Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Mary

Tyler Moore that is.

A great actress. Started on the Dick Van Dyke show, so good they had to make her, her own show.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

The Jackie Kennedy of TV.
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

Comment

Some very nice tributes on all the TV news programs tonight. She had a lot of trouble shoved her way, but came thru smiling. Goodbye, dear Mary.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Well she could turn the world on with a smile....

Back in the 1960s Moore was one of a set of television actresses who were prettier or sexier than most. Her interesting sexy role was as "Laura Petrie" in The Dick Van Dyke Show. The others were Elizabeth Montgomery as "Samantha Stevens" on Bewitched, Carolyn Jones (yeah as the slinky "Morticia" on The Addams Family), Julie Newmar as "Catwoman" on Batman, Diana Rigg as "Emma Peel" on "The Avengers", and Marlo Thomas as "Anne Marie" on That Girl. Quite a group. A little later Golde Hawn (on "Laugh-In") joined them.

She will be sorely missed. She was a talented actress.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

Back in the 1960s Moore was one of a set of television actresses who were prettier or sexier than most. Her interesting sexy role was as "Laura Petrie" in The Dick Van Dyke Show. The others were Elizabeth Montgomery as "Samantha Stevens" on Bewitched, Carolyn Jones (yeah as the slinky "Morticia" on The Addams Family), Julie Newmar as "Catwoman" on Batman, Diana Rigg as "Emma Peel" on "The Avengers", and Marlo Thomas as "Anne Marie" on That Girl. Quite a group. A little later Golde Hawn (on "Laugh-In") joined them.

Jeff
          Cat woman..... grrrrrrrrrr
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            Cat woman..... grrrrrrrrrr
            Without taking anything away from Eartha Kitt and Lee Meriweather, Julie as "Catwoman"/"Selena Kyle" was purrrrfect!!!

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

Jeff
              You forgot Barbara Eden (I never forgot her!!!)

But Laura Petrie seemed the most "real" and attainable of them...a very beautiful woman, smart, funny and hip.. when TV parents were not so hip, here was a housewife and mother in capri slacks....funny to think that was SHOCKING at the time.. but it was.....she really did change the face of the TV mom

She was a talented and well loved and respected woman... and will be missed...

RIP Mary

Steadmund Brand
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                You forgot Barbara Eden (I never forgot her!!!)

But Laura Petrie seemed the most "real" and attainable of them...a very beautiful woman, smart, funny and hip.. when TV parents were not so hip, here was a housewife and mother in capri slacks....funny to think that was SHOCKING at the time.. but it was.....she really did change the face of the TV mom

She was a talented and well loved and respected woman... and will be missed...

RIP Mary

Steadmund Brand
                You're right Steadmund, I did forget Miss Eden. Actually (except for Goldie Hawn) I've never been attracted to the blonds of that era. And Mary's/ "Laura's" capri slacks were quite an awakening to me.

Thinking about it, had this been about the 1970s instead of the 1960s, I might have added Suzanne Pleshette from "The Bob Newhart Show", but her voice was the turn-on there for me.

Jeff

Comment

Her big achievement was to break the "sexy" mould. She was the first to show women as people. She managed to raise serious issues in a palatable way to the masses.
                  dustymiller
                  aka drstrange

Comment

Because I can't get this song out of my head after seeing the last scene of the final episode of the MTM show:

"It's a long way to Tipperary,
                    It's a long way to go,
                    To the sweetest gal I know!"
                    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

Working...
                    X