Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Pearly Poll have previous for robbery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Pearly Poll have previous for robbery?

I've just stumbled accross an interseting case of a prostitute by the name of Mary Conelly who was aquitted of attempting with others to rob a Norwegian sailor at knifepoint. Was this Mary Conelly Pearly Poll?

If so it raises some interesting questions regarding the Tabram murder:

If Conelly and her associates were in the habit of robbing punters is it not possbile that the murderer of Tabram was in fact at first the inteded victim of a robbery hence the use of two weapons, thus:

Killer enters George Yard with Tabram, then, Tabram draws the smaller knife and attempts to rob killer. Killer then strikes or pushes Tabram to floor causing her to hit her head and be rendered insensible (The PM showed an "effusion of blood" between skull and scalp). Following this the killer disarms and proceeds to mutilate Tabram, using initially her knife followed by his own, possibly applying manual strangulation prior to this.

Was this incedental killing the awakening of JTR? Did the killer go on to try to relive the high given to him by this killing by refining his MO for his later victims.

More outlandishly did Conelly kill Tabram or perhaps know the identity of the killer? Her statements to the police do not add up: How could she not know the names of the soldiers that she claimed to be drinking with for most of the night or at least furnish a better description? Why did she fail to attend the first identitiy parade of soldiers?

Originally posted by Harry Poland View Post
    I've just stumbled accross an interseting case of a prostitute by the name of Mary Conelly who was aquitted of attempting with others to rob a Norwegian sailor at knifepoint. Was this Mary Conelly Pearly Poll?

If so it raises some interesting questions regarding the Tabram murder:

If Conelly and her associates were in the habit of robbing punters is it not possbile that the murderer of Tabram was in fact at first the inteded victim of a robbery hence the use of two weapons, thus:

Killer enters George Yard with Tabram, then, Tabram draws the smaller knife and attempts to rob killer. Killer then strikes or pushes Tabram to floor causing her to hit her head and be rendered insensible (The PM showed an "effusion of blood" between skull and scalp). Following this the killer disarms and proceeds to mutilate Tabram, using initially her knife followed by his own, possibly applying manual strangulation prior to this.

Was this incedental killing the awakening of JTR? Did the killer go on to try to relive the high given to him by this killing by refining his MO for his later victims.

More outlandishly did Conelly kill Tabram or perhaps know the identity of the killer? Her statements to the police do not add up: How could she not know the names of the soldiers that she claimed to be drinking with for most of the night or at least furnish a better description? Why did she fail to attend the first identitiy parade of soldiers?
    Well, Connelly did vanish for awhile and then was of little help when she did return. That makes me suspect she knew the murderer and thought she might be next.

And despite rooming with Annie Chapman, Connelly was not forthcoming with information . . . .

Does start the mind to wondering just what the motives for some of the murders might actually have been.

There was some consideration that JtR might be a sailor. If there was a group of prostitutes who went about robbing sailors and one (or some) sought revenge . . . . .

opens up possibilities, doesn't it?

curious

Comment

Hi Curious,

prostitutes robbing sailors is nothing new...
      In my town, Toulon, it happens weekly - and still, no ripper.

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
        Hi Curious,

prostitutes robbing sailors is nothing new...
        In my town, Toulon, it happens weekly - and still, no ripper.

Amitiés,
        David
        I agree Dave, people finding ways to steal from other people, "rolling sailors" for example, is a time-honored pursuit. However, cheat the wrong one just once and who knows?

The find in Old Bailey made me aware of something I had not thought of before. . .

curious

Comment

Hi Curious,

it's a nice find, I agree. One problem is that Mary Conelly was certainly a pretty common name...
          However the age may fit (although we don't know PP's age, she doesn't seem young, fresh and green in 1888), also the fact she was a (drinking) prostitute.
          Have you noticed her : "I'm known as a hard working woman"?- or something like that...
          Funny...

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

Most of these "women" rolled their customers when they least expected it I.E.- after they had passed out-etc. If they robbed someone before hand they usually had a male cohort to help strongarm the poor guy. That's why military personel usually traveled in pairs when "out slumming" ; to prevent that from happening.
            Best Wishes,
            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
              Hi Curious,

it's a nice find, I agree. One problem is that Mary Conelly was certainly a pretty common name...
              However the age may fit (although we don't know PP's age, she doesn't seem young, fresh and green in 1888), also the fact she was a (drinking) prostitute.
              Have you noticed her : "I'm known as a hard working woman"?- or something like that...
              Funny...

Amitiés,
              David
              Funny and sad.

I'm so glad to be living in this day and age.

and isn't that silly for me to say? Just last week, in my small rural community, a young man was killed when he and 2-3 others tried to break into a home. Most likely for drugs, although the homeowner is, so far, coming off like the victim. Maybe he was, but most home invasions at night are drug related.

so, no matter what era it is, there's still that low seamy side of life.

curious

Comment

Hi Curious,

yes, it's a sad and pitiful story...
                Must say I'm with the homeowner...
                Who knows what can happen when 3 guys break into your home at night ?
                Burglars have to break into empty houses...not good, of course, but far better...
                If anybody breaks into my home at night, be sure I'll shoot first.
                Especially if my son is with me.

Amitiés,
                David

Comment

Looks like I can't take the credit for this discovery, there's been a fair bit of discussion on this case before.

From what was said here it makes the Conelly connection even more intersting.

I would suggest as a line of enquiry that we attempt to ascertain whether Conelly had a son or younger brother. (based on the possibilty that Conelly knew the identity of the Ripper. also the son of a drunken unmarried prostitute would fit the profile quite nicely). If there was a son and he was in the arera around the relevant dates he would be a very interesting young man to look into

Comment

Working...
                  X