Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research Question

Hello all,

Apologies if this is on the wrong thread, also for the inevitable fact that a lot of people will probably read this and think 'what an idiot', but in my defence I would point out that while I would consider myself fairly conversant with the case, through books and this site, I am new to 'physical' Ripper research.

I have actually done research into other areas in which I am interested in the archives of, for example, Bethlehem ('Bedlam') Hospital and the Royal College of Physicians (regarding George III), however this will be the first time I have done physical research into the Whitechapel murders, and also the first time I will have done research at the National Archives - which is a bit unbelievable seeing as they are located about a minute and a half from my parents' flat! As I will be staying there for a few days over this weekend and a bit, I have finally decided to 'dive in'.

Unfortunately I have found that, to my mind at least, the National Archives website is possibly the least user-friendly archive portal I have ever seen (although it does look nice!).

Does anyone who has looked at the 'Ripper' file in the Archives know the item number(s) or have any suggestions on how to get hold of them? For the life of me I can't work this site out.

I know there is an awful lot missing from this file, and also that what is there has been gone through hundreds of thousands of times; I am not expecting to find anything mind-blowing, but as I said the fact that I have been literally around the corner from these documents and with my interest in the case it seems a bit silly that I've never handled them, and as I move into doing more paper-based Ripper research, it seems as good a place to start as any.

Any help greatly appreciated!

A-Z

Hello Trib. Have you had a go at Begg, Fido and Skinner's "The Jack the Ripper A-Z"? I think they list the information you seek.

The best.
    LC

Comment

This page on the National Archives website may help:

It seems to have replaced the online research guide that used to be available, of which you can see an archived version here:

Comment

Thanks both!

Comment

Working...
        X