The Possible Murder of Georgina Byrne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
    The St James Gazette adds that she had property of considerable value on her and superficial bruises on both shoulders indicating she had been roughly used.
    Yes I read that about the bruises in one report but it wasn't (apparently) mentioned at the inquest so presumably not true.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
      Yes I read that about the bruises in one report but it wasn't (apparently) mentioned at the inquest so presumably not true.
      One report said she died of heart disease.

The St James Gazette also said the parcel had the name of a tradesman residing at Sun-Street, Canterbury.

Comment

Kennedy's Shoe Warehouse

The Star
        MONDAY, 10 SEPTEMBER, 1888.

A BLACKFRIARS MYSTERY.
        A Woman Found on the Pavement Dead and her "Husband" Missing.

Shortly after eleven o'clock on Saturday night, while patrolling his beat in the Blackfriars-road, Constable M73 noticed a crowd assembled opposite the late Rowland Hill Chapel. A well-dressed young woman was lying on the pavement. There were two gentlemanly-looking men, one of whom was examining her. The police officer said, "Stand on one side." The other man, who was wearing a tall silk hat, remarked, "I am her husband." A surgeon could not be found, and the man wearing a tall hat remarked that "he would go himself in search of a medical man." The body was removed in an ambulance to the hospital, where the woman was found to be dead. The husband did not appear at the hospital, nor had he been seen up to a late hour last night. Before he left to go in search of a medical man he handed some property over to the police, consisting of a reticule, parasol with bow handle, mounted in silver, and a brush and comb in a white calico bag. The following is the description of the woman: - Age 27 years, height 5ft. 5in., complexion fair, eyes blue, hair light auburn, teeth very regular and white. Dress, black silk dress, with satin stripes, black silk bodice, mauve satin stomacher, mauve satin petticoat, two white line petticoats, flannel ditto, high laced-up boots, and dark stockings. On person gold watch and chain, gold bracelet jewelled, four rings - a wedding ring and keeper, and a ruby and emerald; one sovereign and a half in gold and two florins. On opening the umbrella another sovereign fell out. A paper parcel containing a pair of boots and other articles bore the name of a tradesman in Canterbury, Kent.
        The event is surrounded by mystery. One of our reporters called on Dr. Luard, at St. Thomas's Hospital, to see if he could ascertain the cause of death, and thereby gain a clue. "There is no evidence to show how she died," said the young doctor.
        The police know nothing of the strange affair either. The description already given of the woman is pretty correct, but the inspector at Kennington-road station is in entire ignorance of the man who is alleged to have been standing beside the woman when Constable 73 L arrived. The deceased woman was carrying a brown-paper parcel in her hand. On this was printed "Kennedy's Shoe Warehouse, Sun-street, Canterbury." Inside the paper was a pair of button boots, patent leather fronts, and on the paper was written - "Mrs Byrne, 42, Broad-street."
        The body has been removed to the parish mortuary awaiting identification. It was kept for some time at the hospital waiting for the arrival of the "husband," but he did not come.

Comment

As for the deceased I did a little bit of preliminary work in Ancestry.

Her maiden name was Nelson and she married John Byrne in circa 1877 (unconfirmed).

At the time of her death she was living at 42A Broad Street in Canterbury.

She had a son, Reginald John Matthew Byrne (born 1882) and she left a personal estate of just over £138.

Comment

One report said she died of heart disease.
            Well the verdict of the inquest was "syncope" which could be almost anything.

Comment

On this was printed "Kennedy's Shoe Warehouse, Sun-street, Canterbury."
              What's the significance of this Jerry?

Comment

What's the significance of this Jerry?
                It was in answer to my own post previously about a tradesman in Sun-Street. Then I found in the Star the tradesman was, Kennedy's Shoe Waehouse.

Comment

It was in answer to my own post previously about a tradesman in Sun-Street. Then I found in the Star the tradesman was, Kennedy's Shoe Waehouse.
                  Ah, right.

Comment

The other man, who was wearing a tall silk hat, remarked, "I am her husband."
                    Crumbs, look at that! A tall silk hat. Could he have been any more stereotypical Jack the Ripper?

Comment

Crumbs, look at that! A tall silk hat. Could he have been any more stereotypical Jack the Ripper?
                      Was thinking the same.

Doesn't it sound like a foiled robbery attempt, David? The coin in the umbrella might have been tossed down when the copper showed up and the man handing the parcel to PC Duffin? Almost seems as though he had taken it from Mrs. Byrne and then was caught red handed so he handed it to the cop and took off.

Comment

Was thinking the same.

Doesn't it sound like a foiled robbery attempt, David?
                        It could be but where is the evidence of the second man? I mean, who arrived at the scene first? Did the second man vanish too?

Comment

It could be but where is the evidence of the second man? I mean, who arrived at the scene first? Did the second man vanish too?
                          This says both men left the scene.

London St. James Gazette
                          September 11, 1888

Comment

The Star
                            MONDAY, 10 SEPTEMBER, 1888.

A BLACKFRIARS MYSTERY.
                            A Woman Found on the Pavement Dead and her "Husband" Missing.

Shortly after eleven o'clock on Saturday night, while patrolling his beat in the Blackfriars-road, Constable M73 noticed a crowd assembled opposite the late Rowland Hill Chapel. A well-dressed young woman was lying on the pavement. There were two gentlemanly-looking men, one of whom was examining her. The police officer said, "Stand on one side." The other man, who was wearing a tall silk hat, remarked, "I am her husband." A surgeon could not be found, and the man wearing a tall hat remarked that "he would go himself in search of a medical man."
                            Probably not relevant but that seems a strange phrase to make. Who had already looked for one and where?
                            Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 08-31-2017, 03:02 PM.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Was Duffin the least curious police officer ever? Why didn't he at least ask the two men what had happened?
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

This says both men left the scene.
                                Yes, indeed, Jerry, I mentioned in the OP that the initial press reports said both men left the scene but then at the inquest, according to the press reports of it, there was only mention of one man not being seen again, with nothing said about the other man at all. But perhaps they did both leave.

Comment

Working...
                                X