Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment

Ladies/Gents,

As we're all aware Annie Chapman had a piece of envelope with the Royal Sussex Regiment cap badge on, it also contained parts of an address, believed to be for the Spitalfields area. We also know that these envelopes were readily available, in the depot canteen. Which at the time was in North Camp (Aldershot). I'm curious to know where the 1st Battalion was stationed in 1888? Were they in the UK? I believe the 2nd Battalion was in India at the time.

Can anyone assist me with this line of enquiry?

They were apparently posted to England from 1885-1891. My source doesn't say where they were stationed in England.

However, the envelop doesn't really factor into the case because witnesses said she picked up the envelope as a random scrap from her doss house kitchen to keep some pills in. She had no connection to the regiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Penhalion View Post
      They were apparently posted to England from 1885-1891. My source doesn't say where they were stationed in England.

However, the envelop doesn't really factor into the case because witnesses said she picked up the envelope as a random scrap from her doss house kitchen to keep some pills in. She had no connection to the regiment.

Many thanks for this link. I've done a bit more digging and believe that the 1st Battalion was stationed at in Preston in 1888, having landed at Portsmouth in 1885?

I assume they made there was North as soon as they landed?

I agree that all the available evidence suggests that Chapman had no connection to the Sussex Regiment.

My curiosity to this part of the case is purely (and no direct connection), that I'm researching a soldier from the 1st Battalion, who was from Spitalfields. He appears to have been born in 1855 (appears to be on the 1861 & 1871 censuses), joins the army in 1876, isn't on the 1881 census, but reappears again in 1891, but is gone again by 1901 (I assume he's died by then?). I know he was overseas between 1879 & 1883, I'm hoping to be able to ascertain from his service papers whether he was back in Spitalfields in 1888. I also hope to be able to ascertain an address for him. I assume that he must have had a permanent address to have been included in the various censuses? As apposed to have been frequenting doss houses or indeed workhouses. Any views on that anyone?

Comment

If he was on active duty with his regiment, wouldn't he be living in barracks? What is the man's name?

Comment

Originally posted by Penhalion View Post
          If he was on active duty with his regiment, wouldn't he be living in barracks? What is the man's name?

I've been doing a bit more work on his military service today as it happens. I knew he joined up in 1876, and went to Ceylon with the 57th Regiment of foot, in 1879 they were supposed to go to Gibraltar but were diverted to Natal, for the Zulu War, landing at Durban on March 11th and was in South Africa till November 1st, 1879 when they embarked for England. I think I've found him on the 1881 census, he's listed as living in Kensington, London (possibly at Kensington Barracks). At some point between 1879 & 1882 he then joins the 1st Sussex Regiment and goes to Egypt between 29/08/1882 and 14/02/1883. The 1st stayed out in Egypt for a number of years, so I believe he came back to Britain to be discharged and returned to Spitalfields. My work is however ongoing..... His name was William Moss.

Comment

Hi
            It looks like he joined the reserves c 1882/3, after finishing his service in Egypt and on 13th March 1888 he enlisted for 'section D ' ( I think section D may be further voluntary reserve service after compulsory reserve service but not certain) - a note in his records says he enlisted [in section D]for 4 years from May 88.
            Last edited by Debra A; 03-04-2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
              Hi
              It looks like he joined the reserves c 1882/3, after finishing his service in Egypt and on 13th March 1888 he enlisted for 'section D ' ( I think section D may be further voluntary reserve service after compulsory reserve service but not certain) - a note in his records says he enlisted [in section D]for 4 years from May 88.

Many thanks Debra, that's very interesting and I think your right. I know soldiers had to do a certain amount of time on the reserve once they'd finished their colour service. I don't have direct access to his service papers yet, but they are in the pipe line. I believe he joined up when he was about 18, so I'm hoping his parents will be listed, so I can firm up my findings on the various censuses. I'm hoping to be able to ascertain some addresses for him in Whitechapel for both pre & post army service. Perhaps even a civilian occupation.

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
                Many thanks Debra, that's very interesting and I think your right. I know soldiers had to do a certain amount of time on the reserve once they'd finished their colour service. I don't have direct access to his service papers yet, but they are in the pipe line. I believe he joined up when he was about 18, so I'm hoping his parents will be listed, so I can firm up my findings on the various censuses. I'm hoping to be able to ascertain some addresses for him in Whitechapel for both pre & post army service. Perhaps even a civilian occupation.
                If you PM me with your email address I can email you his service records if you like.

Comment

I'd need to check...But I think the Cardwell reforms introduced the idea of 7 years with the colours, followed by reserve service...Of course, those reforms were introduced right in this period...1881, I think?

Comment

Hi PC

By 1891 he seems to have moved up a couple of doors from where he was in 1888 - he's now at 13 Thomas St. (Carman.)

By 1901 he seems to be at 103 Brabazon St. (Road foreman for council.)

In 1911 he's in Morris Rd. The address seems like 18 but there's something written just before the 18 that I can't decipher.

From his marriage we know his father was Joseph.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out with this project, it is gratefully appreciated!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X