A Few Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Questions

1. What exactly is a Bank Holiday? Is there something comparable in the U.S.?

2. What would have been the normal work week back then (if there was such a thing)? Did people work Monday through Saturday and was Saturday all day?

3. When would most people have gotten paid? Would it have been on Saturday?

Thanks for your responses.

c.d.

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

2. What would have been the normal work week back then (if there was such a thing)? Did people work Monday through Saturday and was Saturday all day?

c.d.
    I can't answer everything, but yes we have bank holidays. Most of the time they are holidays that used to be postal holidays as well, but aren't anymore. President's day for example.

And people have typically been paid on Thurs since the 50s, because you can deposit the check, and have money for Friday night. I think it started as a laborer thing and grew.
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

c.d.
      In the States, at least, the standard during the 1880s was a ten hour day six days a week, with Sunday off. http://www.nber.org/papers/h0015.pdf By the early 20th century, the "short Saturday" had become the general practice, where one worked only a half day on Saturdays. Saturdays in any event were the day when workers were paid. The payment was in cash, so that Saturday also became a popular day for payroll robberies.
      - Ginger

Comment

Thanks for your responses but I was aiming for that information as it related to to the LVP.

c.d.

Comment

Thanks for your responses but I was aiming for that information as it related to to the LVP.

c.d.
          Here you go: http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/...ry=9&year=1888 That shows the UK Bank Holidays for 1888.
          - Ginger

Comment

Working...
          X