wandering in to have a go at it!! But they were very professional and it is all done.
                      Hang in there Danaso and get well soon.
                      Chris

Comment

I'm about 30 hours removed from the procedure. I am ready for my first post-surgery social function!

I was amazed when I woke up pain-free this morning, not having taken any painkillers for the roughly 11 hours that I had been asleep. I now have minor swelling (supposed to start on day 2 and get worse on day 3 before receding) and it hurts when I touch my cheek, but not in any other situation.

Getting my tonsils removed was far, far worse than this.

Comment

I had those extracted at age 15 or 14 (due to wearing orthodontics), one each week for 4 weeks, resulting in having a puffed up cheek (from a different angle) every week for a month. What's funny is that my then piano teacher (who was pretty old and a bit slow) kept saying “Maria, you really gotta do something about your teeth, you're not getting any better“. Lol.
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

They keep wanting me to do this at the dentist for like the past 15 years. I keep telling them 'Maybe later'
                            Jordan

Comment

They also keep telling me I need to floss more or else I will get a cavity. Funny thing is I have never had a single one and I am nearing 30
                              Jordan

Comment

Working...
                              X